Dynadot

discuss .XYZ - Worthless extension

NameSilo
Watch
After seeing all the new gTLDs, I feel .xyz is the most meaningless/worthless extension in new gTLD space.

Neither it cant be compared to classic COM, NET, ORG extensions, nor .Club, .Money, .Click etc..

What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was optimistic about .XYZ. Now I am keeping two GREAT names. I have decided to drop the rest and just keep these two. As I no longer feel optimistic about .XYZ being valuable now or any time in the foreseeable future. Amazing how fast the nGTLD market will change.

•••
I think this could be said about more than 1, if not closer to 1000, of the nGTLD's...

•••
Here's a question for you guys..

If you owned your <first name>.xyz would you develop it? That's one of my dilemas because I own my <first name>(very common name).xyz but I'm thinking to let it expire.. because maybe I will be able to get my <first name>.web or my <first name>.blog

But I'm curious to see if there's any advice on this. Because about 6 months ago I decided I want to have my <first name>.whatever in at least some extension.. Right now I only have .xyz.

In other words, WOULD YOU develop your <first name>.xyz?

•••
Not quite what you asked, but... Several years ago I started picking up my grandkids names in whatever dot com was available at the time. I have since let them drop because I couldn't think of ways they would use them. (And with nine the renewals add up :)

I have a few variations of my own name but so far don't see using them. I have recently found a couple of phrases which I feel describe me and niches I would like to be associated with. I will be developing them, not my name.

•••
If you owned your <first name>.xyz would you develop it?
No, because .xyz means strictly nothing :) If you use another extension like .me - or your ccTLD, at least it makes sense. Besides, I own the dotcom but it's another story...

That's one of my dilemas because I own my <first name>(very common name).xyz but I'm thinking to let it expire.. because maybe I will be able to get my <first name>.web or my <first name>.blog
What you said: .xyz is nothing special, there are plenty of alternatives coming up...

•••
Hey guys just my 2 cents worth. I have to agree .xyz is a load of poop, it means anything goes and not to be taken seriously. If you are looking for Chinese market as well English speaking market, then check out .one I have been watching traffic to them and it's over 60 percent Chinese. I feel .club is ok but not going to generate the income for it to be worth investing in imo. On the other hand .insure is marketable and where google makes it's money. Those 2 extensions are the only new ones I feel comfortable investing in right now.

•••
@OP
I don't understand why have you opened this thread for? There are already other threads about pretty much the same.
Yes, xyz does not mean anything. That's the point. They even advertise this.
If you don't like xyz domains than don't register any, simple.
@sdsinc
I was wondering how did you suggested .me ccTLD for its brand. Isn't .me only about montenegro related sites, just like any other ccTLD?

•••
.xyz -6,524 today

namestat.org

they are dropping faster than any other extension

•••
Good names all gone they filled up because of $1 price.

•••
I feel, and this is purely my opinion, that pretty much all the new gTLDs are gimmicky and purchasing any right now is more gambling than investing.

The best thing is stay out and see where the chips drop in the next 2-3 years.

This is just how I feel about them.

•••
Some will fail for sure but .com is not unlimited as we know it is a burst bubble and you are lucky to be sitting on a valuable name that is not in use. Just my opinion.

•••
i think the new gtlds are a bubble that could burst soon.

the average net gain per day last week was just 1,756! (according to namestat.org)

1700 per day is not much and that despite the free domain and the $1 domain promotions that they are running. they are probably adding thousands a day with that strategy, domains which most won't renew. Once they stop they will be hit hard.

without that the gains could well be net negative.

and the majority of domain holders has yet to renew i believe.

Things are not looking so good at the moment.

•••
When I first heard of xyz I thought it was a joke. Who in their right mind would invest 125,000+ into such a crappy extension?

I though it would fail. Then I was surprised. They understood very well that consumers and spammers shy away from spending 20+ on a domain (the general price for new gTLD). So with that strategy they locked millions of customers in and next year they will increase that to 10+ and make millions. If they are smart they will then resell the extension and invest the profit into another. Because after the first 2-3 years this extension will be dead. The pricing advantage will be gone and the marketing budget will have dried up. No business in the world will actually consider buying such a name.

Just my thoughts on this particular extension. New gTLD in general are not gambling if you know what businesses are looking for. Unless you run a business or are heavily connected you will have a hard time understanding why certain extensions will do well. That's why I recommend 1) Start a business 2) Always think about the commercial purpose of a name. 3) Buy for yourself. Research businesses with a high profit-margin and buy names you would like to own if you had a full-fledged online business.

Done. Then make a killing with domains and re-invest profits into your own business.

•••
@sdsinc
I was wondering how did you suggested .me ccTLD for its brand. Isn't .me only about montenegro related sites, just like any other ccTLD?
Yeah, that's the way I see it too :) But .me somehow seems to be an option for personal websites, and
brandnow wants to register his own name. Why not. Not found of it personally, but it's a better option than .xyz IMO. Or use your own ccTLD if you can.

•••
The only value of Dot XYZ, once you set a side xyz coordinate domains like CAD, Is if this extension becomes the de facto non extension. It had a great forced start at that. But will take a long time to see if that sticks.

•••
I think this could be said about more than 1, if not closer to 1000, of the nGTLD's...
I dont agree that all the new gTLDs are worthless..It depends on the combination

Web.Design
Forex.Market
Golf.Club
Transfer.Money

These names make perfect sense. But I feel none of the above names make any sense with .XYZ

•••
I dont agree that all the new gTLDs are worthless..It depends on the combination

Web.Design
Forex.Market
Golf.Club
Transfer.Money

These names make perfect sense. But I feel none of the above names make any sense with .XYZ

True that brother.. I will take any of those domains if you're selling haha :)

•••
•••
Here's a question for you guys..

If you owned your <first name>.xyz would you develop it? That's one of my dilemas because I own my <first name>(very common name).xyz but I'm thinking to let it expire.. because maybe I will be able to get my <first name>.web or my <first name>.blog

But I'm curious to see if there's any advice on this. Because about 6 months ago I decided I want to have my <first name>.whatever in at least some extension.. Right now I only have .xyz.

In other words, WOULD YOU develop your <first name>.xyz?

Only if it were my 2-letter initials.

•••
There will be some great and fairly good keywords that will remain registered simply because the domainers that scooped them up will be hesitant to drop great keywords, it goes against their nature. But over time I would bet this extension loses ground.

I've never liked the idea of this extension. I think the whole point of new gtlds is to try to improve upon the idea of .com, to make the overall domain name more specific or niche in nature.

For example, if you asked 100 different people what type of sites .com is supposed to focus on you will get blank stares; .com is king after all, there is no focus, you can find everything on .com . If you ask 100 different people what type of sites they would expect to find on the .auction extension, most would probably say, "Well, I bet there are a lot of auction related web sites on that extension. Gee I wonder if pallet.auction or [ my hometown ] .auction has a site on it."

I'm willing to bet if you asked 100 people, ten years from now about .xyz their answers would be all over the board.

•••
Agree with you about the price...
I think it was a mistake to have such a low price.
...kind of reminds me of the .tk

•••
Looks like xyz registry is smart. They bought DOT SECURITY. A valid extension. It's a very specific extension but could attract some corporate buyers:

http://onlinedomain.com/2015/06/23/news/xyz-registry-buys-security/

They also own .college and .rent aside from xyz.

They may own a spammer extension but they know how to grow their business. I expect more news from the people behind xyz. They're definitely on my radar now for what it's worth

•••
I am not that keen on .xyz, there are better extensions out there.

•••
Looks like xyz registry is smart. They bought DOT SECURITY. A valid extension. It's a very specific extension but could attract some corporate buyers:

http://onlinedomain.com/2015/06/23/news/xyz-registry-buys-security/

They also own .college and .rent aside from xyz.

They may own a spammer extension but they know how to grow their business. I expect more news from the people behind xyz. They're definitely on my radar now for what it's worth

when the .Web hits though, I think .xyz will just become a thing of the past.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back