IT.COM

guide .DIRECTORY / .FYI /.INFO /.TIPS may have lot of potential

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Raj2610

Established Member
Impact
I am almost a beginner in the game and I personally feel that one of the key features of Internet that has resulted in its tremendous growth is information churning and dissemination. If we build .DIRECTORY /.FYI /.INFO/.TIPS websites inline with popular demands then you may expect lot of traffic coming your way and it may result in great money making opportunity.
For e.g. cook.directory , trend.fyi , next-gen.info and exams.tips are related to areas which are applicable to a major chunk of Internet user base and may fetch lot of traffic for developed sites.

What is your take on it? Expert opinions are welcome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

If we build .DIRECTORY /.FYI /.INFO/.TIPS websites inline with popular demands then you may expect lot of traffic coming your way and it may result in great money making opportunity.....

POINT 1:
In your opinion, how they can have a lot of traffic?
What will be in your opinion the traffic source?
Search engines? If you think search engines I stop your enthusiasm immediately.
For search engines extensions don't matter.
In order to have traffic from SE you need quality content, great backlinks, and SEO.
So, the mentioned extensions, have not any benefit.
You talked about information sites, have an idea HOW COMPETITIVE is this niche? Do you think to master this niche ONLY with the combo domain names/extensions? Don't work in this way in 2020.
If you're talking about type-in traffic (ijn 2020???) I ask you: when is the last time that you search "cook directory" and have digited cook DOT direactoy in your address bar?
If you search "Insurance online" do you tipe insurance DOT online or you use google?
I guess you use google, you don't try to span the keywords you are looking for with a DOT and hope there is site there.

For e.g. cook.directory , trend.fyi , next-gen.info and exams.tips are related to areas which are applicable to a major chunk of Internet user base and may fetch lot of traffic for developed sites.
What is your take on it? Expert opinions are welcome.

POINT 2:
It seems you've discovered the "magic world" of newGTLDs, where you can span the keywords right and left of the dot.
Your mentioned examples are a great example of newG using.
But... When you'll0 discover that 99% of the keywords that fit with extensions are reserved from registry or priced 4/5 figure per year, you'll understand that it is not a sustainable investment model for domainers.
4/5 figure per year and 0 help in SE/traffic, the question that arises is: does it really make sense to spend all that money for nothing?

As you mentiond, your new new in the game

I am almost a beginner in the game .

I strongly suggest you to review all your ideas on how domains work in 2020, what are the main traffic sources and how they work.
Your conclusions could have been correct in 1996.
Not in 2020.
No offense, everybody have been started form the beginning.
Good luck with your domain journey.

•••
Thanks for your reply..It is really informative.. Just wanted to let you know that I am aligned to the fact that "Content is the King" on the internet and that is the reason I highlighted the importance of "developed site" in my statement. If you look at the sale of ".directory" in last couple of years, it is miniscule as compared to the other extensions. But then this means that we have a better probability of finding a good keyword with this extension. If you build a website with dot directory, will it be at par with lets say a dot com extension website in case it has good content and the SEO optimization and the comparison is extension agnostic. If the answer is yes then why is so much disparity which exist for this extension in the domain market?
The idea of initiating this thread is to understand the point of view of seasoned domainers like you.
Appreciate your guidance. Many Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back