Dynadot

analysis Why Reporting Domain Name Sales Matter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TauseefKhan

Top Member
Impact
In my last post, I outlined some of the reasons why investors don’t come forward and share their domain name sales. And, the post was well-received by the Namepros members. Thanks!

Now, in this post, I am putting out my own reasons for why reporting domain name sales matters. And, why individual investors and or domain marketplaces share it!

• Publicity: The number one reason why investors or marketplaces share their domain name sales is to gain publicity for their platform or for their own individual purposes.
  • Reference: Suppose you are an investor on an individual basis. You received an offer for one of your domain names for says $500. And, you countered that with $9000. And, the buyer came up with an email designed to demotivate you. Without wasting time you simply send him the link to your publicly reported domain sales. This cements your position as a domain investor and puts the low-ballers away. Your publicly reported sales start acting on its own as a filter to dissuade the low-ballers.
  • Business: Everybody is after business. And, one of the ways to increase business for your own enterprise or domain marketplace is to start sharing the domain name sold under your marketplace or your own domain shop. For marketplaces, it helps them gain more submission resulting in greater turnover or revenue when they share more sales data. Domain investors are not that brand-loyal - means attached to a particular marketplace.
  • UDRPs: Let’s say someone wants to buy your domain name. And, he realizes that you’re not that so popular in the domain world. And, this gives him an idea that it may be easy to win against you if a UDRP - C&D letter is sent to you. But, if they find out that you are a well-established domain investor with reported sales in thousands of dollars and with UDRP wins too. Then, in such a case – the person or company going for UDRP filing may think it twice! - AbdulBasit.com in his post sums it nicely about the UDRP filings against his domain names. ” I wanted to convey a message to all people around the world, I will try my best to defend my properties and won’t let them go easily. And RickSchwartz, The DomainKing goes even further with HallofShame.com where he says ” … So I opened up HallofShame.com to put a spotlight on some very bad behavior, by some very big companies, in the hope, it will get noticed and put an end to this disgusting practice.
  • Giving Back: Many investors have this thinking that by reporting domain name sales – they are actually not bragging but helping the domain industry community as a whole. Because more than strategies and theories it’s the actual sales that drive people to domain investing. And, in this tweet, Michael Cyger says this very nicely:
image-2.png

• Connections & Opportunities: Sharing domain name sales may result in giving you an unexpectedly high-level connection which may be just right to pitch your domain name to them. Though it may not always happen – there are investors who with the help of their own reported domain name sales – cemented high-level relationships to boost their own business.
  • Corrections: Most of the investors don’t take clue or inputs from other investors while pricing their domain names. And, when they report a sale it gives other investors an idea of whether it’s undersold or hit the right sport. And, if it’s undersold – the investor with inputs from other investors may correct the pricing of already existing domain names under his/her portfolio in similar vertical or category.
  • Tweet Transparency: Most domain investors tweet the domain name they sold thru the twitter channel also. That draws more participation. Robert Craven says in this postWhether it’s product reviews, political opinions, innermost thoughts or even a photo of today’s lunch, people are living their lives completely out in the open, laying bare all manner of minutiae online. This expectation for transparency has extended beyond personal interactions and is now a reality in business.
I think the above are some of the reasons why domain investors prefer reporting their domain name sales. Though everyone has their own preferences when it comes to reporting or not reporting domain sales and we all respect both choices.

From https://tldjournal.com/domain-names/why-reporting-domain-name-sales-matter

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back