NameSilo

strategy Would successful .IO startups have to eventually upgrade to .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainerfella

DN.DOMAINSTop Member
Impact
James Illes blogged on Rick Schwartz’s sale of Teem.com to cloud-based software and analytics platform Eventboard.IO in a cash + equity deal. Eventboard.IO is now redirecting to TEEM.com

Do you think highly successful .IO startups have to eventually rebrand to COM?
More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Twitch still uses Twitch.tv as its main site. Although it bought the dotcom after it was acquired by Amazon.
So I don't think they have to necessarily rebrand, but that doesn't mean they won't try to get the .com when they can afford it.

•••
I think Eventboard.io made a good decision to rebrand because at this point in time, Eventboard.io is a very weak (crappy in my opinion) .io domain name. If they would have had Meeting.io or Event.io or something of that nature, they may not have had to rebrand. I own several .io's. If I saw eventboard.io in a drop, I wouldn't pay reg fee for it. It is a horrible .io name. Think of eventboard.com... much better... but still not the strongest .com name.

Look at Customer.io or Park.io... now those are great .io domain names. 2 word .io's are not the way to go... at least not yet. I have seen .me .co .xyz....etc... but so far, .io has alot of great websites... that in my opinion will determine if .io succeeds or burns in flames like .me .co etc.

Of course... Teem.com is a great brand..... but they had to pay for it.

Last edited:
•••
not necessarily rebrand, but they will have to get the dot com.

•••
not necessarily rebrand, but they will have to get the dot com.

Yes they need to own the dot com.Rebrand or not is their choice..
I think if they dont own the com,they will leak traffic...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.. :)

•••
Yes because that's a sign of successful startup.

•••
if they have the money why not; their model obviously seems to be working. 100k is nothing for a great brand especially like this.

•••
their model obviously seems to be working. 100k is nothing for a great brand especially like this.

Keep in mind that EventBoard is funded by venture capitalists... over +$21MM in multiple rounds. This rebrand says nothing whatsoever about EventBoard's business model. For all we know this company is way in the red like many other US startups. The goal of most US startups nowadays is simply to go public or get acquired. Often, these companies never reach profitability.

The switch to Teem.com strikes me as a smart move. EventBoard.io is trash. EventBoard.com is not much better.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back