Dynadot

sales With still a quarter left to go The number of domain names sold in 2019 has already surpassed 2018

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
We have just entered the fourth quarter for 2019 but the total number of reported domains sold have already surpassed the full year numbers of 2017 and 2018. The total sales volume from last year is only $6 million behind. Looking at the last 6 months of domain sales, 2019 should surpass that without a problem. Here is the data from Namebio: I broke it down by number of .com sales and sales … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing. Hope more sales in this last quarter

•••
Great info and thanks for sharing. I look forward to my sales within this last quarter helping to push it further ahead:xf.grin:

•••
•••
Nice info. Thanks for sharing

•••
•••
While the single voice sale is so huge it skews average sales and sales volume figures in .com, it is very encouraging to see, with three months to go, .com numbers are already so strong. Thanks for the update, @equity78 !
Bob

•••
•••
Great post, thank you! I doubt most people realize that the internet is still so young, still "Wild West" in many ways. As millions and millions more people come online, many wanting an identity for themselves as well as for their businesses, charities, etc., it's not just "rising tide lifts all ships."

It's also proving to raise the prices of brandable words we create for .com... and further benefiting the other tld's. -- Thanks for the #'s. Interesting that .com is STILL in the 80% range of all domains sold.

•••
This is because NameBio added more venues in 2019 like SnapNames etc.
That's why more reports... So higher reported sales volume VS 2018 (where lack of those venues).

Actually, Q3 was almost 0 for me.
I don't see any aftermarket growth.

•••
Thanks for sharing,Great post.

•••
That's why more reports... So higher reported sales volume VS 2018 (where lack of those venues).

@Jurgen Wolf
Thanks for sharing info
Two questions please:
  1. When did NameBio add Snapnames?
  2. Where else do you look for Aftermarket stats?
Appreciated!

•••
This year they reenabled SnapNames feed... as I see...
Just open NameBio... select SnapNames in Venue and 2018 year in Data Range - NO data, whole year is absent.
And 2017 stats from SnapNames - they have just partially.

Regarding other venues - you may also recheck...

•••
Where else?
dnpric.es
dnjournal.com

•••
There are a total of 117 snapnames sales for 2019 no material bearing on overall sales this year. @Michael started adding Snapnames sales when Web.com started reporting them with the NameJet monthly sales.

•••
There are a total of 117 snapnames sales for 2019 no material bearing on overall sales this year. @Michael started adding Snapnames sales when Web.com started reporting them with the NameJet monthly sales.

Wow. Doesn't that substantively skew real #'s?

•••
Last edited:
•••
I didn't check other venues...
SnapNames just as example for you.

You should compare only comparable things...
For example, Sedo 2019 vs Sedo 2018...

•••
117 sales No it doesn't. So far Namebio has reported 86,296 sales this year.

Thank you. Forgive me; I meant, ala Bob's comment about the Voice sale being so large, my first thought was, "If only a dozen of those 117 went for big $$, wouldn't that shade the real average... especially if most of total sales were small $$?"

Of course, 86,000's quite a nice number :). Thanks again.

•••
While the single voice sale is so huge it skews average sales and sales volume figures in .com, it is very encouraging to see, with three months to go, .com numbers are already so strong. Thanks for the update, @equity78 !
Bob

It does, more specifically the Voice.com sale pushed the average price up by $348 from $984 to $1332, which is a 35% shift. That's pretty crazy. The median sale price so far in 2019 for sales $100+ is $235 and in 2018 it was $272. The median for dot com so far in 2019 is $229 compared to $264 last year. But that's nothing new, the last time the median price for dot com increased from the year before was 2011. A lot of that is due to us capturing more and more of the wholesale market though.

Even before they started reporting them we were already getting a lot of them by virtue of NameJet and SnapNames joining forces for drop catching, and running simultaneous auctions for the same domain. We were already recording many of them by watching NJ, but they were just reported as NJ instead of Snap. It's only the ones that were exclusive to Snap that we were missing but are now getting, which isn't many.

Despite that addition, and also the addition of Whois.ai, I think it's still fair to compare this year to last year. It wasn't all additions, 4.CN dropped off a cliff and then pretty much just stopped reporting. We have 18 sales for them in 2019 compared to 506 in 2018. Uniregistry has only reported 187 sales so far this year compared to 929 last year. Flippa abandoned the domain market and dropped off a cliff, only 457 sales this year compared to 1638 last year. Anyway things are always shifting so YoY comparison will never be perfect, but I wouldn't say that anything drastically changed in 2019 to make it oranges compared to 2018 apples.

On balance the additions/subtractions of marketplaces and changes in reporting should have 2019 lower at least from the perspective of overall number of sales.

•••
It does, more specifically the Voice.com sale pushed the average price up by $348 from $984 to $1332, which is a 35% shift. That's pretty crazy. The median sale price so far in 2019 for sales $100+ is $235 and in 2018 it was $272. The median for dot com so far in 2019 is $229 compared to $264 last year. But that's nothing new, the last time the median price for dot com increased from the year before was 2011. A lot of that is due to us capturing more and more of the wholesale market though.

Even before they started reporting them we were already getting a lot of them by virtue of NameJet and SnapNames joining forces for drop catching, and running simultaneous auctions for the same domain. We were already recording many of them by watching NJ, but they were just reported as NJ instead of Snap. It's only the ones that were exclusive to Snap that we were missing but are now getting, which isn't many.

Despite that addition, and also the addition of Whois.ai, I think it's still fair to compare this year to last year. It wasn't all additions, 4.CN dropped off a cliff and then pretty much just stopped reporting. We have 18 sales for them in 2019 compared to 506 in 2018. Uniregistry has only reported 187 sales so far this year compared to 929 last year. Flippa abandoned the domain market and dropped off a cliff, only 457 sales this year compared to 1638 last year. Anyway things are always shifting so YoY comparison will never be perfect, but I wouldn't say that anything drastically changed in 2019 to make it oranges compared to 2018 apples.

On balance the additions/subtractions of marketplaces and changes in reporting should have 2019 lower at least from the perspective of overall number of sales.

I think you mean higher for 2019 on overall number of sales.

•••
I think you mean higher for 2019 on overall number of sales.
Nope, I mean lower. He was suggesting that adding venues is why the overall volume is up, but I'm saying that despite adding two venues sales should have actually been lower because of the "losses" in data (4.CN, Uni, and Flippa). Specifically:

Snap + Whois.ai = 1864 sales up

4.CN = 488 sales down
Uni = 929 - (187 + 240*) = 502 sales down
Flippa = 1638 - 587 annualized = 1051 sales down

* 240 being 12 more weeks of reporting the top 20.

So we're up 1864 because of adding venues but down 2041 sales because of losing venues or them changing how they report. Meaning his statement that overall sales are up just because of venue changes is incorrect, it should have actually been slightly down due to venue changes.

There are actually more sales happening this year, it isn't due to changes in tracking.

•••
Nope, I mean lower. He was suggesting that adding venues is why the overall volume is up, but I'm saying that despite adding two venues sales should have actually been lower because of the "losses" in data (4.CN, Uni, and Flippa). Specifically:

Snap + Whois.ai = 1864 sales up

4.CN = 488 sales down
Uni = 929 - (187 + 240*) = 502 sales down
Flippa = 1638 - 587 annualized = 1051 sales down

* 240 being 12 more weeks of reporting the top 20.

So we're up 1864 because of adding venues but down 2041 sales because of losing venues or them changing how they report. Meaning his statement that overall sales are up just because of venue changes is incorrect, it should have actually been slightly down due to venue changes.

There are actually more sales happening this year, it isn't due to changes in tracking.

Oh I read wrong what you said, the additions/subtractions right. I thought you were disputing the overall central theme of the post which that overall number of sales are up in 2019 in just 9 months vs 2018 full year. Thanks for the clarification that makes 2019 even stronger than what the initial numbers show.

•••
Oh I read wrong what you said, the additions/subtractions right. I thought you were disputing the overall central theme of the post which that overall number of sales are up in 2019 in just 9 months vs 2018 full year. Thanks for the clarification that makes 2019 even stronger than what the initial numbers show.
That's impossible to dispute, 2019 already surpassed all of 2018 with a quarter to spare :) Annualized it's looking like we'll hit nearly 111k sales $100+ this year, which is 27% higher than the previous record. Actually when I saw your article I was kicking myself for not paying closer attention, that's a pretty big deal.

That said, I believe most of the increase is coming from GoDaddy. They're trending towards being up 30k sales $100+ for 2019 compared to last year... an 83% increase! We only track expired auctions at GoDaddy automatically so it isn't about wholesalers liquidating more than before. Probably a combination of registrar partner agreements to auction expired inventory on GoDaddy, less domains making it to closeouts, higher prices bringing more domains into the $100+ bucket, etc.

•••
That's impossible to dispute, 2019 already surpassed all of 2018 with a quarter to spare :) Annualized it's looking like we'll hit nearly 111k sales $100+ this year, which is 27% higher than the previous record. Actually when I saw your article I was kicking myself for not paying closer attention, that's a pretty big deal.

That said, I believe most of the increase is coming from GoDaddy. They're trending towards being up 30k sales $100+ for 2019 compared to last year... an 83% increase! We only track expired auctions at GoDaddy automatically so it isn't about wholesalers liquidating more than before. Probably a combination of registrar partner agreements to auction expired inventory on GoDaddy, less domains making it to closeouts, higher prices bringing more domains into the $100+ bucket, etc.

Yes I was going to add GoDaddy kicking butt their numbers are way up.

•••
Back