NameSilo

advice Young domainer (U16) with very limited budget

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Duncan729

Established Member
Impact
I buy domains with the small amounts of cash I muster and currently own, one website (Unsure if I'm allowed to put a link on) and am working on another along with a one word .io and two word travel .com. My functioning website has both the .com and .net extensions and I stupidly rejected a large offer on the domain previously.

I'm unsure on whether to continue with this as a hobby as so far it has only been costly on my savings and with no significant returns. Anyone have an advice on where I should go from here or if I should just switch to cleaning cars like a standard teenager.

Note:All but my one word domain was hand registered

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At that age saving is the best, IMO. Try to build up a skill set, then a job with income (maybe designing websites). It's good to practice to build websites with the domains you have. But if you're looking at it as an investment, it is highly speculative (pretty much meaning you're guessing which domains you'll make a return on) and a lot of domains you have to hold on to for a bit before you see returns (yearly registration fees could pile up fast). I admire you for catching on this early, but focus on saving (for college/vocational school), get a skill set, get income and then come back to it once you have a cash flow. Best of luck!

•••
Thanks for the advice, I was wondering if you could PM me (I've used up my two daily on answering sale requests) so I could get an opinion on those I own.

In actual fact I have no plan on going into web development and it's really only a hobby!

•••
At that age saving is the best, IMO. Try to build up a skill set, then a job with income (maybe designing websites). It's good to practice to build websites with the domains you have. But if you're looking at it as an investment, it is highly speculative (pretty much meaning you're guessing which domains you'll make a return on) and a lot of domains you have to hold on to for a bit before you see returns (yearly registration fees could pile up fast). I admire you for catching on this early, but focus on saving (for college/vocational school), get a skill set, get income and then come back to it once you have a cash flow. Best of luck!
Above

•••
People often make the mistake of treating this like a "hobby".

If collecting domains brings you joy and happiness regardless of the return, then it's a hobby.

If you want to own domains in order to profit from them, then it's a business.

If your business is failing the change your strategy or quit. Most people quit because they finally realize how hard this is when profits aren't just falling onto their lap.

My best advice to you would be to stop buying any domains and learn the industry. Then come back with a better approach, or leave the industry and focus on something else.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back