Dynadot

Wordpress Devlopment Themes and ideas

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I couldn't find a thread on wordpress development, different themes and favorite plugins, so i thought I would

start one and see if there is any interest. If not it will get buried soon enough.

I am currently looking for a theme at themeforest and wanted to now if anyone had any favorites they use?

Or is there a different place I could look for a good theme?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Safeguard theme looks neat.

Check out http://html5up.net

The problem I have with all those theme examples (on any site) is that they never look anything like the examples when you install them on your site. I have a really hard time seeing past their carefully selected, professional images, to what my site could look like.

I find responsive designs to be especially bad because as your image is squeezed down to fit smaller screens it may or may not continue to show what you want it to. There are some subtleties to selecting the example images that are not real obvious.

•••
Iowa, Thats what I have been doing, but adding plugins switching themes editting footers is time consuming.
And mhdoc you are absolutely right, they look to perfect and a person wonders if that can be replicated, or what parts can be edited. I am looking at x2.biz on my iphone, and the can of soup is not entirely in the pic unless I turn my phone sideways.Other than that, their sites are very responsive.

•••
Thrive includes tools to make sure the images are the right size and quality for optimal fit & minimal load times. I have not yet mastered that.

The down side of Thrive is that it opens up so much control of the user experience I am struggling to learn how to use it well. With the basic WP themes there are lots of things you can't do, which is good in many ways. A richer tool has a more demanding learning curve. If you don't need or learn to use the advanced features you would be ahead to keep things simple.

•••
@mhdoc That can definitely be a case. I am currently using Hueman by AlxMedia for one site I'm brewing ideas on . And even if it looks like an easy set up, I think the real problem for me is not having much time to figure it all out. I could try compare learning Wordpress to learning Photoshop interface and mixing and matching everything else with composing a shot/scene. I guess I'd have to find common things to make it easier. At the moment I'm not using the theme to its full design capability based on the advertised.

I'm not sure about the image issue, is it sort of mandatory that images become less of what it is as it responds ? And I guess that's the sacrifice . Maybe there are better systems out there when it comes to that. I'd like to find out and thank anyone in advance.

•••
Thrive includes tools to make sure the images are the right size and quality for optimal fit & minimal load times. I have not yet mastered that.

The down side of Thrive is that it opens up so much control of the user experience I am struggling to learn how to use it well. With the basic WP themes there are lots of things you can't do, which is good in many ways. A richer tool has a more demanding learning curve. If you don't need or learn to use the advanced features you would be ahead to keep things simple.
Guess there's the answer . Super cool !

•••
The Avada theme from themforest is pretty Decent and so is the Zblackbeard theme by themeisle

•••
For free images you can also try freeimages.com (formely hxc.hu) . Saved my day a few times when the budget used to be 0.
However you should not expect professional quality - these are usually leftovers or hobby pics. Still way beter than google images, trough.
Themes... I've recenty bought a full subscription for mythemeshop.com suits for simpe (but modern, functional and responsive) blogs/magazines. I've never found good enough in my oppinion free theme.

•••
You can do a lot of stuff with Avada since it has too many options. But that is also a con because many people don't like to have too many settings...

If you are in affiliate marketing and want to build your email list then go for ThriveThemes... My personal favorite is Sahifa theme because I'm using it for review site...Easy to use...

Regarding free photos, the best option always is to search the public domain where photos are available for free...Here you go... https://search.creativecommons.org/

•••
Thanks again everyone. Zblackbeard is nice, and free. I will check that out in detail.
If i buy just one theme, I will probably use that for the others till I upgrade.
Appreciate all the links to free photo's, this thread will be good reference point for me and others.
Still not sure if photobucket can use for free. I used them with my photo's before.

I really like the Avada theme, $60 for one theme seems extreme on my budget, where as thrive themes you can buy one or unlimited downloads.
Are both the themes in your signature Avada, Messiah? They are both really nice sites, just want i want..

MyThemeShop.com can you pay the full membership monthly or quarterly? I will spend some time looking at them. You happy with them so far tech_noir?

•••
Are both the themes in your signature Avada, Messiah? They are both really nice sites, just want i want..
Thanks....I tried Avada before but that theme is bit heavy and too many options which I didn't like... My site aPlugins.com uses Sidewalk (best suited for design/personal blogs)... The other site AllAdsNetwork.com uses Sahifa theme (Best suited for magazine/review sites)...

Last edited:
•••
I've started using the highend theme from hb-themes for my domain sales. I have a web redirect for each domain that points to my main domain followed by the page.

•••
I've been using CloudPress, which lets you create your own themes using a drag and drop style editor. Works really well and gives you full customisability without needing to know anything about coding or programming etc.

•••
MasterOfMyDomains,
Yes, so far.... Looking for a theme for a non-commercial projet (informational/news blog). I found them while looking for a freebie :-$. They had a free light verson of one of the themes (and have another free right now), s I registered to download it. No support, I had to manually add some additional stuff to get what I wanted, but the theme was OK and is working nicely so far. Well and clean done unlike many other free ones.
Of course I started receiving specal offers and once when I was looking for a theme for video blog, I found that what I wanted was their Video theme (something that would cost me quite a lot of efford to do only by using free coponents). Righ then they had a promotion for a 15$ for a theme... OK, bought it and again good impressions. A few extra free add-ons (mainly backend for the SEO, security, backup) and tunes here and there which were easy to do thanks to the clean and understandable code and I a happy with that too. Recently I recieved an offer for full access for 99$ yearly and got it as I am planning to do several other websites.
So far, so good. And like most other theme shops, you can buy significantly cheaper if yor budget is tight and can afford a little patience to wait for a promotion.

•••
Yoast's SEO plugin is one I put on all my sites. It is free and I find it is helpful in learning how to write better posts. It goes through your text and scores the content on how well it can be understood by the search engines.

In my case, I tend to write narrative posts that tell a story from start to finish. That turns out to be dreadful for SEO. The plugin really points this out and has improved my use of sub heads and "chunking" up my content.

•••
used circle theme by themeforest before ... now im with elegant theme

•••
If anyone has an example of a word press site they built, so we can see themes in action would be awesome.

My blog is a WP site built on Genesis and a responsive child theme shell.
I made lots of tweaks to it, but I know my way around php and css.

DomainVP.com

•••
I use premiumpress theme for my domain portfolio. You can see it live here: domainstant.com

•••
I customize and developed wordpress theme......if someone is interested you can PM me.. You can check my previous and related jobs HERE :)

•••
The problem I have with all those theme examples (on any site) is that they never look anything like the examples when you install them on your site. I have a really hard time seeing past their carefully selected, professional images, to what my site could look like.

That describes a majority of themes on the market.

Thrive looks nice. What type of site are you using it for?

If you are in affiliate marketing and want to build your email list then go for ThriveThemes... My personal favorite is Sahifa theme because I'm using it for review site...Easy to use...

Shouldn't everyone be building an email list? :) Would Thrive be good for a magazine site @Messiah? What sites do you use Thrive on?

•••
Themes... I've recenty bought a full subscription for mythemeshop.com suits for simpe (but modern, functional and responsive) blogs/magazines. I've never found good enough in my oppinion free theme.

I was considering a full subscription to mythemeshop. The themes all see easy to use and work out-of-the-box well. At least for magazine/blog sites. Has that been your experience @tech_noir?

•••
I use premiumpress theme for my domain portfolio. You can see it live here: domainstant.com

Is it the auction theme you're using? Looks nice

I've built my site with the Shopping Theme from PremiumPress

•••
•••
•••
Is it the auction theme you're using? Looks nice

I've built my site with the Shopping Theme from PremiumPress

Exactly. Except I've had to do a lot of customization and even re-code some aspect of the scripts.
Right now I'm figuring out how to integrate Escrow.com into the check-out process.

•••
Exactly. Except I've had to do a lot of customization and even re-code some aspect of the scripts.
Right now I'm figuring out how to integrate Escrow.com into the check-out process.
Nice theme..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back