IT.COM

analysis Why is domain market very slow for past 2 months ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rathish

Top Member
Impact
Hello domainers , i see that domain market is very slow and down for past 2 months . Does any one know the reason behind it ?

some domainers were making good money even these days too but many domainers feels the same what i feel...

When will the market raise again or hereafter will this be the situation ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
when there are hundreds of domains being traded everyday...…
then how can one generalize the state of a "supposed market" as being slow?

as a single individuals' sales activity, isn't an accurate measure of the total volume of domain sales.
nor is a single individuals' portfolio an accurate measure of the total quality of the domains held by all other domainers.

in udder werds, your names may not be as good as other peoples names, which is why your sales may be slow and their sales are high or haven't slumped/

one's methods, strategies, knowledge and experience all play a part in this equation too.

imo….
hi then why are the other domainers here feeling the same like me...

I didn't say that i have no sale (i hvve flipped more than 20 domains in past month) , but i said that my sales are not good as of before 2 months...

Last edited:
•••
u make good point ...but for the record almost all here said its slow...not just one individual ;)
yes , that's my point...(y) thank's mate

•••
I see many new developments happening on other extensions. Hard to invest in them because so many options.

Last edited:
•••
It has been slowest months ever, probably because holiday season sales are around the corner and everyone is waiting and watching!

•••
I experience it too, and also the following observations:

- the number of good quality .coms in the droplist compared to 2015-16 (since I have reference) is way worse today. I guess competition is getting higher each year plus other unknown factors.

- namepros marketplace is also super slow. I usually run through the auctions and BIN threads, and I check if there is a different nic name in the thread other then the sellers nic. Not much action going on lately.

- while many of us experience slight decline Godaddy sells expired domains like hot cakes, but when you list similar quality names on their public auctions, noone shows up.

That is the worst policy of Godaddy, they give preference to their inventory more and lesser to others' in Auctions.

•••
I haven't noticed a significant slow down, I do get more offers every year around mid November thru April, not a great year so far, but i have had much worse.

•••
That is the worst policy of Godaddy, they give preference to their inventory more and lesser to others' in Auctions.
Yes friend , i too noticed that . very good quality one word .com domains sells for few hundred dollars while their useless expired made up words sell for thousands of dollar...

But it happens through the year , not only in these months...

•••
I haven't noticed a significant slow down, I do get more offers every year around mid November thru April, not a great year so far, but i have had much worse.
Don't worry friend , everything will be fine.

I Wish big sale comes to you ...(y)

•••
I wondered how last month compared to average of last year. Using NameBio last month (all extensions) 6092 sales with average price of $1068. If you compare to last year, and divide by 12 to get a monthly average, it is about 6800 sales with $1311 average price. While this supports idea that it might be a bit slower lately, it is well within normal variation I think.

•••
I decided to look at just com. Last month 5186 sales with $976 average price. If you take average of last year corresponding number per month is about 5780 with $1239 average. I also decided to look at a 5 year period in com, average price $1722 with average number sales per month of 4860. Therefore while numbers don't seem to be lower, prices do seem to be going down on average.

•••
I decided to look at just com. Last month 5186 sales with $976 average price. If you take average of last year corresponding number per month is about 5780 with $1239 average. I also decided to look at a 5 year period in com, average price $1722 with average number sales per month of 4860. Therefore while numbers don't seem to be lower, prices do seem to be going down on average.

Thank you @MetBob! if you have time, can you exclude sales of 100k and above? Sometimes one multi million acquisition -comes one time in a decade- and these can greatly affect the average. Let's be honest almost all of us here aren't even thinking of hitting that ball park.

Last edited:
•••
Hello domainers , i see that domain market is very slow and down for past 2 months . Does any one know the reason behind it ?

In my experience the first of the year is always the best for sales.

Possibly due to the 'fresh start' people want at that time; also, it is usually when corporate entities find the budget has 'extra' money to apply to branding/marketing/advertising.

Maybe it is because it is winter (northern hemisphere) and people spend more time indoors and on the net...that may lead them to a domain that is for sale.

For me the bottom line is I get ready and adjust pricing (upwards) in Nov/Dec if I notice a domain is getting more visits than usual.

•••
if you have time, can you exclude sales of 100k and above?

A good idea. Here are the numbers for .com only with highest price $99.9k. Sales numbers adjusted to monthly figure.

• Past 5 years 4860 per month, average $1215
  • Past year 5783 per month, average $922
  • Past month 5183, average $867
Bob

•••
A good idea. Here are the numbers for .com only with highest price $99.9k. Sales numbers adjusted to monthly figure.

• Past 5 years 4860 per month, average $1215
  • Past year 5783 per month, average $922
  • Past month 5183, average $867
Bob

Past year has more sales but less amounts than 5 yr average. So it is basically lots of low xxx sales being reported (probably due to new domainers looking for fast sales)

•••
It's possible that there have been some changes in which venues report to NameBio over the years that influence the prices as well.

It appears that there are almost 1000 more sales per month in the past year than in say 5 years ago, and I suspect that many of these are wholesale sales at venues like GoDaddy, Flippa, Dynadot, etc., and that pulls down the overall average. I agree that new domainers typically are more willing to sell for less.

If you look, e.g. at only Sedo sales, to try to take out this effect, for com only here are averges;
  • last 5 years $4744
  • last year $5980
  • last month $5667
No evidence of prices decreasing.

Bob

•••
Time of year can effect sales but it just goes in streaks, even if you have a large portfolio.
Some of my best months in sales have been recently.

Brad

•••
u make good point ...but for the record almost all here said its slow...not just one individual ;)

almost all, isn't all, and all who have or will post here, aren't enough people to make it so.

I didn't say that i have no sale (i hvve flipped more than 20 domains in past month) , but i said that my sales are not good as of before 2 months...

Hi

my reply is to the title of the thread, as it refers to state of "the domain market".

to me, it's a blanket statement that generalizes something that really isn't concrete.
where the perception of the market, may be different for each respective buyer and seller.

you may have sold 20 names in past month, so perhaps your expectations are to sell same amount or more within same period.

on the other hand, I prolly only sold about 20 domains within the last 5 years!
and so far this year, have only sold about 4 domains....and all of those, I owned at least 10 years

we don't see the same thing, the same way, nor do we have same expectations from it, nor do we expect to have transactions within the same intervals... and our margins for return on investments may be quite different as well.

so what's slow for you and the rest who feel the same, it may just be regular speed for me

:)

just saying.....

imo...

Last edited:
•••
almost all, isn't all, and all who have or will post here, aren't enough people to make it so.

Hi

my reply is to the title of the thread, as it refers to state of "the domain market".

to me, it's a blanket statement that generalizes something that really isn't concrete.
where the perception of the market, may be different for each respective buyer and seller.

you may have sold 20 names in past month, so perhaps your expectations are to sell same amount or more within same period.

on the other hand, I prolly only sold about 20 domains within the last 5 years!
and so far this year, have only sold about 4 domains....and all of those, I owned at least 10 years

we don't see the same thing, the same way, nor do we have same expectations from it, nor do we expect to have transactions within the same intervals... and our margins for return on investments may be quite different as well.

so what's slow for you and the rest who feel the same, it may just be regular speed for me

:)

just saying.....

imo...

Hi , i won't sell domains by inbound or outbound ...

I usually list my domain names in market place like namejet and flippa ...

But sales have suddenly fallen during past 2 months i have less bids and low sale price ( i sold 3 LLLL.com with good pattern and repeating letters at 70$ range while i sold the same LLLL.com domains with random pattern for around 400 $ just before 2 months ... even i too purchased some good domains at a starting bid ...

Definitely i can see there is a fall in all market places only a few domainers won't feel it... Even i got an inbound offer for one of my domain and i countered with just 100 $ above the offer price and i got a reply saying that

"hi , i would have paid for it but the market is down at this time , so i will purchase it later after a short analysis of the market "

And only after analysing everything i had opened this thread to know the reason , why this is going on...

Only from this January i took domaining as a serious business , eventhough i made a thousand + $ per month by last year . so i didn't feel anything last year at this time ... As this is the first time i am facing this fall , i seemed to be bit worried . But many other domainers here said it's usual during this time , so i got my confidence back now...

Thanks to all domainers here...:xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
during past 2 months i have less bids and low sale price ( i sold 3 LLLL.com with good pattern and repeating letters at 70$ range while i sold the same LLLL.com domains with random pattern for around 400 $ just before 2 months

You might be right @rathish that LLLL .com have dipped. If you look at LLLL that there has been a recent dip. When I first looked at LLLL as search term in NameBio in any extension the average for the last month is $706. However, I noticed that the top four sales were not in .com, so when I reduce it to just LLLL in .com for last month, the average drops to $553, significantly less than average in last five years. However some off these are 4 letter words. If you look at the median .com LLLL sale over just the past month it drops to $200.

It is also possible that end-users are more domain savvy, or at least using tools like NameBio and GoValue to research past sales prices, and that may be exerting, in some cases, downward pressure on prices.

It also seems to me that there may be a dip in other domain classes, perhaps in anticipation of a stock market correction. For example, the last week has had only 6 ngTLD sales, all at modest prices. The average over the past years is more than 4 times that rate.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
You might be right @rathish if you look at LLLL that there has been a recent dip. When I first looked at LLLL as search term in NameBio in any extension the average for the last month is $706. However, I noticed that the top four sales were not in .com, so when I reduce it to just LLLL in .com for last month, the average drops to $553, significantly less than average in last five years. However some off these are 4 letter words. If you look at the median .com LLLL sale over just the past month it drops to $200.

Hi friend , i quoted LLLL.com just for example but it also includes other one and two word dictionary domains ( if i listed LLLL.com on namepros then i would have got atleast double the amount it has been sold) ...

•••
•••
I just realize I may be using inbound incorrectly. I have designated everything other than outbound as inbound. i.e. if I list a domain name on a marketplace, and it sells without my directly reaching out to the buyer, I call that inbound. But an earlier post in this thread refers to neither inbound or outbound. Am I using the term incorrectly? Which is totally possible, I continue to learn every day here!

•••
•••

You can start a thread any month of the year and say:

Why are sales slow?

I'm having great sales.

Whatever

And you'll find somebody with the same experience.

•••
I just noticed flippa sales decreasing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back