IT.COM

news WordPress Foundation sues owner of WordPress domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DANEYAL

Top Member
Impact
This is a news for anyone and everyone procuring domain names with wordpress as the starting word. A lawsuite has been filed by Wordpress Foundation against the owner of multiple domain names carrying Wordpress Trademark name in their domains.

WordPress Foundation, the charitable organization founded by Matt Mullenweg for the WordPress open source project, has sued the owner of TheWordPressHelpers.com and other domains. The lawsuit alleges that Edward Jeffrey Yablon and PC-VIP, Inc. are infringing WordPress’ trademarks and that the use of the domain names constitutes cybersquatting.

The domain names in question were used as platforms for providing wordpress info, assistance & training.
The defendants own a number of WordPress related domain names including TheWordPressHelpDesk.com, TheWordPressTrainers.com, TheWordPressTeachers.com, TheWordPressDoctors.com, WordPressTraffic.com and TheWordPressTutors.com. These domain names forward to TheWordPressHelpers.com.

Wordpress suggests a non-usage of "Wordpress" in Domain Names.
WordPress Foundation has guidelines for how third parties can use the WordPress trademarks. One of the guidelines is that they must not be used in domain names.

The lawsuit (pdf) is seeking the defendants to stop using the trademarks, dismiss the opposition proceeding, hand over any profits related to use of the WordPress marks, pay up to $100,000 per infringing domain name, transfer the domain names and pay other fees and damages.

Source: DomainNameWire

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
WordPress is very clear on where they stand with their Trademark. I have told people for a couple of years NOT to buy or register domains with WordPress in it. Some listen, some don't.

I have WordPress related sites but use the letters "WP" in the domain name. They are fine with that.

I also disclose that the sites are not associated with WordPress.

Learn the easy way, or the hard way!

•••
Unfortunately I fell for it.

I bought my first wordpress templates domains a couple of weeks ago thinking that -seeing so many wordpress sites around- there would be no problem with their TM .. what an idiot.

I'm very serious with the TM thing and that has pissed me off now since I can't delete the domains before the 27th (namebright rules)

•••
I am not surprised; there are way too many domains around that include the TM and the owners of the organization must have decided that enough is enough.

Especially if they noticed that people also list the domains and websites on marketplaces like Flippa; I think that not long ago I reported 3 names/site in just one week. Not only the owners make a profit by using a TM on their sites : they also want to double-profit by selling them!

Wordpress guidelines are extremely clear without room for any possible misunderstanding.

•••
Sorry to hear you picked up some names like this @Hypersot.. That really blows, but it's what will happen when people infringe on TM's. I think some people may have thought since Wordpress is an organization it would be okay. However, that organization will likely get a nice chunk of change if Manta is anywhere close in the revenues they claim this company makes Here. In fact, it'll pretty much make the company bankrupt, lol.. But honestly, I don't see WP getting all of that from it. They've got enough money to fight it in court. After lawyer fees..etc.. the company will probably file for bankruptcy and WP will get a small fraction of what they really want. (money)

•••
•••
One should stay away from obvious TM infringement

•••
A simple "WP" instead of "WordPress" wouldn't have caused this lawsuit...No sympathy when you know they are clear trademarks and the WordPress Foundation had clearly stated on their site...

•••
Thank God, I didnt Register any Wordpress Domain Lol :). It seems obvious from above posts that WP goes fine with Wordpress Foundation.

•••
Thank God, I didnt Register any Wordpress Domain Lol :). It seems obvious from above posts that WP goes fine with Wordpress Foundation.
Yes, you saved yourself some possible financial pains in the behind!

I have a few WordPress sites that have "WP" in the name as well as several domains with it. I did a lot of scouting around and looked into the TM issue before I bought the domains and started the sites.

I did it mainly because with my luck, I would get a site going real well and then get in trouble and lose it. ;)

•••
They have a pretty prominent domain policy on their site: https://wordpress.org/about/domains/

Using 'WP' is permissible in their statement. That said, in my non-legally trained opinion using 'WP' would be pushing it if they didn't grant you license in their policy.

As it stands though, 'WP' prefix domains are perfectly legal and actually pretty valuable. Dozens of $XXXX sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back