Domain Empire

Why is every offer $250?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

toughdomains

Top Member
Impact
Is there some domain course out there or youtube video that is telling eveyone to offer this magic number?
I just got a phone call off of my domain store right now.
They called the number on my store page which goes to my cell phone (its not a real number but had a texas area code)
asked about cryptolaws in king
I needed to ask him what his offer was (he seemed very nervous not really sure what to say)
he replied $250.
I replied "we have rejected your offer"
and he said thanks and hung up.

I want to say the last 10 to 15 offers that come in are $250. Is someone going out there and telling people to offer $250? or do people look up good domains and call people all day and offer $250.

Not $200 not $300
Not $225 but $250 every time. Im going to make a category in my store and call it "$250 Domains" apparently there is a market for them.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Count yourself lucky. All the first offers I receive are $10 or $20 offers only. I have a hard time with these offers. Wondering whether they are from complete noobs, or from experienced domain buyers. Very often I will double my desired sales price. Based on the principal that if you want to low-ball me, then I'm going to high-ball you. It's an imperfect strategy. Generally it closes most conversations down. Only if they really want the domain do they stick around to negotiate. If a sale transpires, the buyer usually thinks they've made some good negotiations. And are happy :) And I'm also happy to get my original desired sales price :)

Last edited:
•••
Number 250 has mesmerizing effects and sometimes domainers inadvertently accept it. lol

•••
I always thought if you listed with afternics default of $250, this number was corresponding over. Many people see $250 min offer on Godaddy, and think that is what you want, I have had a few people contact me saying your only asking $250, can we do $200?

The problem with all these offers is the aftermarket is on fire, if you want something decent you are looking at mid 4 figures, you can max out a $50K credit card in like 2 weeks. Companies like Namejet are charging a nonsense surcharge, and Dropcatch has all these new usernames I have never seen before, 5 minutes to, a whole slew of new, and old regulars just pile on a 5-6 players on the day, and overbid them, it is insanity.

The same people you are feeding in the eco system, are competing with you in the aftermarkets, advantage to them as they are doing it with some of your own dollars.

Most are paying more than ever to acquire the quality names, others think they are paying less, but they are mainly acquiring dead inventory names, or almost quality names. Doing the math, it is very hard to waste time with nonsense offers, while paying aftermarket prices there is a huge divide.

I mean onenews.com which is a great domain just sold at godaddy auctions for $4K, someone needs $5K just to break even if it is done thru an exchange.

Last edited:
•••
Here's my insight on your post, and I will answer your question first.
I get $200-$250-$300 almost 99% of the time, because
- people don't know the value of a domain;
- because they are "seasoned" negotiators buyers/investors/etc and want to feel you out and want to get the best deal they could possibly get;

IMO you failed to gather vital info from your prospect that called you. This is what I ask when ANYONE calls me for a domain that I have for sale:

1.Are you looking for the domain for yourself, are you a web guy or representing a client?
2.What project you have going on?
3.Instead of asking "What's your offer?" I ask ...What's your budget today for a domain/your project?
4. And the very important one: Other then yourself who else needs to be involved or can influence this deal?
5.Of course they will ask for my price expectation and I simply say I will get back to them later on today once I get in front of my computer.
See what I did here? I now have some intel on WHO this prospect might be and what their budget might be while leaving space to followup and come up with a sale strategy for that name. I didn't ask for an offer, I didn't decline anything, I just asked questions and was very warm and polite. :xf.wink:
I then put together a strategy on how I am going to close this sale, when I call them back later that day with my price expectation.
thanks for the insights.
I actually use my own platform to sell all my names. I receive either a call or an offer through our landing pages. In all cases I get a name, email and ip address of the location of the buyer. I always research the domain on domain data sites but in most cases they come up with no matches. I also follow up with the buyers and in all cases they say they are just wanting the premium name to make a blog. I always counter with a fair offer but these are not normal names they are names that would clearly go for more than $200. I really feel there is some magic domain course out there that tells people to offer $200 for a premium name and you only need one person to say yes.
The names offered have been
castingdirector.com
smartdrones.com
heated.com
cryptolaws.com
These are just not names I would sell (or could sell based on my investment price) for anywhere close to $200.
I also counter with a lease price that is 1/20th of the purchase price per month. Now there are people that just see the name and price and purchase strait from my landing page but the ratio of that to $200 is around 1 to 10.

•••
just saw this offer from one of our clients asking us for an appraisal...another 200 offer on a premium name....does this actually work?

Hi,

It's [agent name] from DomainAgents.com writing in regards to the offer for [domain name]

I have tried to reach you out the past days to present you our client's offer but you haven't responded to this offer yet.

Our client's opening offer is $200. This offer is a starting point and not necessarily representative of their budget.

There is no cost for you to sell your domain via our service, all costs including Escrow.com's fees are paid by the buyer. The price you negotiate with the buyer is the amount you receive.

Find further information on our services, https://domainagents.com/howitworks_owner.php

Would you consider selling your domain? Is there a price I can enter as a counter offer on your behalf?

Thanks, looking forward to your reply.
Best,

•••
@toughdomains - Domain Agents are best described as a buyers broker. The buyer contacts them and DA contact the seller on their behalf, and the buyer remains anonymous.You should consider them lowball bidders and treat them as such. They've contacted me many times, but we have never been able to make a deal. Their buyers are mostly lowballers, IMHO. But they don't get labelled lowballers because their names are confidential. At least that's been my experience with DA. YMMV.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back