IT.COM

Why experienced domainers say they don't handreg?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jaggs

Established Member
Impact
Just wondering
Seems many domainers say they never handreg, Why Not?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Age = percieved value.
There is a belief that if someone has been holding on a domain for years that it must have value and the someone already did the homework.

Regging your own domain. Means you have to do your own homework. And sometimes your homework can be 100% wrong lol

So much risk in hand reg.

But you can get lucky sometimes. Plus you factor in the occasional sale posted on DNJournal and here on NP about some guy making $xx,xxx off a handreg and now every gambler jumps in.

But in thee end. Past performance does not guarantee future success.

Of course there are some aged domains that expire and no one picks up at auction too.

So that holder for years just lost money.

They tried to sell it for all those years but no one bought .

So it's all a gamble really.

•••
Thanks for the info
I guess the risk is reggin a TM name?
im assuming, If you hand reg then buy and hold strategy would be more likely to profit, as a general rule, that is if you can kind of see where things are headed.

•••
it's very easy to check the trademark status before you reg, takes a minute or two to check the US and European, no more. (anyway it's the classes that you need to be checking)

the fact is there is very little out there to hand reg these days

•••
Experienced domainers already know about trademarks. Its just now getting to the point where the slim chance that a hand reg is going to be worth a lot isn't worth the time. Much better to find value in the secondary market - buy a name for $5K, sell it a year or two later for $10K. That beats the slim odds of hand regs any day.

•••
it's very easy to check the trademark status before you reg, takes a minute or two to check the US and European, no more. (anyway it's the classes that you need to be checking)

the fact is there is very little out there to hand reg these days

Yes thats why i was questioning the risk reply

anyway it's the classes that you need to be checking) ???? Classes

•••
Last edited:
•••
I'd disagree.

While no professional, I sold RIALoan.com & RIALoans for $2500/per name (both hand-reg'd at $8.25) and then, SuccessionLoan.com, SuccessionLoans.com for $3750/per name-(hand-reg's at the same cost.)

Both went to end-users. That's $12,500 in sales within 6 months from an investment of under $50. (Two names went to yr. 2 before sale.)

It helps if you focus on what you know-and in industries with deep financial pockets-where the dollar value of a lead is high.

•••
I'd disagree.

While no professional, I sold RIALoan.com & RIALoans for $2500/per name (both hand-reg'd at $8.25) and then, SuccessionLoan.com, SuccessionLoans.com for $3750/per name-(hand-reg's at the same cost.)

Both went to end-users. That's $12,500 in sales within 6 months from an investment of under $50. (Two names went to yr. 2 before sale.)

It helps if you focus on what you know-and in industries with deep financial pockets-where the dollar value of a lead is high.

Nice sales, this year?

•••
I'd disagree.

Sorry BMW should have paid attention on time frame

Just seems like some are not trusting their own imagination
All names were handregs at one time.

•••
There is a belief that if someone has been holding on a domain for years that it must have value and the someone already did the homework.

Sorry but there is no such belief among experienced domain investors. Has never been and will never be. IMO.

•••
RIALoan.com and RIALoans.com sold 11/2016. SuccessionLoan.com and SuccessionLoans.com sold 11/2017.

(Now that I think of it, that may be when marketing budgets for the coming year get allocated.)

•••
My time is limited, unfortunately. I would like to read some tech news of financial news sometime and to sit and to get myself a nice brainstorm, to invent some names and to register them. But i hardly have time for my other existing projects, so i prefer to just look in droplists, which i do daily anyway.

•••
Many experienced domainers are hand registering names.
Many experienced domainers are telling to newbies to not hand registering names. This is another story, as well as a very good advice.

•••
•••
Sorry but there is no such belief among experienced domain investors. Has never been and will never be. IMO.

Then why experienced domainers buy aged domains?

•••
I'd disagree.

That plus not be greedy. I see you went low $3-$4000.

This is something I still need to perfect. I have changed my pricing already.

•••
I hardly handreg anymore. When I do, it's usually because I intend to develop the name.
I have simply become more selective, at auctions too.

•••
And they go to aftermarket to buy names that were previously handreg. What's the difference? Paying for been lazy to brainstorm?

Last edited:
•••
Then why experienced domainers buy aged domains?

What I meant was that there's a difference between a good aged domain and just aged domain. No one should be paying any extra for age alone, it's the name itself that counts IMO. And more than that, one should't rely on other people's research on a domain.

And to answer to your question: it's easier to find quality domains in auctions etc. than it is to mine 'em.

•••
handreg are quite risky, but for some people $10 is not that risky! as long you can control yourself! I am sure you can make nice profit! and if I were you, I will not do handreg!:xf.grin: but still I do handreg, or GD closeout!

handreg is not for everyone! :xf.grin:,

•••
Depends on the buyers habits, I look at expired lists often and most decent domains go to auction. I do have a "check later" list of domains I some times register from.

•••
I think some people have a knack for identifying good domains whether hand reg or aftermarket.

If you invest in emerging trends, or gamble on future trends, identifying unregistered domains available for registration can be good. But does take some skill.

Overall, I believe through trial and error, a domain investor should find their best niche. There are many.

"Acquire" domains that fit both long and short term investment goals.

•••
i only hand reg domains

i dont handreg a domain from a registrar based on price i but i handreg a domain from a registrar based on quality of service they provide

My interest is emerging vehicle technology and tech concept ideas and legal sector trends etc

So as these are my interests i have ideas within these sectors and simply but the .com of my ideas in these sectors as and when i have the idea that results in me handregging a domain name to sit on for a while and think the concept through etc

•••
Just wondering
Seems many domainers say they never handreg, Why Not?
Not sure where you read that but it's 100% not true. Those that say they don't are in the closet. You would be really stupid not to take a few flyers every now and then. $8 turns into $2,000 pretty easily sometimes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back