NameSilo

Will Sedo will make things right with the October GreatDomains auction sellers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will Sedo will make things right with the October GreatDomains auction sellers?

• 1st

No

votes
    100.0%
  • 2nd

Yes

votes
    0.0%

• 18 votes
  • Ended 15 years ago
  • Final results
Impact
The October Great Domains Auction Fiasco

Dear NamePros,

First of all, please reference Sedo's DNF October 22nd post:

Due to a malicious attempt to disrupt our services, Sedo suffered from two different distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks which temporarily caused the Sedo and GreatDomains.com websites to be slow or irresponsive between 17:55 and 20:15 CET on October, 22nd 2009 (11:55 and 2:15 PM EDT).

Now keep in mind that although both the October Great Domains auction and the .DE auction had the exact same end time, only the .DE auction was extended.

I need all of your help. If you attempted to bid on any of the October Great Domains inventory within the last say 5 minutes of auction end and couldn't due to site failure, please post your experience in this thread or PM me if you would prefer.

Maybe you didn't even participate in the auction but couldn't access the site. Please reply in the case as well.

I need to start collecting this information.

Thank You,

Craig

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was trying to get in and was unsuccessful, so I gave up after a bit and started trolling through high tech sites, looking for new techie terms.

•••
I was trying to get in and was unsuccessful, so I gave up after a bit and started trolling through high tech sites, looking for new techie terms.
I appreciate you coming forward. As a seller, having sold 4 domains in the auction, it is extremely frustrating knowing that some bidders simply were not able to participate at the very end (last 5 minutes) due to Sedo's site failure.

•••
I tried 3 or 4 times to get to Sedo,was denied so went elsewhere.

•••
Same here. I tried to bid on the some domains but could not get in. Very frustrating!

•••
Jammer & ebatcave,

Honestly, Sedo is trying to brush this October Great Domains fiasco under the rug.

Thank you for lending your voices!

•••
Its very frustrating for people who had domains in the auction, resulting in domains not reaching their true potential, but if it was indeed an attack on the servers, then there is very little anyone can do about it. I suppose the fair thing to do would be to rerun the auctions, or at least release the victims from their commitment to sell the affected domains. I think some people will believe that it was volume of traffic which caused the problems.

•••
I suppose the fair thing to do would be to rerun the auctions, or at least release the victims from their commitment to sell the affected domains.

What is sad is that although the October Great Domains auction ended at the exact same time as the .DE auction. There was no auction extension.

As a matter of fact, Sedo is denying that the Great Domains auction was even affected.

Hence the point of this thread!

•••
I hope plenty of people come forward. I am sure they only survive because they get all the big domain sales. It certainly is not because of their customer service.

•••
DomainNameWire.com has a brief article regarding Sedo's statement:

Domain Name Wire » News » Sedo Auction Woes Were Caused by Denial of Service Attack - The Domain Industry's News Source

Take a look at some of the comments that have been left:

11.Domain Investor October 23rd, 2009 | 5:01 pm
I was not able to access Sedo at the end of the Great Domains auction.

12.AR October 23rd, 2009 | 11:33 pm
I was going to bid on 3 different domains up to $5,000 but could not access the site about 20 minutes prior to the auction ending. I actually saw that error page saying the auction would be extended until 8 due to technical issues. I checked back a few hours later thinking I could still bid – based on the notice I saw when they were having issues. When I came back a few hours later all auctions had already ended. I do realize the confusion and I thought it said EST, but as mentioned above it was CET which in the US meant their downtime caused confused and we did not bid on domains we wanted. We were ready to bid within 10 minutes of the auctions scheduled end time.

So there are at least 3 domains that sold without our bids. Domain sellers were hurt by this downtime. Is there any way to see what prices the domains actually sold for after the auctions have closed?

14.Adam October 24th, 2009 | 1:25 am
poor planning. bummer for anyone with names in the GD auction

15.AR October 24th, 2009 | 1:33 am
Bummer for buyers too!

And Sedo has the nerve to say via a DNF post:

While the Sedo and GreatDomains websites were slowed as the auction was closing, our bid logs show that we did not experience any downtime until a brief window of time after the close of the final domain being sold in the GreatDomains auction. Bids were still being received throughout the close of the auction and every domain receiving bids in the final minutes were extended in accordance with our auction rules. Throughout the auction, the number of bids received were high and consistent, and in the end, this GreatDomains auction resulted in higher than average bids and sales volume, easily beating the results from our September auction. Because every domain that would have been extended due to bidding activity were in fact extended, there was no cause or reason for any further extensions of the auction timeframe.

•••
Why is there 19000 domains up on Sedo anyway? I mean, never in over a year have i even recieved a bid at Sedo, but finally when i get a bid i find my domain as one of 19000 domains!

Its a farce IMO.

In fact i would suggest that having so many domains for sale at one time crashed the servers.

the word GREED come to mind.

Last edited:
•••
NamePros Friends,

Look no further for proof that Sedo is being dishonest!

Listed below is the body of an email I just sent Sedo

I would like to show you why your comany is dishonest in stating the following via a DNF post:

"Sedo would like to take this chance to provide more information regarding the distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack that intended to disrupt our services yesterday, including the conclusion of our monthly auction at GreatDomains.com and the 1, 2, & 3-Character .de Pre-Auction. While the Sedo and GreatDomains websites were slowed as the auction was closing, our bid logs show that we did not experience any downtime until a brief window of time after the close of the final domain being sold in the GreatDomains auction. Bids were still being received throughout the close of the auction and every domain receiving bids in the final minutes were extended in accordance with our auction rules. Throughout the auction, the number of bids received were high and consistent, and in the end, this GreatDomains auction resulted in higher than average bids and sales volume, easily beating the results from our September auction. Because every domain that would have been extended due to bidding activity were in fact extended, there was no cause or reason for any further extensions of the auction timeframe."

The proof is bright as day...

My Great Domains Auction Results:

Heated.com
Winning Bid: $1,500
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 11:53 AM EST
Bidding History*-*Sedo.co.uk

Galoshes.com
Winning Bid: $5,600
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:55 PM CEST (11:55 AM EST)
Bidding History*-*Sedo.com

Argument.com
Winning Bid: $5,301
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 11:52 AM EST

SoftMusic.com
Winning Bid: $2,210
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:44 PM CEST (11:54 AM EST)

Additionally, I had three Sedo brokered auctions that took
place at the exact same time (same end time):

Xplosive.com
Winning Bid: $2,050
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:56 PM CEST (11:56 AM EST)

SunnyShore.com
Winning Bid: $80
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:48 PM CEST (11:48 AM EST)

PureTitanium.com
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 03:25 PM CEST (9:25 AM EST)

Please show me where any of my auctions received bids after 11:56 AM EST?

Now as you are well aware, seasoned bidders will wait until the very end to bid so as to avoid driving the price up early on. As a matter of fact, I am gathering bidder testimony on both DNF as well as NamePros regarding this fiasco.

Again, my question to Sedo is this. Why wasn't the October Great Domains auction extended due to disrupted services just as the .DE auction was?

Both high profile auctions ended at the exact same time and were negatively affected in the exact same way!!

Last edited:
•••
Mentioned this in another thread, but I just moved all my domains from sedo.
Too much is too much.
Can't bid during premium auctions -couldn't imagine being the seller/ 1 month for a sales transaction to be completed(not finished yet)/etc etc.

Jedi,
Hope you can get some resolution out of this.

•••
Hmmm, so, they place bids on the domains they want, maybe, then do a denial of service attack? Is that what happened?

•••
Hmmm, so, they place bids on the domains they want, maybe, then do a denial of service attack? Is that what happened?
I think Sedo made a rash decision to chase the .DE auction monies without giving any thought for their sellers or the bidders who missed out on the October Great Domains auction due to their site failure.

•••
Dear NamePros Friends,

First of all, sorry about the typo in the poll/thread title!

Will Sedo make things right with the October GreatDomains auction sellers?

Yes or No?

For all those who were not following the October GreatDomains auction or the .DE auction on October 22nd, this is what happened.

Basically, the last 4-5 minutes before auction end, Sedo’s Sedo.com and GreatDomains.com sites had issues and I couldn’t log in at all to check my GreatDomains auctions or my Sedo brokered auctions (ending at the exact same time).

Sedo, while trying to get their websites up and running issued the following statement on their GreatDomains.com domain:

[SEDO STATEMENT NUMBER 1]

“Due to the extremely high participation in the .De Pre-Auction Sedo?s website was temporarily down. We have decided to extend the auction until 8:00 PM CET. If necessary we will extend the auction later than this time to accommodate additional bids.

We want to apologize for any inconvenience caused and we appreciate your participation in the 1, 2, & 3-Character .de Pre-Auction.”

You will notice that the only apology granted is to the .DE auction bidders.

Also, seeing how all of Sedo’s auctions were negatively affected by these site issues (i.e GreatDomains, .DE, regular Sedo auctions etc.), wouldn’t you think that they would extend the October GreatDomains auction as well…

Later that day:

[SEDO STATEMENT NUMBER 2]

“Due to a malicious attempt to disrupt our services, Sedo suffered from two different distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks which temporarily caused the Sedo and GreatDomains.com websites to be slow or irresponsive between 17:55 and 20:15 CET on October, 22nd 2009 (11:55 and 2:15 PM EDT). Together with its protection provider, Prolexic, Sedo successfully fought both attacks and our websites are again fully operational. While the GreatDomains auction has concluded, to provide equal opportunities for all parties interested of the 1, 2 & 3-Character .de Pre-Auction, Sedo has extended the auction and attempted to contact and notify all bidders of the extended schedule.”

Please keep in mind that the October GreatDomains auction had the exact same end time as the .DE auction!

Followed up by:

[SEDO STATEMENT NUMBER 3]

"Sedo would like to take this chance to provide more information regarding the distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack that intended to disrupt our services yesterday, including the conclusion of our monthly auction at GreatDomains.com and the 1, 2, & 3-Character .de Pre-Auction. While the Sedo and GreatDomains websites were slowed as the auction was closing, our bid logs show that we did not experience any downtime until a brief window of time after the close of the final domain being sold in the GreatDomains auction. Bids were still being received throughout the close of the auction and every domain receiving bids in the final minutes were extended in accordance with our auction rules. Throughout the auction, the number of bids received were high and consistent, and in the end, this GreatDomains auction resulted in higher than average bids and sales volume, easily beating the results from our September auction. Because every domain that would have been extended due to bidding activity were in fact extended, there was no cause or reason for any further extensions of the auction timeframe.

Sedo has invested heavily to build a robust infrastructure that can handle high traffic, even during multiple auction events, and were it not for a malicious attack on our servers by those attempting to disrupt our services, pages would have loaded as fast as normal. Due to our proactive measures to implement a response system for such attacks, the DDOS queries were quickly routed away from our servers and the site no longer experienced any delays. While we regret that some of our users experienced a slow response rate from our website, we are encouraged that even during an extreme event we concluded another successful GreatDomains auction."

Now, here are my auction results Friends. You be the judge:

My Great Domains Auction Results:

Heated.com
Winning Bid: $1,500
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 11:53 AM EST

Galoshes.com
Winning Bid: $5,600
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:55 PM CEST (11:55 AM EST)

Argument.com
Winning Bid: $5,301
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 11:52 AM EST

SoftMusic.com
Winning Bid: $2,210
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:44 PM CEST (11:54 AM EST)

Additionally, I had three Sedo brokered auctions that took
place at the exact same time (same end time):

Xplosive.com
Winning Bid: $2,050
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:56 PM CEST (11:56 AM EST)

SunnyShore.com
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 05:48 PM CEST (11:48 AM EST)

PureTitanium.com
Last Bid Placed: Oct/22/09 03:25 PM CEST (9:25 AM EST)

As you can clearly see, none of my auctions received bids after 11:56 AM EST!

Now, as is common knowledge, seasoned bidders will wait until the very end to bid so as to avoid driving the price up early on.

With regard to my personal interactions with Sedo:

As of Friday, my Sedo rep. said that Sedo will not hold it against me if I decide not to honor the winning bid prices however, I got the feeling that Sedo isn't going to void the auctions and that the buyers can pursue legal action if they wish to do so.

My question to all of you is this:

Will Sedo make things right with the October GreatDomains auction sellers?

Sincerely,

Craig

Last edited:
•••
I am interested as to why you have started another thread on this topic?

Quite frankly, nothing ever surprises me in the domain world anymore, IMO it's the shiftiest business i have ever seen, and Ive seen a few.

I highly doubt a DDOS attack occurred at all, but rather the masses of late bidders on so many domains at once simply overwhelmed the server, DDOS attack..........PLEASE, GET REAL!

NP's is as close as you get to an honest domain sales forum, and even then there are some real bad apples occasionally.

If i made a list of all the dodgy stuff i had seen in regards to domain sales i could write a book, and i have only been into it for 1 year!

So to cut a long story short, NO you wont get any refunds or cancelled bids, and SEDO will certainly keep you hanging in no mans land in case people take legal action against you.

In other words, your on your own, and we (SEDO) don't care a bit.

Sums it up i reckon?

•••
I am interested as to why you have started another thread on this topic?
maxeaus,

Fair question my friend.

This thread is to solicit opinions/feedback from member's who have dealt with Sedo in times past.

I appreciate your post.

Best,

Craig

•••
Craig,

Thanks so much for starting this thread, you did all the Great Domains sellers and bidders a service. I just saw your post here, this is my original post on NamePros: http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...ober-great-domains-down-last.html#post3630926

Sedo apparently believes that their loyal domain sellers are not important to them and not important to their business revenues anyway.

Facebook and Twitter get DDOS too, and they APOLOGIZE. I don't see Sedo saying sorry anytime, they are just trying to escape the situation.

J73,

I need to move my domains out of Sedo soon too. "Too much is too much"...I totally agree. I have had too much anger, frustration and disappointment with them. They don't care about their sellers, what more can I say? We should all just move to another domain marketplace that deserves our commissions.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I shall re-post part of my earlier thread for your convenience:

From 11:56 AM EST to 12:09 PM EST, where I was, my colleagues were unable to load the Great Domains pages. Bidders in the Great Domains auctions were frantic, and when they could not bid, I received this flurry of emails during and shortly after the disrupted auction, from people trying to bid on one of my domains in the auction.

I have seen other domain sellers in the auction get hit hard as well...prices were below what they could have been, and bidders have already confirmed that they were unable to process their bids.

Then WHY does Sedo just decide to revive the .DE auctions and toss the Great Domains auctions out the window? Because .DE has a lot more money to be made, it does not matter to them if our Great Domains domain sold at $3,000 instead of $5,000, it is just a measly $200 difference to them, compared to the much higher differential in loss for Great Domains.

I have lost faith in Sedo. Such a major screw up, and yet they don't address the issue, don't offer a reauction, and come up with statistics that show that October Great Domains had more bids than previous auctions and that sale prices were better?

This is totally IRRELEVANT:

1) Who cares if the winning bids were, wow, higher than past average sales? There could be a crappy domain on Great Domains which was already "overvalued" at the current highest bid. Who cares? Some bidder may decide that, hey, I impulsively like this crappy domain, I will bid up this overvalued domain just because I like it/I am flush with cash/etc etc. But, in the last 5 min, it was impossible to bid! It doesn't matter if a crappy domain was at $10k, it could have gone for $20k because of this...it doesn't matter what Sedo thinks the domain value is!

2) There was a percentage of people who wanted to bid but could not bid in the last 5 minutes, but it was not reflected as different from September, since the bidders in September were not as actively bidding. This possibility cannot be ruled out, especially since bidders are ready to vouch for it.

3) It was the LAST 5 MINUTES. Does that mean anything to a domain bidder? Well...Sedo is just trying to tell everyone that the last 5 minutes is totally not crucial to the pricing of the domain sale. Do they not know that there is always last minute bidding in the LAST 5 MINUTES? They should know this better than anyone else. People trying to outbid each other at the last few minutes can jack up the price of a domain from $10k to $50k and keep getting it extended. Well, if bids could not go through, there would be no competition possible.

...I am just extremely frustrated, my domain sold much lower than what I actually paid for it, and I have these emails from bidders who emailed offering much higher amounts. Looks like a legal storm brewing.

I am looking to sell my domains elsewhere, where the management actually takes ownership of the situation. Please feel free to suggest, I am sick and tired of nonsensical remarks by Sedo and the complete lack of commitment to their loyal sellers.

•••
Hi again Soundvibe, Thank you for lending your voice.

I encourage all those who have domains listed at Sedo to take into consideration this situation.

I am looking for additional opinions, feedback etc.

•••
I just realize that people on the forums have said they've been removing all their domains from Sedo and closing their account due to multiple issues and unhappiness. I must have been blind to not realize this before.

•••
Tomorrow I will be speaking with the North America Director of Sales. I will keep you all posted.

I realize that this incident didn’t affect all of you however, your voices of support will be heard loud and clear by Sedo.

Please keep the feedback/opinions coming.

•••
Tomorrow I will be speaking with the North America Director of Sales. I will keep you all posted.

I realize that this incident didn’t affect all of you however, your voices of support will be heard loud and clear by Sedo.

Please keep the feedback/opinions coming.

Look forward to hearing more from you Jedi, I wasn't planning on bidding on any myself, but some of your results were FAR too low. With this issue and the new minimum commission structure, it looks like Sedo is just SCREAMING to lose a lot of business.

Best of luck!

•••
I did have one more October GreatDomains auction that didn't receive any bids at the end of the auction. Thank goodness the reserve price wasn't met!

Here are the details:

ChocolateBars.com
High Bid: $9,999
Last Bid Placed: Oct/15/09 04:46 PM EST

Please note that ChocolateBars.com was one of the higher profile October GreatDomains auctions. In fact, the high bid price you see took place on the very first day the auction went live.

Also, Sedo had the domain ChocolateBars.com advertised in both of their banners for the full seven days of the auction.

Sedo, where are the end of auction bids for any of my auctions?

Last edited:
•••
Yesterday, I was supposed to receive a call from Sedo's North America Director of Sales…

No call. No follow up email.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back