IT.COM

Why it's important to build relationships and how to do so?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When I was young, I sort of know that life is not a zero sum game.

We can make money without others having to lose money.

Evolutionary psychology aside, where humans are indeed bigots, I learn that cooperation between humans are very useful to success for those successfully cooperating (often at expense of everyone else).

What I didn't understand is why do we need relationship anyway? I have a store that sell stuff. I want to buy. I buy. So what? Most of my life we do not need this so called relationship.

Well it turns out we live in a very abundant world. There are ways to make tons and tons of money.

However, to build that kind of money, we need trust.

Why trust? I put $10. I got apple. If one guy try to cheat another the other guy will just scream.

Most transactions are indeed like that. But many best things in life aren't like that.

One of the reason why I can just buy apple pies from McDonald is because the transaction is small. In repeated prisoner dilemma game it's easy to trust one another if you split transaction into smaller pieces. Many payout, cannot be divided into smaller pieces.

Say I am a corrupt official

Okay let's pick a more politically correct sample.

One year ago someone offered a simple JV. Still do. He provided traffic that he couldn't monetize anyway to someone and that someone will get 20%-30%.

Very simple. People had an adsense accounts that they're not using. Someone else know huge traffic and knows how to fill that. Traffic is real and can convert CPA/CPS. Adsense are happy with traffic and pay for years.

The result? After getting paid, the guy that's getting paid just run away with the money and tell everyone he never got paid.

That traffic supplier think ah I'll just write off the lost and try again with the honest. The result is 90% are dishonest. That's not the only problem. If even 10% of people are psychopaths and get paid well for that, the rest will follow. The difference between normal humans and psychopaths are not what they do, but when.

People are effectively psychopaths to strangers. Why shouldn't they? By being honest he lost money he could have gotten. He doesn't know whether the traffic provider will appreciate him or value him for that. If he knew that he can be trusted even though he is a stranger, he would expect to just jump to another supplier.

The supplier cannot ask for money in front. That's because account owners do not know whether the suppliers won't just run for money.

So even though there is a huge win win solution that can be achieved, it simply doesn't work because people cannot be trusted.

Counting on people with huge reputation doesn't always work. Quite often he's a jerk just like everyone else and when he speak against you, people tend to believe his words against your words.

So how to solve this? You can't just blame scammers for scamming. No. That's not how millionaires think. If you're dumb expect everybody to step on you. You can't leave too much money on the table either.

So finally he worked something out. Start small first. Make sure that those that have developed relationship got better deals (higher percentage, etc.).

Does it work fast? No. And that's why we are not billionaires over night. Relationship and trust takes time.

I had many such issues.

I promoted google affiliate network. I can easily make $10k-$30k per month extra with one of their affiliate. Yet, after a while google affiliate network ban my account.

Now, maybe something is indeed wrong. The affiliate itself doesn't seem to mind. Looks like the quality of sign up is acceptable.

However, if I and google affiliate network can trust each other, we can sort what the problem was and fix it. Maybe it's not $10k per month. Maybe fixing the problem reduce profit margin so we make less. But things can still work out.

But we don't trust each other. Google affiliate network may have thought I did something really bad. I am not sure what given that the bottom line is covered and sign ups from me should be high quality. I do not trust Google to be reasonable enough to send payment. Google cannot tell me what's wrong because Google think I did something wrong and they don't want to help me figure out what I am getting caught for. I definitely won't tell Google my business secrets.

So $10k per month is just lost like that.

If you are good at maintaining good relationship and avoiding misunderstanding, you can sign up to Google Affiliate Network, we can JV, and then you have to chat with Affiliate Manager and explain the situation. Then we can try again, you get some percentage.

That's just one sample why relationship is very important. I need people that can build relationship. Such people are "glue" that makes cooperation possible.

Recently my paypal account is banned with $9k balance. People with huge business network will just call someone that works at paypal and get their account easily reinstated. I don't have such connection. So I had to wait 180 days to get my money (if I got it) and be banned forever after that.

Paypal doesn't know that I am not just scammers that'll make them holding the bag. Actually paypal should have known given that I used them for years without any dispute against me. However, Paypal can't let their underlings making huge decisions. So they told all their underlings to just push me off. I do not know whether paypal is just scamming me so he can grab my money. What happen is people just scream against paypal in paypalsucks.com.

Anything I said may have made things worst so I just shut up.

How to build relationship? Just keep doing JV, and start small. Every success, every partner, is a relationship.

It's toward my best interest that my business partners become winners. That way I'll be connected to winners. So we both have plenty of incentive to work together in relationships. We don't have that without relationship.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no body interested in this? Everyone just want to know SEO SEO. The money is in relationship and it's very difficult for me to build one. All this time, it's out of sheer determination and huge LUCK rather than charm actually.

Perhaps other people can do better?

Actually that's my second advice. Have some strong will.

Last edited:
•••
Money can be made by forming relationships with affiliates and other webmasters. Each partner must be able to contribute something to the relationship though.

•••
I would like to build brand name first..

•••
We all need hardworking honest people to work with us to have a successful business, Transparency is also one key factor to take care off. Someone pulled out of partnership in a successful business is a big question that needs to address, A successful business normally have a healthy environment disregarding all levels or partnership simply your enjoying to harvest all your hard deeds. But pulling out or someone mess out the "partnership" on a successful business then there is a big MISTAKE somewhere in the system. Is greediness over trust and friendship? You may have the knowledge but don't have the skills, Reading this story, If you are the SEO master that brings business to the company then there is nothing to worry about, earning 10k - 30 k a month can simply allow you to hire people working with you on a monthly basis, a business development, a customer service or a PRO. remember less money involvement less risk. If you got banned in two most trusted sites/company then you might done something wrong. These companies earns through you and there must be a big reason in closing their business with you. You might think it's unfair on you for not knowing the reasons behind, but you can't resolved issues in an irate voice or a sarcastic emails. You can't buy relationship, but you can BUILD a true and unconditional one.

•••
If you are talking about Entity Relationship Diagrams, we need to make relationships to know the entities' relation to one another and of how they are connected.

•••
I got quite a few business ideas I do not have time to do. Many are proven on small scale.

If people would pledge 10% of profit (up to $1k per month per idea), I'll share it.

It's more or less honesty system. However, the best business ideas will go to those who pay up. If they don't pay, either he is incompetent or dishonest.

•••
I think you are right that in today's world relations are more important then marketing a business just like that. More and more brands are spending huge advertising budgets just to win hearts of their customers. And if you can do so on any scale then it will be a boon to your business.

•••
I really appreciate this post. Relationships can make a huge difference to your business. It can be the key for you to stand out among the crowd. Nothing can compare to a customer's trust once you already won them over.

Zidane

•••
Building relationship is needed today as we have less control over SEO...

•••
Is this post about building a business relationship and the importance of it so that he can get you his ideas and then you pay him royalties pretty much? lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back