Dynadot

discuss .XYZ - Worthless extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
After seeing all the new gTLDs, I feel .xyz is the most meaningless/worthless extension in new gTLD space.

Neither it cant be compared to classic COM, NET, ORG extensions, nor .Club, .Money, .Click etc..

What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Agree with you about the price...
I think it was a mistake to have such a low price.
...kind of reminds me of the .tk

Yes but OTOH would they have had any success without that price?

At least I have heard of them, there's a lot I haven't heard of or seen, that have zero mindshare. But now when I see .xyz I know it is a link and not a joke like .yeah or a marketing thing like .mac

•••
Running a web usage survey on a few new gTLDs at the moment and .XYZ is one of them. The freebies, discounting have impacted the numbers on this gTLD. Some people may be using it but it is very much a non-core TLD for most countries.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Amazing how fast the nGTLD market will change.

I am wondering what makes the nGTLD market change so fast...
Maybe it's partially due to the gtld itself...

Or partially because of our attitude:
The best thing is stay out and see where the chips drop in the next 2-3 years.

nGTLD GAME OVER when we all stay out.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Today's zone file has 803856 domains. I guess this is a 'creative' estimate. Perhaps the difference is 200K domains already in redemption.

•••
Today's zone file has 803856 domains. I guess this is a 'creative' estimate. Perhaps the difference is 200K domains already in redemption.
Well they are quoting the domains under management (DUM) figure rather than the zonefile count. The difference is that the zonefile doesn't include domains that are dark or in the final stages of the deletion process. The three month delay in ICANN data is due to the deletion process and the renewals/deletions typically stablise after this period. So theoretically, .XYZ could have reached the 1M mark.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I like .xyz and would probably jump out of a plane too if I'd get an offer. :xf.grin:

•••
I like .xyz and would probably jump out of a plane too if I'd get an offer. :xf.grin:
With or without the parachute? :)

Regards...jmcc

•••
.XYZ and Daniel Negari are claiming they hit a million regs - http://gen.xyz/blog/million

Brad

"We can’t thank you all enough for your support, and we look forward to hitting the 2 million, 10 million, and 100 million mark with you,"

Oh boy.

Well they are quoting the domains under management (DUM) figure rather than the zonefile count. The difference is that the zonefile doesn't include domains that are dark or in the final stages of the deletion process. The three month delay in ICANN data is due to the deletion process and the renewals/deletions typically stablise after this period. So theoretically, .XYZ could have reached the 1M mark.

Regards...jmcc

Eventually those numbers are going to catch up, it's why I don't understand that marketing so much knowing what's coming.

Registrarstats finally updated - 801,188
http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

Namestat - 801,188
https://namestat.org/xyz

nTLDStats - 998,984 (800,494 in zone file) So I guess they're showing the DUM file and it's going to be another 2 months before the drops start showing up in those numbers or earlier?
https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz

•••
I don't think that dot.XYZ will be wurth nothing in the future.
I don't agree. It's an affordable extention and renewal rate is also affordable. That it doesn't mean anything doens't matter.
It's a Generic (domains) extention and not specific like mentioned above (the referral to Web.Design Forex.Market Golf.Club Transfer.Money )

•••
"We can’t thank you all enough for your support, and we look forward to hitting the 2 million, 10 million, and 100 million mark with you,"

Oh boy.
Well you can't fault them for optimism.

Eventually those numbers are going to catch up, it's why I don't understand that marketing so much knowing what's coming.
It is marketing and it is necessary. All registries do it. What a lot of domainers forget is that there are people with other reasons for registering domain names. That zonestuffing operation did manage to build the momentum in .XYZ and this was marketed as a success. Many of those domain names will not be renewed but a percentage will. The .XYZ registry has to try maintaining a rate of new registrations that is close to the drop rate. This is where marketing comes in but in an unproven TLD, it is also necessary to discount if the renewal rates are poor. The problem with offering a discounted renewal in the first year of operation is that it stores up the drops for the second renewal. What is dangerous about this is that it is a gamble on the TLD gathering momentum and starting to develop in year 2. If the TLD does not gain momentum, the drops could be worse as registrants face the hold'em or fold'em decision. In the registry's favour, the more renewals a domain name goes through, the more likely it is to be renewed.

This is the life cycle of a gTLD domain name:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en

It can vary from registrar to registrar but many of the domain names dropping now are ones that would have been registered in April/May/June 2014.

I've been analysing web usage and development in the TLD and it is not a dead zone. There is development there but there's also a lot of clone sites (sites which are really in another TLD (not 301/302 redirected)). It is actually doing better (in terms of development but it is over a year old) than some of the other top 10 new gTLDs even with the drops taken into consideration.

Regards...jmcc

•••

wow

•••
We told you Negari can't be taken seriously.

•••
•••
7 Day Avg -3,002

I think they meant we look forward hitting the 500k mark, 100k and 50k with you soon :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back