Dynadot

Yes, another "What hosting is best" thread.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I am trying to decide between bluehost and hostmonster.
Here is the project I am trying:
I need a portfolio for my design business. I am not expecting a whole lot of traffic but I will probably need quite some space to upload all my high quality images.
Both have the same hosting specs, 300 gb storage etc. but hostmonster is about $40 cheaper over a 2 year contract.

Can i get your opinion on these two hosts and let me know what pros and cons go along with these.
Any tips are appreciated as this is my first website and I've never had to find a good hosting company.

Thanks.
Brian.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally speaking, I would not trust any host who offers 300GB disk space and 3000GB bandwidth for about $6 a month.

Do you know how much space your images will actually need?

•••
I'd recommend you reevaluate what you actually need in terms of space. I doubt you have a need for 300GB space and 3000GB of bandwidth for a low traffic website :)

•••
Yes i know that I dont need 300 gb of space, of course not, who does. However, these are the 2 best looking option for the price. If you guys have better options I could look at, i'm open to tips, I just dont have a $30 per month budget.

•••
I can personally recommend apthost.com, $5.95 will only get you 3GB diskspace and 50GB bandwidth, but there is no setup cost and that is their price for a 1 month contract ( you only pay for 1 month at a time, not something crazy like 24 months in advance )

I've only needed support once, but they were very quick to respond.

( that's why I asked if you knew how much disk space you need, because there would not have been any point recommending them if you did need 300GB disk space but don't have $30 a month to spend )

•••
EliteDesigns said:
Yes i know that I dont need 300 gb of space, of course not, who does. However, these are the 2 best looking option for the price. If you guys have better options I could look at, i'm open to tips, I just dont have a $30 per month budget.

The point is a lot of these hosts doing those large plans are appealing to the family tree web sites and non critical web sites. They offer large amounts of space and bandwidth to entice the users. Their uptime and support response times may not be as good as hosts offering lower amounts of space and bandwidth. Simply due to the fact that users can use the resources without issue. These larger ones some people come on with forums with 500 users online 24/7 trying to host them on these types of hosts. As a result they have a lot more issues with regards to reliability due to the few who believe they can actually use 300GB of space.

•••
EliteDesigns said:

You should first decide on two things. One is your requirements and the other is the budget.
How much disk space and BW do you think you will need? And how much you are willing to pay for that. Don't forget teh first rule that you will get for what you pay.
Don't go for a package that offers more than you need even if the price is same.

•••
I think that looking for web host with tons of space and bandwidth on it is not a good deal and you have to change you mind.
Agree you will be able to find something that can suit you fully for six buks. I personaly can sugest you looking at WebHostingbuzz.com. They seems to have budget deals for affrodable prices (not for cheap ones).
Money likes to be counted.

•••
Yeah, If you do a little search you will be able to find hosts offering a few hundred GB of disk space for a few $ and you may even be able to find hosts offering unlimited disk space and bandwidth, that too for not a big amount.

That is overselling or I would say massive overselling. It would be better to keep away from them if you are looking for a reliable service.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back