IT.COM

discuss Your HAND REGD & DROPPED DOMAINS success stories!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you think expired, dropped, closeout domains are profitable?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hi all

the purpose of this thread, as the title says, is to share with each other our hand regd and dropped domains success stories.

We debated a gazillion times about the viability and the profitability of the expired domains and I think it will be useful for everyone ( especially for those who are new in this industry ) to see how many of us made some money by selling a domain that we hand registered or that was a dropped.

I ask you not to be cryptic though, so please say what the name/s was/were ( maybe hide some characters if you need to ), if it/they was/were hand regd, a dropped, GD closeout etc and the selling price.

I really look forward to seeing your success stories guys & gals
!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Sara

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your opinion on
boostnames vs brandbucket?
Well Boostnames is my site, i built it. So in this case i will keep my opinons to myself.

•••
Understood, beautiful looking site you have.
Great portfolio for sale as well. Best of luck.

•••
Hand Reg a domain name with .99 - WeAffiliate.com and sell it on Flippa for $300 when I started with flippa.

•••
In the midst of all the well-dones and great flips here. I thought I'd just like to remind some people reading this thread not to get caught up and think 'wow I'm gonna definitely make money from regging domains/picking up drops' because its so easy to get a skewed reality reading these success threads. And when you don't get the awesome results posted here and elsewhere you start getting frustrated and lose motivation.

For every 1 success, there's probably 10 others who've lost money. For many of the successful flips, they have probably gone through years/months of learning and hardwork + money lost + lessons learnt.

Just a dose of reality to keep it, you know, real.

•••
In the midst of all the well-dones and great flips here. I thought I'd just like to remind some people reading this thread not to get caught up and think 'wow I'm gonna definitely make money from regging domains/picking up drops' because its so easy to get a skewed reality reading these success threads. And when you don't get the awesome results posted here and elsewhere you start getting frustrated and lose motivation.

For every 1 success, there's probably 10 others who've lost money. For many of the successful flips, they have probably gone through years/months of learning and hardwork + money lost + lessons learnt.

Just a dose of reality to keep it, you know, real.

Very true! Its just a matter of luck!

•••
I do hope to post here sooner than later :)

•••
I love hand regs, but I've been very careful to only register keywords that make sense, are pronounceable, and are commercially relevant (i.e., something similar to other domains that have sold, and that a company can make money off of).

My first sale was a handregged .DE in 2010: MietwagenWien .DE ("Vienna car rental"). Sold for $410 on Sedo.

Baubild.info - "Construction photos" Regged w/ .99 cent code. Sold for 500 Euros on Sedo.

Regged (Verb) Your Privacy .com. Sold 8 months later to a guy who contacted me via email for $5350.

•••
it just surprised me someone bought this domain (mietwagenwien) with a .de..
as you focused on vienna/wien most end users here in austria would look to buy the .at domain as this is our natural tld and preferred even over .de

ps: are you from germany or austria maybe?

•••
it just surprised me someone bought this domain (mietwagenwien) with a .de..
as you focused on vienna/wien most end users here in austria would look to buy the .at domain as this is our natural tld and preferred even over .de

ps: are you from germany or austria maybe?

I got the name wrong, I'm sorry. I can't believe I did that - I confused it with some other car rental domains I used to own.

It was MietwagenAustralien.de. I blogged about it at the time and posted in the "sold" thread on NP. It sold for 360 Eur on Sedo.

The appeal of the name is that Australia is a pretty big destination for German tourists. You're right that "Wien" wouldn't make quite as much sense, alhough a lot of mietwagen names are taken (and developed). The reason they working is for Germans who are researching rental cars before they travel. And there are a few big rental agencies in Europe who serve and have partnerships in different countries. They tend to own large networks of domains. (At least, they did in 2010 - I don't own these types of names anymore, so I don't know).

No, I'm from the U.S., but I did briefly live and study in Vienna. German was my language in high school. When I started domaining in 2010, I was intrigued by all of the .DE sales in DNJournal. .DE is still very strong for good keywords, but at the time, Germans were really voracious about buying domains (even English keywords, .infos, etc.).

•••
Sold LevelUpConstruction.com for $800. Hand registered a few weeks ago.

•••

great name. I think that buyer falling in love with your name!

•••
Buying good-looking .COMs is the key to steady end user sales over time.

•••
yup.

Mostly i invest on good looking .coms

•••
congrats! just curious how you sold it. did you list it for sale somewhere online and have someone find it or did an end user contact you and make an offer? thx

•••
one highly brandable name imo that I recently hand reg'd is mixology.io . it's an end user name i think. I put up a landing page with a contact form :). shall see what happens!

•••
Sold another hand register for four figures, will update once escrow closes ;)

•••
Sold another hand register for four figures, will update once escrow closes ;)
Congrats. How long from purchase to sale? Also, online marketplace, they contacted you, or you contacted them? Always eager to hear how sales went down.

•••
We just sold a few more recent hand regs through reaching out to potential end buyers.
EquineMortalityInsurance.com - $750
IntermodalTransport.com - $450

•••
bought a domain on GD expiring auctions 2 years ago for $21 (C#!#J#!#Automotive) and sold it for 1600 euros (approx $2K) on Sedo a few weeks ago. Funny thing is I had already, at least twice, reached out to the eventual buyer with a buy now price considerably lower but never heard back. I had contacted a few other possible buyers and almost sold it for $150 but the buyer backed out and I attempted to sell it for < $50 here on NP a few times too. But, glad it didn't sell and eventually the buyer made a 1000 euro offer on sedo that was already a great offer... I could see they were just recently registered on sedo and their country of origin matched what I assumed the likely best buyer would be... so I countered with 1600 euros and they accepted. Some people might say "hey they offered 1000, why counter so low?!" but I was already happy with the ROI, didn't want to risk it being "cheaper'" to just pursue the domain with a lawyer instead of paying some outlandish price and quite simply didn't want to blow the sale.

A few years ago I had a company reach out via a domain registrar broker with a $1K offer on one of my better domains which had whois privacy and I was developing (really) and did NOT want to sell (unless an absolute ridiculous to refuse offer came in) and I answered as such. A few days later they reached out through ANOTHER broker AT the registrar the domain was at (who could obviously reach out to me directly) but with the same 1K offer. I again refused. Then a week later I received an email from a domain lawyer representing the still not known company asking if the domain is for sale..... In all of this they never asked "how much would it take?" or raised their offer. And, AFTER they filed a TM on the domain term I was able to figure out who they were and they DEFINITELY could have afforded a much higher offer but, despite going through 2 brokers, an expensive lawyer and registering the TMs they did not.... which showed me that even BIG companies sometimes make their best offer straight off and it either is accepted or not but they are not necessarily going to reach deep in the pockets to "make it happen" no matter what.

So, with this sale I decided the roi was good enough, with no legal risk, and I helped do my part to show that not all domainers are unreasonable blood suckers but rather CAN also be reasonable in pricing ;)

great thread and nice shares of success so far!

great post

i am newish to domain names etc but your post gives valuable insight in to the negotiation that goes in to making a sale which will help those new in the industry etc

and also proves that even with a good quality domain name which this obviously must have been there is still much negotiation to do to get the desired result

•••
We just sold a few more recent hand regs through reaching out to potential end buyers.
EquineMortalityInsurance.com - $750
IntermodalTransport.com - $450

whoever bought intermodaltransport.com got an absolute bargain they are probably still drinking champagne celebrating as that is an extremely valuable domain at the mo to the right transport co

•••
My mistake - the domain was: IntermodalDrayage.com

•••
•••
Congrats. How long from purchase to sale? Also, online marketplace, they contacted you, or you contacted them? Always eager to hear how sales went down.

Sold Cuffin.com for $1040 which was hand registered earlier for $2 :)
Sold Date: 10-may-2016
Creation Date: 26-jul-2015

They reached out with an opening offer of $1000 and I was happy with it :)

•••
i hand regged an absolute peach of a .com but allowed it to expire - someone gotan absolute bargain

•••
Do you like these guys? I had tried signing up, but my application was rejected yesterday citing too few domains. However, I didn't know there was a minimum or else I would have submitted more. How many do you have listed with them, and would you recommend Voodoo over DomainNameSales?

DomainNameSales is far better than Voodoo. Simply submit all your names with them to see if they accept you application.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back