IT.COM

Why .eu will be the biggest failure in history.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Man anyone is so on the wrong road if you think .eu will be anything but a big failure.

For instance,
.de is the prime extension for germany and most businesses in germany operate IN GERMANY so all they are interested in is .de and MAYBE .com if .de is taken.

If a german business operates internationally all they want is the .de and the.com

Same applies for any other european country as they all have their well-established own county codes extensions.

Much like US users are used to typein .com or as a business don't want anything else than .com and maybe .net it's the same in each individual country.

Again and again and again:

No matter how much some speculators wish the situation was different, it's just a big fat FACT that we europeans (unless it's about politics, mainly when it comes to US vs. Europe) don't consider us to be europeans but germans, brits, french or whatever.

There is so absolutely no demand or need for .eu by endusers it's absolutely nonsense to speculate on .eu domains.

.eu will be a bigger failure than .biz and .info combined,
i even predict .la will be more of a success than .eu.

Remember my words - the only .eu names you will be able to resell after you registered them will be the ones another reseller will buy from you but i predict ZERO sales to endusers.

And then, after like 6 months you will realize it was just another bubble.

Or hold on for like 10 years in *hopes* that someday there will be something like 1 country called Europe and all people living there will identify with .eu.

Until that happens, have fun with the .eu renewal fees.

It's funny how some people still insist on the success of .eu although they don't even live in an european country but still believe things would be the same here like Europe was just something like the USA (a big country with different states) when in fact Europe is just a pot with with different countries in it, all having thier very own national identity, culture and so on.
Like, for most spanish people germany is so much different from their own country and culture like it is for most US folk when they think of "Europe".

That's the most common misconception by US folks i guess: to think there is such a thing like a country called Europe - there plain isn't.

We always laugh when someone says "I'm going to Europe for vacation" because for us it's like "Uh which COUNTRY to you go to then ? " For us it sounds like as if someone would say "I'm going to Asia for vacation" or "I'm going to planet earth for vacation".

And no, i'm not against the EU or anything, this comment isn't meant in any poitical way either - it's just about what the FACTS are in REALITY.

So, to conclude in a scientific appropriate manner lemme say this:

.eu is WISHFUL THINKING

Period.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah like what is being said right now on the radio show, it is always best to invest in your own country and even to me it seems like a very bad idea and its just another desperate idea from money-hungry registrars.

•••
I will be interested to see if the Asians will have the same arguments (as said by Rob) if .asia is ever released..

Hehehe,
Flora.

•••
do you realize, the history here? Our generation may never see how this turns out. We are at such an infant stage in the history of domains and TLD's. .eu is just being released, it may be ten years before we know what to do with it or how to take advantage of all these new tld's. Some people are not a big fan of the all these TLD's while I am big supporter of most. I don't it matters much what we think, I think it's going to happen anyway. More and more, the world is big place and it can support all of these TLD's and the niches they fill. I would just love to zoom ahead 20 years and see what happens when the dust settles. Cheers

•••
Yeah true and while myself I am just starting with domains I am 14 and I could go ahead 20 years and say wow everyone thought .eu was horrible but now it is a huge hit.

•••
Can someone tell me some Good places to pre-reg these domain names

Thanks

- Jiblob

•••
IMHO: .eu will be jumped on with extreme fervour..don't kid yourself thinking they won't...there will be absolute mayhem to get these things!!

Can't wait!!

•••
I think you forgot that europe has its own constitution now and all the major companyes are operating now in all europe. IMO this will not be a big success but not a failure, and i think that in time .eu will go over the cctlds. Another good point is that almost all the countryes in the EU have restrictions in domain regs, like .es ..... you cant register dictionary words only yourcompany yourname yourcompany-product and as all the good .com names are taken this will be a second choice.

Cheers

•••
I dont think .eu will have much value at all...

Way way too many language barriers...

Over 100 languages spoken in Europe as a whole!

•••
•••
I think its a good idea, and I used to work with a company (UK) that done business with countries from all over the EU and there is a lot of companies like that so the .eu would especialy be good for businesses like this. Although us Europeans are diffrent in many ways we also share quite alot in common e.g. fighting each other in wars, and playing football lol. The language barrier shouldnt be a problem infact could be in favour because, say a company was called something in English, but there was a german, spansih and french company called that (but in their own language) then they have the chance to own the .eu domain for their company (if you get what I mean).

All though I am in favour of the .eu domain I still think the .co.uk, .de etc... ae better for this type of stuff, yeh the .com would be even better but finding a decent .com now day is hard so instead alot of businesses will just choose the 2nd best option a .co.uk but soon they will have a .eu to choose from.

I am now starting to look forward to the .world haha

•••
I dont think it will be a big failure. European Union nations have a sense of alliance or community, the EU is already an evidence of it. DotEU will succeed.

•••
I'm from the US and I really like the .eu extension I find it comparable to .us and .in which I also like. It really has great potential since it's a whole continent as opposed to just one country (which someone mentioned it as being a negative, but I think it's a positive).

•••
While no registrars are officially approved,
some registrars are allowing users to register for the eu lottery
on the assumption that they will get approval.
Six of thoses registrars are listed here:

http://www.html.us/domains.htm

•••
even thow people may want to stick to there countrey coads there is still a hell of alot of companeys that opperate in the EU. i imagen it would be like having .nsw or .act here in australia. everyone would also want the .au.

also why im here. is there going to be one for each contenent. because we allready have .us .au and now .eu

QBert

•••
.eu? And what's next? More trademark & Brand issues and lower domain prices for us.

No offense, but my very personal opinion as an internet player since the early 1990's:
Away with all other extensions!
Maybe, .aero etc. could stay, because they also reflect standing etc. and very specific conditions must be met to get them.
.com was "the" worldwide commercial extension.
.net was "the" worldwide internet, radio & tv-related extension.
.org was "the" worldwide not-for-profit extension.
If Your business had one of these, it was expected to be a BIG role player.
All other tld's have been created to keep up sales for registrars, not for aftermarket players.
Country codes reflect no price, quality, standing, reliability, whatever.
.com, .net and .org neither, but people are likely to expect it. That's why those are still the most expensive. Anybody earning a living with other extensions has my respect, but I don't buy or sell anything else than .com, .net and .org.

•••
beatz said:
Man anyone is so on the wrong road if you think .eu will be anything but a big failure.

For instance,
.de is the prime extension for germany and most businesses in germany operate IN GERMANY so all they are interested in is .de and MAYBE .com if .de is taken.

If a german business operates internationally all they want is the .de and the.com

Same applies for any other european country as they all have their well-established own county codes extensions..

Can you in all honesty and without googling tell me all 25 country code extensions of the countries that make up the EU???????
I am well above average in Geography, and I can not tell the 25 cc.
It is like the states having their own extensions .fl/.ca (for California) etc..., wouldnt that be ridiculous?
Sure For Germany, the UK, and a few other countries, it is better to stick to their own ccTLD, but for many other countries, it makes it easier to operate in this market...

•••
seeker said:
Can you in all honesty and without googling tell me all 25 country code extensions of the countries that make up the EU???????
I am well above average in Geography, and I can not tell the 25 cc.
Bite me. :p

United Kingdom - .uk (it's not .co.uk, just so that you know)
Germany - .de
France - .fr
Spain - .es
Portugal - .pt
Italy - .it
Poland - .pl
Sweden - .se
Finland - .fi
Estonia - .ee
Latvia - .lv
Lithuania - .lt
Luxemburg - .lu
Belgium - .be
Netherlands - .nl
Czech Republic - .cz
Slovakia - .sk
Cyprus - .cy
Malta - .mt
Greece - .gr
Hungary - .hu
Austria - .at
Denmark - .dk
Ireland - .ie

And some exceptions, but which can be concidered to be EU...

Greenland - .gl
Faroe Islands - .fo
Jersey - .je
Guernsey - .gg
Gibraltar - .gi

I hope I got them all right. :)

•••
I can use google as good as the next guy as well :)

•••
•••
Turkey is not yet part of the EU it is expected to join in about 2 years time. Currently their economy is being sorted out.

The UK is .co.uk and not .uk, .uk does not exist.

•••
The earliest expected entry time for Turkey is in 12-15 years. However, it is not sure that it will join becaue of resistance by nations like the UK, France, Germany etc... who are worried about immigration.

•••
Like any extension there are pros and cons, however, the .eu extension seems to have more pros than cons to me. It will be a very popular biz extenions IMO

•••
Think about all the typos you can buy up for .edu's
Find .edu's and buy the same domain in .eu

•••
I think that there are already too many top level domains, starting to add them for continents if just over the top. Next they have something like .asia, .sa, .na, .af, etc. It is just silly in my opinion.

•••
seeker said:
The earliest expected entry time for Turkey is in 12-15 years. However, it is not sure that it will join becaue of resistance by nations like the UK, France, Germany etc... who are worried about immigration.
Aren't half of all Turks already living in these countries?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back