IT.COM

opinion Will 2021 be the biggest year ever for domains?

NameSilo
Watch

Will 2021 be the biggest year ever for domain sales?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    45.0%
  • No

votes
    42.5%
  • I don't know

votes
    12.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

DomainAgents

VIP Member
DomainAgents.com
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I have good memories of the Fish.com domain in the early 90s. It used to be the hangout of Dan Farmer, notable security researcher. He created Satan in 1995 with Wietse Venema (best known for Postfix). Dan eventually sold the Fish.com domain and registered Fish2.com to continue his journey.

Last edited:
•••
One look at the auction activity alone and you are seeing things never seen before in the history of domaining. The consequence of this will take about a year to see, but it will be shocking. A few visionaries probably are already making purchases based on this.

When a domainer buys a name for 100 you can bet he will ask for more than a 100 and when he buys one for 1000 you could bet he will ask more than 1000.

What happens when the good names go at auction for 5x what you would expect the same name would go for 5 years ago? You end up having a flood of names on the aftermarket suddenly priced way higher on avg. than you used to have.

When buyers look for domain options and everywhere they look they see 4-5 digit prices, you start anchoring their brains to this being the norm. You end up seeing more sales at higher prices thus other domainers up their prices and before you know it in a short period of time you have 5-6 figure sales being as normal as 4 figure sales are now and even 7 figure sales become common.

I monitor who ends up buying a lot of names at GD auctions even for 4+ figures. In fact, a while ago I would post on here the results. I was totally shocked to see someone like HD spend so much on GD. But guess what, they know what's up and they started to up their prices accordingly.

For example, on 2-4-2021 digitalmagician com was purchased by HD for 500 and is now listed for about 9k. On 12-25-2020 BanterNews com closed on GD for 370 and is listed by HD for 7700. I am using HD because they know what they are doing and I never seen them be the buyer of so many names that end up being over 500. They were always aggressive but i'm seeing a whole new level of aggressiveness and I like to study what the people that know are doing vs. some random guy playing around with domains.

I also look at sales reports and it is incredible what some names are going for. We are going to suddenly wake up to this giant explosion in domain prices and obviously many right now not aware of what's going on are donating their domains.

More degenerate gamblers where created in the past 6 months than in the past 6 centuries. You are seeing it in crypto, meme stocks and overall stocks, startup funding, real estate and even in domains. When you see people fighting to pay 4-5 figures for non dotcoms, you know what's to come.

If you are holding domains of real value, make sure you are pricing them for todays market and the market that's upon us. If you don't you will feel as silly as someone selling their BTC last year for 4k and their home for 30% less than what they can get now.

With the rise of available cash for startups more will need domains and it is always easier for them to spend 5-7 figures on a name when the money came easy.

It is only a matter of time before a financial publication takes note on the brewing bubble in domains and that will just bring more people into this. Many of those people racked up a fortune in other assets and will see it as a way to diversify.

•••
It maybe slow this year because of the Pandemic.

@AEProgram thanks! This was really a nice quote "study what the people that know are doing vs. some random guy playing around with domains."

•••
For example, on 2-4-2021 digitalmagician com was purchased by HD for 500 and is now listed for about 9k. On 12-25-2020 BanterNews com closed on GD for 370 and is listed by HD for 7700. I am using HD because they know what they are doing and I never seen them be the buyer of so many names that end up being over 500. They were always aggressive but i'm seeing a whole new level of aggressiveness and I like to study what the people that know are doing vs. some random guy playing around with domains.

The market is being manipulated, but it also has new interest due to crypto.

The rise of digital currency is opening up the market to new investors looking to buy and sell.

The increase of GoDaddys Closeout auction prices has changed the way HugeDomains buys domains. Now instead of trying to beat people at the snipe (which they were loosing to 4-5 specific snipers :xf.wink:) they just go across all of the "good" domains and place a bid.

There are hidden analytics tools they use that gives them the advantage to do so. That's how they make their auction buying decisions.

Now they just place a $250 bid on a domain and let it ride; as long as their metrics are telling them that's and "ok" name they are all-in.

Names that would go to closeout for $20 last year are now being bid up to $500. However, if you bought some $20 names last year if you want to take advantage of the market then go SELL those names now while the prices are high.

It is a sellers market for the first time for domains.

Make smart flips now, this will be a great year for everyone.

Last edited:
•••
There are hidden analytics tools they use that gives them the advantage to do so. That's how they make their auction buying decisions.

They have their own data that is better than any other tool out there. They know what moves, they know what people are looking for, they have a ton of domains, they see trends early and can leverage that well.

Everyday on DC you could see 400+ names (in the Pre-Release) that HD gave up trying to sell. If you google those names or look up their history you will see that at some point HD had it listed for 3k+ and gradually lowered the price until they decided to let go of it.

Hopefully one day I'll build landers that follow their flow (bin+payment plan +phone number). If Afternic BD, and HD make sure to put phone numbers I suspect it matters.

•••
Hopefully one day I'll build landers that follow their flow (bin+payment plan +phone number). If Afternic BD, and HD make sure to put phone numbers I suspect it matters.

Just grab a number and put it up on a page. Use a Google Voice number.

I have a js protected eMail address on all of my landers that corresponds with he domain (ie. PAsports.com [email protected] - just an example) , when someone contacts me I also give them my Gvoice number - we can chat about the domain.

I don't believe in BIN prices on pages, but payment plans and taking to somebody on the phone are so important.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Signs look good, but 2022 (and beyond) could be even bigger.

I think in a couple of years, single word .com's could go for 7 figures regularly. Due to all high street closures (Covid), the last year as shown how important it is for online presence and Trump (whether you agree with it or not) getting banned from Twitter/Faceook shows if a president of the US can get silenced online, anyone can be silenced/removed in an instant.

You need to be in control of your own destiny and a domain name does that.

Last edited:
•••
Signs look good, but 2022 (and beyond) could be even bigger.

I think in a couple of years, single word .com's could go for 7 figures regularly. Covid due to all high street closures has shown the need for online presence and Trump (whether you agree with it or not) getting banned from Twitter/Faceook shows if a president of the US can get silenced online, anyone can be silenced/removed in an instant.

You need to be in control of your own destiny and a domain name does that.
once inflation kicks in 10 figures are possible too

•••
Bird.com and fish.com have not moved, nor look paid for, what does this say for the other auctions this party bid for, and bid up, why have these domains not been paid for, lots of headlines of sale of such names, but nobody talks about completion.

•••
To me so far it seems about the same, some areas increased others decreased.

Weekly reported sales, apart from top domains, aren't really very impressive. Volume seems increased on everyday domains but prices a bit smaller. At least from my point of view.

•••
Bird.com and fish.com have not moved, nor look paid for, what does this say for the other auctions this party bid for, and bid up, why have these domains not been paid for, lots of headlines of sale of such names, but nobody talks about completion.

Even if they are not paid for, it is still shows the direction single word domains .com's are going as there must have been another bidder (or several) close to the winning amount.

Also says to me that even if these domains are not completed, a high 7 figure sale is probably going to happen with these domains some stage this year.

I think it's been a great 1st quarter of the year so far. Even none .com's are going for huge amounts, a record breaking .net sale, a record breaking .io sale.

•••

I guess, the owner (bros) of both domains and their broker (bros) didn't reach the $ goal @ auction.

Regards

•••
I guess, the owner (bros) of both domains and their broker (bros) didn't reach the $ goal @ auction.

Regards
The reserve were hit, if people bidding $3000 are vetted; why wouldn’t people bidding millions, these are serious questions for people who were outbid by this bidder in other auctions also.
So many blogs announced the sale, nobody really cared to follow thru with it.

•••
The reserve were hit, if people bidding $3000 are vetted; why wouldn’t people bidding millions, these are serious questions for people who were outbid by this bidder in other auctions also.
So many blogs announced the sale, nobody really cared to follow thru with it.

If sold!? Maybe there's something going on like in my case:

Last year, I had opportunity to get rid of LLL com for L6F and bc of guidelines (cash source trust issues) set by my lawyer (deposit refund/ deposit chargeback) I hold on d transfer for 60-120 (61 day in this case) days.

Maybe ...

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back