NameSilo

Why .eu will be the biggest failure in history.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Man anyone is so on the wrong road if you think .eu will be anything but a big failure.

For instance,
.de is the prime extension for germany and most businesses in germany operate IN GERMANY so all they are interested in is .de and MAYBE .com if .de is taken.

If a german business operates internationally all they want is the .de and the.com

Same applies for any other european country as they all have their well-established own county codes extensions.

Much like US users are used to typein .com or as a business don't want anything else than .com and maybe .net it's the same in each individual country.

Again and again and again:

No matter how much some speculators wish the situation was different, it's just a big fat FACT that we europeans (unless it's about politics, mainly when it comes to US vs. Europe) don't consider us to be europeans but germans, brits, french or whatever.

There is so absolutely no demand or need for .eu by endusers it's absolutely nonsense to speculate on .eu domains.

.eu will be a bigger failure than .biz and .info combined,
i even predict .la will be more of a success than .eu.

Remember my words - the only .eu names you will be able to resell after you registered them will be the ones another reseller will buy from you but i predict ZERO sales to endusers.

And then, after like 6 months you will realize it was just another bubble.

Or hold on for like 10 years in *hopes* that someday there will be something like 1 country called Europe and all people living there will identify with .eu.

Until that happens, have fun with the .eu renewal fees.

It's funny how some people still insist on the success of .eu although they don't even live in an european country but still believe things would be the same here like Europe was just something like the USA (a big country with different states) when in fact Europe is just a pot with with different countries in it, all having thier very own national identity, culture and so on.
Like, for most spanish people germany is so much different from their own country and culture like it is for most US folk when they think of "Europe".

That's the most common misconception by US folks i guess: to think there is such a thing like a country called Europe - there plain isn't.

We always laugh when someone says "I'm going to Europe for vacation" because for us it's like "Uh which COUNTRY to you go to then ? " For us it sounds like as if someone would say "I'm going to Asia for vacation" or "I'm going to planet earth for vacation".

And no, i'm not against the EU or anything, this comment isn't meant in any poitical way either - it's just about what the FACTS are in REALITY.

So, to conclude in a scientific appropriate manner lemme say this:

.eu is WISHFUL THINKING

Period.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.nu... i think it is for great britain

•••
really? mmh.. i thought .co.uk.. i'm confused lol

•••
um it also could be that they are for sweden danmark or something like that ;) but i think i heard they are for great britain

achso der php heini hat so erklärungen mal gucken gehn...

•••
lol .ag is antigua and barbuda [whatever..] and .nu is niue.. weird!?

•••
•••
..sounds like a 50x50 metres island in the south pacific -lol- i don't know.. search google lol

•••
hehe maybe it's a scandinavic (?) country

•••
I don't mean to be anti-US but I am guessing that most people posting in this thread are from the US, so what most people are saying here, is, that country specific domains are crap and the whole world should stick with .com .net and .org? right? What a rediculous notion!
.info a failure? I suggest you rethink that, I would say that its a success. In many places in europe its becoming more widely used than .net

•••
I think your being just a little to pesimist.
I don't think It will be a blow but some sites will want this .eu identity.

•••
btw how the hell could .nu be for the UK? ;) .co.uk is for the UK

•••
Why dig up an almost two year old thread?? :)
Last post:
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM

•••
hehe not a clue, but I didn't really dig it up, when I was posting there was a related threads part below and I just clicked on one of the threads there.

•••
Redleg said:
Why dig up an almost two year old thread?? :)
Last post:
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM

I noticed that too after seeing one of my own posts here, but the topic is still very appropriate.. perhaps more so now as we approach a possible .EU launch in the near future.

•••
I agree, although there does seem to be some strange posts in this topic....

•••
I think you are wrong, it's not just a continent but a community, part of our identity, if the eu fails, .eu fails .

•••
Zeeble said:
I don't mean to be anti-US but I am guessing that most people posting in this thread are from the US, so what most people are saying here, is, that country specific domains are crap and the whole world should stick with .com .net and .org? right? What a rediculous notion!
.info a failure? I suggest you rethink that, I would say that its a success. In many places in europe its becoming more widely used than .net

one of the main reasons net was not a failure was "free domain days" at dotster.

I wouldnt be surprised if info seems to be gaining speed in europe, more of these domain names are now showing up in se's because they have now been indexed and optimized, just because there are more of them. :bah:

•••
i would be happy if what you say becomes true and i get hold of
s*x.eu, business.eu, money.eu, finance.eu,xxx.eu, f*ck.eu, gamble.eu and some more.

;)

•••
You guys only dont like it coz your probably living outside the EU :P

I think that these domains will be a good chance for new memorable domains.

Not only that, the extension is Short so I guess it instantly has one over the .INFO domains

.EU = Good Idea

•••
I agree with the above post. I do think that it will be a success because many europeans are now beginning to accept that they are part of europe.

•••
suthra said:
i would be happy if what you say becomes true and i get hold of
s*x.eu, business.eu, money.eu, finance.eu,xxx.eu, f*ck.eu, gamble.eu and some more.

;)

Thankyou Suthra! Those kinds of domains:

1. Actually Look Good
2. Sound Good
3. And Could Possibly be worth loads later on;

I will certainly be buying some and saving them.... Im beginning to fell that the people on the forum are pretending that they are not going to work, simply because they want to register them ;) if you know what i mean

Zeeble said:
I agree with the above post. I do think that it will be a success because many europeans are now beginning to accept that they are part of europe.

The EU is also Contantly growing...

Could anyone tell me where these domains will be avaliable from... and when?

Sorry for double posting, But I have to ask....

We always laugh when someone says "I'm going to Europe for vacation" because for us it's like "Uh which COUNTRY to you go to then ? " For us it sounds like as if someone would say "I'm going to Asia for vacation" or "I'm going to planet earth for vacation".

What the heck does this have to do with .EU Domains...

Last edited:
•••
I am actually looking forward to the new .eu launch, though it might take sometime before we see "realistic results" about the successful of .eu.

Flora.

•••
.EU could do well will be interesting to see if people abando their country codes and .net and .info for .eu . I never understand the look good sound good routine People who own .cc think it looks good sounds good, .in I mean what's better than "being in" .tv most popular recognizable two letter combo In the world. that is not what will make it happen it will be that Europe is a highly technological, industrialized region should work out well IMO

•••
I can see the .eu domain be widely used, but mostly for business and travel terms

•••
•••
beatz said:
No matter how much some speculators wish the situation was different, it's just a big fat FACT that we europeans (unless it's about politics, mainly when it comes to US vs. Europe) don't consider us to be europeans but germans, brits, french or whatever.

beatz said:

Both very true and WELL SAID!!

Being a Brit I hate being called European. We are nothing like for example Italians or Germans!

Its like saying all countries in Asia are the same or that people from the USA are basically like those from Brazil!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back