Domain Empire

Will .CA would for California names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does the .CA tld (Canadian) also "work" for California names? For exmaple, would LosAngeles.ca be a good name since it looks and sounds like Los Angeles, CA?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.ca is a partially restricted CCTld, so it can't just be registered and used openly for California sites

•••
rocketfly said:
.ca is a partially restricted CCTld, so it can't just be registered and used openly for California sites

What he says is true :tu:

I will get all of those .ca's since I am CANADIAN! :hehe:

•••
Well if you were Canadian you could buy the domain than advertise it like that. Half the people don't know and it actually looks alright :)

•••
Premium said:
What he says is true :tu:

I will get all of those .ca's since I am CANADIAN! :hehe:

Only Canadians can register .ca domains?

•••
.ca would't stand for california?

.CF will be okay?

•••
.CA is already taken by canada so Calfornia has to look for some else option like .cl or .cf if those are free..then

•••
I know that .CA is already taken by Canada but half the people think it stands for California lol. Just like people actually the .TV stands for television but it's actually for the country Tuvalu. I know in Canada we sort of have sub-domains like .mb.ca so maybe there could be .ca.us or something like that.

•••
kjmz said:
I know that .CA is already taken by Canada but half the people think it stands for California lol. Just like people actually the .TV stands for television but it's actually for the country Tuvalu. I know in Canada we sort of have sub-domains like .mb.ca so maybe there could be .ca.us or something like that.

Good call. .CA.US is already in use by all the California cities and governments.

http://www.ci.la.ca.us/ << Los Angeles
http://www.ci.sf.ca.us/ << San Francisco
http://www.ci.pinole.ca.us/ << My hometown

•••
•••
kjmz said:
Wow! lol

I should be on the ICANN committee for being so smart :)

That probably predates ICANN, so it may be hard to give them credit. Newbies may not know that the .us extension was totally heirarchical until just a few years ago. All states still have a two character second level, and the third level has subdomains for CI (city), CO (county), K12 (schools Kindergarten - 12th grade), etc. It was not well known, but in many areas you could get free us domains under your city locality such as yourname.losangeles.ci.ca.us. However, they were long enough no one really wanted them. It was also not automated, and you had to contact the person who managed the DNS sub zone of your state or city. Until recently, .gov was reseved ONLY for federal government, and local and state had to use .us or gTLD's.

Just for general info, there are a lot more subdomains reserved for potential future use in the .us namespace such as zip codes #####.us and #####-####.us and phone numbers ###-###-####.us.

•••
I think there should not be anykind of domain more lower than ccTLD. like country code TLD is fine but even u go further to state and zone level then surely it will get more and more complicated . dotCA should be used only for canadian domains not for California else whole world will try to have domain of their own state and zone even for city or small area ... which might get more and more complicated and more ugly competiton migt grow up. SO domain should be restricted till ccTLD not "scTLD(state code TLD)". Lets see what future holds

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back