Domain Empire

.WS - Website or country?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to .ws means WEBSITE or is a COUNTRY.

Cheers,

-Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The latter it means Western Samoa

•••
•••
According to GoDaddy, it is WebSite.

•••
They have it wrong, it is Western Samoa ;)

•••
It's registered to Western Samoa, but they scored big with it also having the double meaning of WebSite, its got to be bringing them a lot more money than other country codes.

•••
yep but more then avrage people consider it as a WebSite and it fits better

•••
Funny thing is the country is no longer called "Western Samoa". The country dropped the "Western" from its name in 1997.

Last edited:
•••
Country but marketed as website

•••
It's the same as .tv domains
.tv is the ccTLD for Tuvalu.. :)

•••
to me its a country, and does not stand for website,

isnt there a .web extension ?

•••
I have always been told that it means website :D

•••
I believe it means western Samoa as well, however I think of it as WebSite.

•••
j0e said:

isnt there a .web extension ?
Not an Official TLD , just a New.Net

And I am starting to hear an Echo here , either that or there is a flock of parrots nearby.
.WS has been marketed by several companies as .WebSite ,but has always been the ccTLD for Samoa. Note not "Western Samoa"

There is actually very few TLDS that are NOT ccTLD's even the ones that are usually taken to mean other things like
.CC , .US , .TV, . AM , .FM, .BZ
and so the endless repetitive and often pointless postings on the some/similiar debates will continue.

Last edited:
•••
•••
.ws is a TLD assigned to Western Samoa. Instead of using it, they have basically "leased" it out to an independent company to market as whatever they want and get a portion of the fees. They have marketed it as WebSite and WorldSite in the past. The same has been done with .cc, .la, .tv, .tm, etc...

In effect, yet it means Western Samoa according to the UN and ICANN. Western Samoa also allows it to be used in the marketplace differently. Those who know all two letter domains are ccTLD's will always think of it as a ccTLD. Those who don't, may not know any difference than any other TLD, except it's not a .com.

•••
Wait wait wait... AM domain is the extention for Armenia.
and it costs alot if you're not Armenian Resident.

•••
Barefoottech said:
There is actually very few TLDS that are NOT ccTLD's even the ones that are usually taken to mean other things like
.CC , .US , .TV, . AM , .FM, .BZ
and so the endless repetitive and often pointless postings on the some/similiar debates will continue.

Since when is .US not a ccTLd? It even requires US nexus to register. It's as much a ccTLD as .ca, .co.uk, or .de. Actually, even .bz is a ccTLD. They reserve .com.bz, .org.bz, .net.bz and .gov.bz for Belizian citizens, but just opened up second levels to anyone. that doesn't remove it from being a legitimate ccTLD.

Last edited:
•••
Did I say .US was not a ccTLD ,no ,Reread my post
.US is often taken to mean "US" as in "You and me"

•••
Barefoottech said:
Did I say .US was not a ccTLD ,no ,Reread my post
.US is often taken to mean "US" as in "You and me"

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your wording. In that case I agree. ALL current two letter TLD's ARE ccTLD's technically, and are still owned by the UN recognized government they were assigned to, even though they have in effect sub leased them out in part or in full.

•••
Generally, I consider it as "Wasted Space", IMHO ... but it's truly Samoa (and greedily and improperly (in my view) marketed as "WebSite, as well)! :gl:

Caveat Emptor™.
-Jeff B-)

•••
So can we sue companies for selling it as website?

•••
monRa said:
So can we sue companies for selling it as website?

You can sue anyone for anything. Some attorneys will appreciate you putting their kids though college. As for winning, that's a whole different thing.

They can market it as anything they want if Samoa has leased it to them under such terms.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back