IT.COM

Would this work?

NameSilo
Watch

Tech2

Account Closed
Impact
I am interested in a domain name, the owner isn't willing to sell it-so I was thinking of some way to come close to the name-as much as possible.

So-I was thinking about DomainName2.com -instead of DomainName.com

What are your opinions on this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
could cause copyright issues......

•••
Might want to post this in the legal forum and if there are no trademarks on the name then I don't think he could come after you although if your site has bad intentions it might become an issue then.

•••
What about DomainNames.com?

•••
•••
domainname.com is not to be taken literally-it is a guide to work with.

•••
If your sole intent is to "trick" people into thinking its the real domain, then you will run into copyright laws. However, if its a different subject or product there shouldn't be an issue.

•••
abs636 said:
If your sole intent is to "trick" people into thinking its the real domain, then you will run into copyright laws. However, if its a different subject or product there shouldn't be an issue.

If it was a company-Yes, then I would agree.
But-and I stress But- if it is a website, and others have .net,.org and so far, then it should be feasible for someone to have domainname2.com or domain2.com; even if they have the same concept of what their website is about... am I wrong-if so where am I wrong?

It wouldn't be to trick anyone-but to have a domain a person would want-that normall would have been taken long ago.

Rough EXample- if someone wanted NamePros.com but it was taken-they could easily and legally take NamePro2.com (it's available for anyone who wants it)-would this be illegal and if so how would it step into an illegal boundery?

Last edited:
•••
I would ensure that no trademarks are on it, then you should be clear :)

•••
John Malinowski said:
I would ensure that no trademarks are on it, then you should be clear :)
Exactly what I'd do ;)

•••
if anyone recalls a smart cookie made the website mikerowsoft.com and microsoft had to pay him off to get him to get rid of it....I think this is not to dissimilar.

•••
Assuming there are no potential trademark issues, how about domain-name?

•••
I just Purchased Gamers2.com which I will name Gamers 2.0; how does that sound? Would anyone here consider that a good domain name?

Also-why is this in domain newbies? I've been buying domains since 97-I am far from a Newbie. I was asking a question that suited best, where it was.

•••
Yeah, I agree it could cause copyright issues.

•••
Cart before the horse.....

I think you may be missing the point slightly here everyone

If this is simply a 'domain name' as stated in the original post and not a 'developed site' then there would be no issues at all with registering any names almost identical to the original. ( unless of course in the unlikely event it is trademarked and underdevelopment...then perhaps , maybe :? )

can you confirm if its simply a name he will not sell or is it a developed site you are attempting to acquire from him.....

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
It can't cause copyright issues- Gamers is a generic term, if it was a copyright term then .net,.org and others -not to mention gaming magazines would never be able to use that term.

•••
They would never be able to use it on its own but they would be able to use it in combinations if it had been trademarked because it is a generic term.

Also,look at some of the generic nouns that have been trademarked ,'Apple' & ' Orange' to name but a few , sorry they are all fruit examples.

Showing it can be done....

Last edited:
•••
Systmz said:
It can't cause copyright issues- Gamers is a generic term, if it was a copyright term then .net,.org and others -not to mention gaming magazines would never be able to use that term.

What I was thinking.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back