Dynadot

discuss Would you sell your entire portfolio? How much?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
let’s say your portfolio size was 1000 domain names.

Would you sell for regfee$10 each? $10,000

Would you sell for $25 each? $25,000

Would you sell for $100 each? $100,000

Would you sell for $250 each? $250,000

Would you sell for $500 each? $500,000

Whats the least you’d sell your entire portfolio for?

This is a tough decision to make. Obviously everyone’s portfolios are valued differently and everyone has certain domains in their portfolio they wouldn’t want to include.

Would you turn down $100,000 offer?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I might sell for what the portfolio is practically guaranteed to make in 3 years time.

So after this time the buyer will have recouped his money and be left with 85-90% of the portfolio.

While I could use the instant liquidity.

Still I'm not sure this would be a good deal for me.

•••
•••
•••
•••
I will consider $250000. Not anything below $200000. My portfolio included domain name which i purchased for $10k and several other names i purchased for around $3k each.

•••
i would use x's rather than o's

whenever a buyer really wants your domain i am left wondering sometimes if person would have added an extra digit heh

so i be like now "$xx,xxx-$xxx,xxx"

-have a special day

•••
I have no such big portofio, I just checked, I totally have 65 names so far, it quite small number if compare with most member here...but I already feel very headache with them, previously, I only maitain a 8~10 names in total and only have 1 register neeed maintain,life is much easy and all name been welll maintained , but now I have 7 account to maittain....I really don't have engegy to take care of them at all, they just sit in the account...most even not setup a for sale landing page.

I feel already too many names ....I plan write a clear document to ensure I have a plan to each names, keep, drop/sell, develop......I hope I only have 10 names but all of them are cvcv.com....then I will keep them for another 10 years.

•••
With my current domain quality and size, I would accept $250 each as I have about 74 domains currently.

•••
But...why would I want to sell my portfolio in first place ? :)

In general, you are trying to sell your portfolio to someone else only if it does not generate enough revenue for yourself. You know that, and you want to pass this burden to someone else.

If it is well built and it generates nice revenue for you each year, plus there is no future event in sight which would make the portfolio irrelevant (like domain names not in use anymore), no one would sell such portfolio to someone else.

You are buying assets with money, so no need tu turn your assets to money...unless you know that what you have is not an assets in reality, but burden. If your portfolio is well built, you sell mostly to end users names one by one, not trying to get rid of it quickly.

Definition of asset: something which brings money into your pocket every month.

•••
But...why would I want to sell my portfolio in first place ? :)

Definition of asset: something which brings money into your pocket every month.

Actually that's not the definition of asset, Asset a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality.

Someone who owns 20 bars of Gold, owns an asset, those 20 bars sit in a safe and do not bring in money every month.

People sell for a lot of reasons.

They found something better to do with the money tied up in domaining. They don't want the future burden of renewals, they just want out because they are tired of the business. They want out all at once, because most people 99.999999% of those owning a 1000 plus domains, are not going to make 1,000 end user sales in their lifetime.

•••
Would not sell all for 100K.

•••
If it is well built and it generates nice revenue for you each year, plus there is no future event in sight which would make the portfolio irrelevant (like domain names not in use anymore), no one would sell such portfolio to someone else.

https://www.thedomains.com/2015/12/07/my-sale-to-godaddy/

I think factors, such as age, personal issues/priorities, and nice opportunities, can also play a role.

Although I am oversimplifying it but if I had a 1000 domain avg quality portfolio built over 10 years with avg renewal cost of $100 per domain ($10 per year) and a sell through rate of 1% generating an avg sale price of $2000 per domain, I would have $200000 in profits and $100000 in costs or a net profit of $100000 provided there are no other associated costs and everything :xf.smile: So, I have $100000 for the past ten years and a choice between $100000 now or $????? after ten years. Given my risk appetite and situation, I will take $100000 now. Now if you change the number of years from 10 to 1, or the number of domains from 1000 to 10000, or the value of net profit etc., my decision may change. IMO.

•••
I never want to sell my entire portfolio at once but even if I assume of selling my 2,500 domains, it would be at least in 8 figures (USD) to be realistic.

•••
I would sell out for sure at $500 each.
I would consider $350+ each

As always most of you live on another planet - called Dreamland.

•••
It depends on the names if someone handed me 400k I'd sell mine.

•••
Like $50k, it's mainly the 4L dictionary word .org that would be the one providing the value.

•••
I would sell half for 100k, the other half is my fat. lol.

•••
Actually that's not the definition of asset, Asset a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality.

Someone who owns 20 bars of Gold, owns an asset, those 20 bars sit in a safe and do not bring in money every month.

People sell for a lot of reasons.

They found something better to do with the money tied up in domaining. They don't want the future burden of renewals, they just want out because they are tired of the business. They want out all at once, because most people 99.999999% of those owning a 1000 plus domains, are not going to make 1,000 end user sales in their lifetime.
So basically you are saying what I am saying, but in another words :)

Asset vs burden...

if you have asset no need to sell it

if you have burden you try to sel it...

Many people do not understand what asset (as financial term) really is...gold, which is sitting in the bank and do not bring you any money, is not an asset...actually, you probably pay some small fee to bank for security box each month...so money are flowing from you wallet, not to your wallet in case of gold ...

If you own apartment, and you do not rent it, you only pay monthly fees...it is an burden
If you own apartment, and you do rent it, and rent is more then monthly fees you pay...it is an asset

•••

Asset vs burden...

Many people do not understand what asset (as financial term) really is...gold, which is sitting in the bank and do not bring you any money, is not an asset...actually, you probably pay some small fee to bank for security box each month...so money are flowing from you wallet, not to your wallet in case of gold ...

If you own apartment, and you do not rent it, you only pay monthly fees...it is an burden
If you own apartment, and you do rent it, and rent is more then monthly fees you pay...it is an asset

Well look Michael Berkens covered his nut every year of about $700,000 in renewals but he was happy to take the $35 million from GoDaddy because he was never selling every name on his own.

My point being I don't think everyone is like, "My portfolio sucks let me stick someone else with it" Also not everyone is as enamored with the domain industry as those who seem to love it. And they just want to move on.

•••

Asset vs burden...

If that is the case I would be more than happy to take the burden of owning the gold of someone's hands, so they can avoid the small bank fee.

Some assets have an associated cost of maintenance with them. Keeping gold at a bank is for security reasons. You could just as easily keep it at home without the bank fee, but it is a risk/reward determination.

All your are talking about here is an unrealized vs realized income. Gold is highly liquid and easy to sell.
It can be liquidated at any time. It is clearly an asset.

Brad

•••

This is also not necessarily the case either. You can be in a position where you own an apartment and are just breaking even, or even losing a small amount of money per month, but it can be an asset because the renter is essentially building equity for you. It is just an asset with a longer maturity date.

Brad

•••
If that is the case I would be more than happy to take the burden of owning the gold of someone's hands, so they can avoid the small bank fee.

Some assets have an associated cost of maintenance with them. Keeping gold at a bank is for security reasons. You could just as easily keep it at home without the bank fee, but it is a risk/reward determination.

All your are talking about here is an unrealized vs realized income. Gold is highly liquid and easy to sell.
It can be liquidated at any time. It is clearly an asset.

Brad
Lol, I would also like to take burden of owning gold of someone's hands, no doubt about it :)

To be very clear: for me, assets is a anything, which (without selling/liquidating this asset) brings me some income every month. It means, money are flowing to my wallet/bank account, not from my wallet/bank account.

If we stick to above definition, gold is not an asset, as gold is not bringing you some income every month, without beying sold/liquidated. It is a neutral thing, or it can be small burden, in case you need to pay montly fees to the bank in order to store it there.

One should really understand what asset is, it makes one's life much easier.

•••
I am willing to sell mine for $100,000

955 domains ---- 1800web.com

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your feedback.

•••
Lol, I would also like to take burden of owning gold of someone's hands, no doubt about it :)

To be very clear: for me, assets is a anything, which (without selling/liquidating this asset) brings me some income every month. It means, money are flowing to my wallet/bank account, not from my wallet/bank account.

If we stick to above definition, gold is not an asset, as gold is not bringing you some income every month, without beying sold/liquidated. It is a neutral thing, or it can be small burden, in case you need to pay montly fees to the bank in order to store it there.

One should really understand what asset is, it makes one's life much easier.

Right, but that is not the definition of an asset. It might be your personal definition, but there is no requirement that an asset provides a monthly income. An asset is just something which has value.

If I buy something for $10K and the value goes up to $50K. That is an unrealized gain.
If I buy something for $50K and it goes down in value to $30K. That is an unrealized loss.

Either way, in both situations the underlying something is an asset, as it is something which has value.

Brad

•••
Back