NameSilo

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Based on the .ws site only 10,457 4L.ws have been registered. I'm curious how you are defining "premium" here such that there aren't any good ones left.
haha to define premium would take a lot of explaining!
ABAB for example, with 'a' + 'b' being most commonly used 1st letters of pinyin words.

The top 100 characters account for 40% usage in language. If you looked a list you would get an idea of words that don't often start with certain 'CHIP' letters, like c f h k n r t v w. I consider letters like that not premium because there's less chance for it to be used for pinyin acronym. Of course cfhk might be just perfect to the right person, odds are most will need / want something like zbzb.

If you are just going to buy a few it doesn't really matter, but if you want to speculate on something like 100+ 4L chips, that little extra implied value adds up. Obviously you'd want the very best as long as you're paying reg fee for any and all of them.

Most Chinese domainers understand this. If one with deep pockets wanted to speculate on 4L .WS, they would actively seek a profile of some of the best names. The best names tend to advance the most %. having a large profile of the best selection would be a no-brainer to them, your profile would be much more attractive than anyone else. There is a lot to say about having a large position of something. You've heard of "cornering the market?" It is a very real phenomenon, being able to control the price somewhat, with just having all the best items.

Of course there are all kinds of variables, like C or CH standing for china (good in 1st letter), W for website (good in last letter). Sometimes things just have such a small meaning but if you understand it you can pick up on value where most just don't know.

Last edited:
•••
I am seeing a lot of money going down the drain!
I am happy I "flushed my money down the drain" by buying CHIPs in crappy extensions like .biz or .info, even idiotic junk like 8N.com.

The whole "Chinese fever" is just a temporary fad in my opinion, and it will not hold forever but at the same time - I don't think I've ever earned such an easy money.

Overall the average ROI for me was probably at around 4x.

Could I get more by buying good keyword .coms, scanning drop lists, finding gems everyone else overlooked and then contacting end users? - sure.
But that would be work and I'm too lazy for that - I prefer fast and easy flips :)

•••
From Kassey Lee Post:

04:零食>Snacks
  • 23.cn
    • Chinese name: 爱商 which means "love business"
    • marketplace for buying and selling businesses
  • 43.cn
    • Chinese name: 时尚 which means "fashion"
    • 43.cn provides celebrity gossip and entertainment news
  • 55.cn
    • Chinese name: 窝窝 which means "group"
    • 55.cn is a Nasdaq-listed group buying service
  • 91.cn
    • Chinese name: 就医 which means "seek medical advice"
    • 91.cn offers medical advice on a variety of health problems
    • Their website is located at www.91.cn
  1. 20: 爱你 (Love you) → Aiaini.com.cn (health)
  2. 20: 爱赢 (Love to win) → www.Aiwin666.com (betting)
  3. 20: 爱宁 (Love tranquility) → Njankj.cn (electrical equipment)
  4. 768248 which means "Fortune all the way, wealthy for two lifetimes" and 248768, which means "Wealthy for two lifetimes, fortune all the way."
    • The verb sound-alikes for the number four is: to think, to exhaust, to feed, to offer sacrifice, to appear, to watch, to wash (Cantonese)
    • The noun sound-alikes for the number four is: silk, company, death
    • The adjective sound-alikes for the number four is: personal, private
    • The adverb sound-alikes for the number four is: yes, is
Hi thanks for this post-a question - is an adjective in pinyin a name people will know re: we own Baoxiande.com ( to insure etc) Thank you!

•••
ABAB for example, with 'a' + 'b' being most commonly used 1st letters of pinyin words.

The top 100 characters account for 40% usage in language. If you looked a list you would get an idea of words that don't often start with certain 'CHIP' letters, like c f h k n r t v w. I consider letters like that not premium because there's less chance for it to be used for pinyin acronym. Of course cfhk might be just perfect to the right person, odds are most will need / want something like zbzb.

If you are just going to buy a few it doesn't really matter, but if you want to speculate on something like 100+ 4L chips, that little extra implied value adds up. Obviously you'd want the very best as long as you're paying reg fee for any and all of them.

Most Chinese domainers understand this. If one with deep pockets wanted to speculate on 4L .WS, they would actively seek a profile of some of the best names. The best names tend to advance the most %. having a large profile of the best selection would be a no-brainer to them, your profile would be much more attractive than anyone else. There is a lot to say about having a large position of something. You've heard of "cornering the market?" It is a very real phenomenon, being able to control the price somewhat, with just having all the best items.

Of course there are all kinds of variables, like C or CH standing for china (good in 1st letter), W for website (good in last letter). Sometimes things just have such a small meaning but if you understand it you can pick up on value where most just don't know.
Jay i asked someone else this also-what about pinyin names that are adjectives? re we own Baoxiande.com ( to insure etc) Baoxian.com is owned by AIG and it's a major site-thank you!

•••

Thanks I know what a premium letter is. There are a lot more than 10k 4L combinations of them. The standard view is 160,000 chips, without aeiouv, in any 4L tld. You seem to think there are only 10,000, which is why I asked how you are defining premium since it is much narrower than anyone else.

Last edited:
•••
Hi thanks for this post-a question - is an adjective in pinyin a name people will know re: we own Baoxiande.com ( to insure etc) Thank you!

This is a name I wouldn't own TM issues. adjective in a pinyin name that people will know. each pinyin has several uses similar and very different. depends on what part of China it is used and how it is used. Look up all possible definitions and choose one or two that doesn't mirror AIG use to market domain , otherwise it's a UDRP.
Your post has already proved their case. You know AIG, You know they own BAOXIAN.COM, and you know it is associated with insurance. having de at the end doesn't change what you have admitted to knowing.
cheers

•••
Well, I'm selling some super premium generic .ws domains on NP, let's see how they do.

You wouldn't get one of these domains in .com for less than a million dollars.

And even in ntlds they'd be premium pricing if they match the extension.

•••
This is a name I wouldn't own TM issues. adjective in a pinyin name that people will know. each pinyin has several uses similar and very different. depends on what part of China it is used and how it is used. Look up all possible definitions and choose one or two that doesn't mirror AIG use to market domain , otherwise it's a UDRP.
Your post has already proved their case. You know AIG, You know they own BAOXIAN.COM, and you know it is associated with insurance. having de at the end doesn't change what you have admitted to knowing.
cheers
TM issues? What are you talking about-since when does anyone have the exceptionally generic term "insurance" trademarked? The "de" at the end simply adds "to obtain" to the VERY generic word "insurance". There are multiple names out there with "Baoxian" in the name for "Insurance" We also own Seguros.cc ( Insurance in Spanish) does AIG have a right to that also because they might market under "Seguro". xyz? Or perhaps Tiyude.com - maybe all sporting companies will come and take our name? Or perhaps our eGeGU.com will be taken by Charles Schwab or any other financial institution? As to "you know it is associated with insurance " it's not associated ,IT SPELLS insurance. Do you even speak Chinese? I'd welcome a UDRP on this name. Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
Almost 700 NNNNN.ws taken in last five days, most of them in last day or two. Maybe it's starting..

•••
Well, I'm selling some super premium generic .ws domains on NP, let's see how they do.

You wouldn't get one of these domains in .com for less than a million dollars.

And even in ntlds they'd be premium pricing if they match the extension.
You are a friend but please tell which of those that would be a million dollars in dot com? Either you or I need a valuation lesson :)

•••
@ikehook you might have the biggest portfolio of .ws domains out there.
We registered 1400 5N.ws on opening day. We have quite a few nice names as well :) But Josh did everything he could to get them before us :) The DSAD.com gang are heavy hitters aka addicted domainers

•••
Shane, imo any of them. Did you even see the keywords?

assetprotectionsystem,com sold for $25k in 2012, asset,com wouldn't be worth 7 figures in 2016?

I'm up for a valuation lesson bud, always willing to learn, please do elaborate.

•••
Shane, imo any of them. Did you even see the keywords?

assetprotectionsystem,com sold for $25k in 2012, asset,com wouldn't be worth 7 figures in .com in 2016?

I'm up for a valuation lesson bud, always willing to learn, please do elaborate.

Lets take a look at those names. I ask the question for everyone that reads this to answer as well (sorry its a little off topic though) Here are my thoughts on whether the dot com would sell for a million

artgallery.ws Not even close

asset.ws Not even the plural

contest.ws Nope

exhibitions.ws Not even $50K

hospitality.ws Nope

joker.ws Nope

loseweight.ws Nope

prices.ws nope

public.ws Nope

scooter.ws Nope

I think only a few would sell for $250K and that would be stretching it.

Again, I don't mean to criticize you, just trying to show that these just aren't million dollar keywords

•••
I could try and justify my estimate of the .com prices with numbers, but if a random ll,com or nn,com is worth a few million dollars today, a killer keyword should be worth at least a million, though probably to an end user, not a reseller.

For anyone looking to lead the market and starting afresh, a million is a but a drop in the bucket considering the markets these address.

I'll do only the 2 words, to keep it short:.

ArtGallery,com - the market size is close to a billion annually, each painting sells for multi-million dollars.
The numbers: 2 million monthly searches, average cpc of $1.
Value::$2.4 million

LoseWeight,com - About 20% of the world's population is overweight and trying to lose the excess, I don't even want to guess the market size.
The numbers: 375k monthly searches, avg cpc $2.23.
Value: $1 million

Value is derived assuming #3 position on google, 12 month payback & using Drew's equation.

•••
I could try and justify my estimate of the .com prices with numbers, but if a random ll,com or nn,com is worth a few million dollars today, a killer keyword should be worth at least a million, though probably to an end user, not a reseller.

For anyone looking to lead the market and starting afresh, a million is a but a drop in the bucket considering the markets these address.

I'll do only the 2 words, to keep it short:.

ArtGallery,com - the market size is close to a billion annually, each painting sells for multi-million dollars.
The numbers: 2 million monthly searches, average cpc of $1.
Value::$2.4 million

LoseWeight,com - About 20% of the world's population is overweight and trying to lose the excess, I don't even want to guess the market size.
The numbers: 375k monthly searches, avg cpc $2.23.
Value: $1 million

Value is derived assuming #3 position on google, 12 month payback & using Drew's equation.

I'll leave it alone as well. I'll just leave this. No sense in arguing any further. I want you to do well with it and have enjoyed the discussion

I realize Estibot is not accurate BUT

LoseWeight.com 239,000 USD

ArtGallery.com 66,000 USD

•••
Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a million dollars, not even close. :xf.grin:

I'd be happy with reseller prices or 20% of current end user price of the .ws ;)

I always enjoy chatting with you bud, hope you do well with your nnnnn.ws too!

•••
Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a million dollars, not even close. :xf.grin:

I'd be happy with reseller prices or 20% of current end user price of the .ws ;)

I always enjoy chatting with you bud, hope you do well with your nnnnn.ws too!

Thank you . I have a few other .ws like 83.ws, 85.ws, and 95.ws. so I am certainly on team .ws :)

•••
You are a friend but please tell which of those that would be a million dollars in dot com? Either you or I need a valuation lesson :)
Not sure why you quoted my question in this reply Shane?

•••
•••
I got one, its in my signature.

B-)

•••
.ws appears to have some solid interest and on a possible uptrend. Picked up a few chips and such:

txxt.ws
tttx.ws
tttr.ws
trry.ws
lyyk.ws
ttty.ws
0289.ws
moves.ws

•••
Just reg'ed about 160 names one word english and pinyin word.

•••
Almost 700 NNNNN.ws taken in last five days, most of them in last day or two. Maybe it's starting..

5N pick-ups. 6 most expensive zip codes in the U.S.
Hopefully, the first sell should easily be 100% ROI of the entire bunch. B-)

94027.ws (atherton, CA)
98122.ws (new york, NY)
33109.ws (miami beach, FL)
10013.ws (new york, NY)
11962.ws (sagaponack,NY)
81611.ws (aspen, CO)

•••
I acquired Arrow.ws few days ago. What you guys think it's worth?
P.S: Arrow has a very high volume search in Google

•••
I saw that on Godaddy auctions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back