IT.COM

Searching For Best Hosting Companies

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm looking for people who've used various different hosting companies over the years and who can offer a good recommendation.

I have sites hosted with Web.com (formerly Interland). I can say without emotion or exaggeration that this is THE WORST HOSTING EXPERIENCE I have ever had. In fact, working with Web.com is the worst experience I've ever had on the Internet.

* Horrible customer service (if you can ever get through)

* Complete system outage for 12 days this past December, leaving my retail site totally inaccessible from December 19 - 30. They kept assuring me systems would be back up "by tomorrow". No explanation. No updates. Still no apology.

Clearly, time to move on. I'm hoping I can migrate to a hosting company where customer service is valued and downtime is viewed as an existential threat.

Site gets about 1,000 visitors/day, various MySql databases, active e-commerce. Will still keep a shared server, but I want the option to upgrade to dedicated server.

I've read a few good reviews about BlueHost, Hostmonster, ThePlanet & GoDaddy..

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All the companies you listed except ThePlanet provide unlimited space/bandwidth, so if you do not know the problems with that, I suggest you view this thread: http://www.namepros.com/web-hosting-discussion/551039-dangers-of-unlimited-space-and-bandwidth.html

ThePlanet specializes in Dedicated Servers, however, BlueHost/Host Monster do not provide Dedicated Servers, so those are two you can cross out.

I've heard Positive and Negative remarks about GoDaddy/The Planet, but that's how it is with any host with a large portion of clients, but if I was choosing from those two, I would choose ThePlanet.

•••
I would suggest that you look in to a VPS or Dedicated server, not unlimited or overselling hosts, to give you the control over your retail website, they provide you the control which will benefit your business.

•••
If your averaging 1k visitors a vps is definently your best bet.

•••
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.

•••
James is right. VPS server that is better then dedicated server and that is less expensive.
Place your request in the request section to start getting direct offers.

•••
I suppose that web hosting providers offering tons of the space and bandwidth for few bucks. Just something like free web hosting providers. And you know free web host has high fee.

•••
BlueHost, Hostmonster, ThePlanet & GoDaddy..

Bluehost and hostmonster are in fact the same company which in fact is far not superb...

Godaddy has not very good reputation as a host.

The planet - cannot say anything, no experience.

I have had an excellent experience with webhostgiant.com. Their shared hosting is one of the cheapest and at the same time largest by specifications. They are rather experienced - already nine years they are online. Uptime was really great, and support is also user-friendly.

•••
Thank for all of your recommendations.

Your suggestion of web hosts are Linux based web hosting plan. So what is your opinion of Windows based web hosting providers?

•••
Widows web hosting is small part of the web hosting market. That's why only linux companies mentored here.

Last edited:
•••
Your suggestion of web hosts are Linux based web hosting plan. So what is your opinion of Windows based web hosting providers?

This is a question which just might ignite a flame war on most tech forums. Without making too many normative statements, but let's just put it this way. There is a reason that the majority of hosts used Linux and that Windows is clearly in the minority. Much of it depends upon the System Admin. that runs everything, of course, but numbers don't lie in this sort of arena.

As far as you needing a VPS, I don't think I agree with that. 1,000 unique visitors a day is really not that many. The reason you're having trouble is that you're looking at hosts that oversell and base their business model on that. 1,000 visitors a day are only going to take up a in the 10-20GB range of bandwidth (unless you're running heavy download sites, etc), so you don't need 500, 1000, or unlimited amounts of bandwidth. Space is pretty self explanatory and much easier to provide for. These hosts that oversell all bet that you won't use those huge amounts of resources, but your website is getting to that threshold where you're suddenly informed one day that oops -- your website uses up too much, so you need to upgrade.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience, but definitely don't apply it to the rest of us out there in the hosting world. Some companies value customer service, and some don't unfortunately.

•••
try out www.zbyte.org paid plans .. i find them very good for 5 of my site's

•••
Well, your platform choice mainly depends on the application you are going to host. Windows platform supports any application, but on Linux you will be able to host only appropriate applications. As for suggestion, have a look at serverpoint.com because it offers affordable windows and Linux web hosting and provides unmatched speed and good server and network uptime.

•••
Well, I suppose webhostgiant.com could suit you well. Whatever platform you choose, webhostgiant.com is able to provide you cheaply with a quality hosting. You can run your site fearlessly to extend reasouces of your account, as they are really huge.

•••
If you are still in search of reliable company, I suggest you to check dayanahost.com. There is no denying the fact that it offers good shared hosting plans which will definitely meet all your requirements for small business. Most of the web masters appreciate it.

•••
Well, I suppose redspotdesign.com. They are dedicated to providing fast, affordable and reliable web hosting solutions of the highest quality.

•••
Hostgator (good, still with this) and dreamhost is top option

•••
I believe that here can be long list. If I were you I would place that request in the request section and see what people can offer you

•••
I am using downtownhost.com :) Its good :)

•••
If uptime is your priority, then I'd consider going with mediatemple.net
$20 for their grid service, and another $20 for a mysql container ( grid service has mysql included, but adding a mysql container gets you better performance ).

I've been with them for almost a year without any downtime.

•••
Think all depends on the requirements you have and applications to need for your business.
Check out the following companies that are characterized with high quality services - glowhost.com, lunarpages.com and iwhic.com.

•••
I am currently using Knownhost.com VPS package. I am extremely satisfied with its service. Support is really fast. There is no hype in Knownhost.com. No such thing as unlimited bandwidth and CPU. You get what you pay for. Support ticket is often returned with detailed answers within 3 to 5 minutes.

For shared hosting, I like Hostgator and Thinkhost. Support of both hosts is really excellent.

Last edited:
•••
Go for EnigHost. It is quite cheap, fast and ultra reliable!

•••
Check the site in my signature SteadFast.net, they're small and they have a wide range of services from $4.99 a month up to dedicated servers. It really has been good. Good tech support also, they always help me out. I've also heard good things about HostGator.

•••
I suppose that any web host which was mentored here is good by some propose, not just by the one of them. That is very important to understand and better find your own criteria and have your search based on it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back