IT.COM

information Why Domain Name Investors Are Buying Up NFTs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
There's a reason domain name investors are flocking to NFTs. And one industry veteran says it's still early days for unlocking NFT investment value.

Andrew Miller is CEO of ATM Holdings, and has invested in and advised some of the highest-value domain name transactions on record, including recent deals for Home.com, Candy.com, and Universal.com. He founded CreditCards.com and InsuranceQuotes.com, both successful exits.

He started investing in NFTs in 2021, and acquired his first Bored Ape in August.

Untitled.jpg

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can go on and rum-punch hard the B-ape vocals*, rather I'm going to watch ... Disney+

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••

It is stuff like this why it is impossible to take much of this seriously. There is no way to spin that in any way that is not complete nonsense.

Brad

Yes there’s a PET ROCK NFT project !

No I don’t believe this pic the MrWhale shared that you shared happen…I think his trolling most the gullible people …..::hence he didn’t not share the sales link on rarible or OpenSea, and I can’t find it either ( If you can find and share props to you and please do!) But dude got serious free organic post engagement out of it 😂 smh 🤦🏻‍♂️

and even if it did…so what that’s the perfect example of a your FLEX statement …which some do, who cares I mean some people show there money off in stupid foolish ways….even this is true, it’s just in a NFT CRYTO way….point is how about instead of going for the jabs, ….try in figure out what makes the engine run…might get you a little more than some likes and laughs on a forum 👍🏻

The Depth of NFTs and what’s happen is not one thing, not just negative and not just positive it’s vast , and you can’t hammer it down to,
Scam, Money Laundering, that’s it done…lol no, the scale of those are bigger yes, but that’s because crypto had the largest concentration of liquid wealth, the worlds ever seen…of course it’s going to attract the bad actors…that doesn’t change the fact the that’s not way the tech was designed nore it’s only function. Uhh….eventually I’m just gonna let everyone think what they want and save me time…typing gets old and I got better things to focus on.

Yes Disney plus sounds like a great channel to educate yourself on ..enjoy that!

Last edited:
•••
@Lox

we can share screenshots all day wether positive or negative…thing is your only out here blasting negative news ..and leaving out all the positives

I could sit here and the same thing with domains and the community here if I wanted, between the scammers, the scandals, the stolen domains and more…

Keep digging , your just throwing mud around,till you get down to the diamonds.

it’s easier that way ..I know

I know someone said I think Brad? my example on REAL cards was flawed that they are real tangleble….YES …but I’m not the only person with a different view….EVERY SPORTS CARD IS STILL JUST A PIECE OF …”ARTY DOILED UP”

#%^<ing CARDBOARD lol

4D436BA6-4D70-420E-9F34-65A439D89ABB.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
@Lox

we can share screenshots all day wether positive or negative…thing is your only out here blasting negative news ..and leaving out all the positives

I could sit here and the same thing with domains and the community here if I wanted, between the scammers, the scandals, the stolen domains and more…

I know someone said I think Brad? my example on REAL cards was flawed that they are real tangleble….YES …but I’m not the only person with a different view….EVERY SPORTS CARD IS STILL JUST A PIECE OF …”ARTY DOILED UP”

#%^<ing CARDBOARD lol

Show attachment 198318

I don't really deal in the modern sports card market, mainly vintage stuff. I have found that things that became collectible organically over time tend to hold their value better than things that are designed to be collectible.

It comes down to actual scarcity vs modern scarcity. There is no limit to how many 1/1 cards you can make. There is a finite limit of how many vintage cards exist, especially in good condition.

I also think the sports card and collectibles market is in a massive bubble at the moment also. Lots of alternate investments seem to be.

This is especially true with graded sports cards. People put way too much stock into other people's opinion when it comes to grade.

I bought a psa 8 Rickey Henderson rookie last year. Cracked it out of the case and resubmitted and it came back a psa 9. The value went from $350 to $2,500 overnight for the same card, because of the opinion of one party. That is just silly and shows how arbitrary grading is.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
What are your thoughts on Play to earn @DomainBarracksRob ?

Best informational review detailed self review I’ve seen is here (and it’s a few months old )
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...y_to_earn_crypto_and_nfts_my_experience_part/

Be sure to read it, more then I could say save me listing/ explaining half of it.(long)

Will say I know one person who did and said play to earn is right that you got to earn it, as in it wasn’t easy and lots of hours. (This one just tone game) there are several some cost some free:

Overall I think in next 2-3 years this genre will explode into muti billion industry. Alongside esports and Big Household gaming companies…this is a HUGE incentive for people to play their games and use their products.

Once fortnite or blizzard start dropping NFTs in Loot Creates in live action games…..that’s going to be all she wrote, again we are in year 2021 so makes since we are due and on track a mass Centennial technology advancement that will effect all sectors in tech , and it’s happen right now! (this is barely the beginning)

Last edited:
•••
I don't really deal in the modern sports card market, mainly vintage stuff. I have found that things that became collectible organically over time tend to hold their value better than things that are designed to be collectible.

It comes down to actual scarcity vs modern scarcity. There is no limit to how many 1/1 cards you can make. There is a finite limit of how many vintage cards exist, especially in good condition.

I also think the sports card and collectibles market is in a massive bubble at the moment also. Lots of alternate investments seem to be.

This is especially true with graded sports cards. People put way too much stock into other people's opinion when it comes to grade.

I bought a psa 8 Rickey Henderson rookie last year. Cracked it out of the case and resubmitted and it came back a psa 9. The value went from $350 to $2,500 overnight for the same card, because of the opinion of one party. That is just silly and shows how arbitrary grading is.

Brad

Yes BECKETT across a card sometimes is worth more than the card lol funny just thought how we are talking about what makes things valuable e or gives them value…now are they paying for the card or the Name and ink printed across plastic case or SLABS as like to call them.

Gets expensive just to grade, why I’ve told other not to pay for grade if cards worth under $500, as sometime it can go opposite when they screw the rating and I’ve seen it happen. I’ve seen slabs cracked just to get the vaule back, due to the psa rating

•••
Yes BECKETT across a card sometimes is worth more than the card lol funny just thought how we are talking about what makes things valuable e or gives them value…now are they paying for the card or the Name and ink printed across plastic case or SLABS as like to call them.

Gets expensive just to grade, why I’ve told other not to pay for grade if cards worth under $500, as sometime it can go opposite when they screw the rating and I’ve seen it happen. I’ve seen slabs cracked just to get the vaule back, due to the psa rating

The graded video game market is another issue. It is something that recently popped up and there has been a lot of evidence of inside shill bidding, and pump and dump schemes.

When it comes to sports cards, I buy the card not the grade. Grading is way too subjective.
On some cards the difference in one grade can be tens of thousands (or more) for the same card, depending on the opinion of one random grader that day.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
The graded video game market is another issue. It is something that recently popped up and there has been a lot of evidence of inside shill bidding, and pump and dump schemes.

When it comes to sports cards, I buy the card not the grade. Grading is way too subjective.
On some cards the difference in one grade can be tens of thousands (or more) for the same card, depending on the opinion of one random grader that day.

Brad
There's a great video on YouTube by Karl Jobst about the video game collisions.

•••
@Lox

#%^<ing CARDBOARD lol

Show attachment 198318

... a half gigabyte. I care about the NFT protocol and possibilities.

But Opensea company: Scam, TM infringement, IP (someone else's work), obvious washing etc accommodation are considered "reasonable".

I'm not nostalgia nerd using a 56k modem in 2021. Holding coins worth private jet but I'm not going to swim when "The Open Sea is Full of Medusas" incl. B-Ape *Vocals.

And the next big thing @ Opensea is to sell a dream, a puff (no IP & TM to stop them) People WILL lose a big fat $lice of bread.

(btw. they don't have $ to acquire opensea.com or ?)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
You know, I have missed out on so many opportunities over the years, mostly because I am a little skeptical. But, I just think a lot of this is nonsense.

sure, I will grant you there is a legitimate play in some of this. But I think a LOT of people are going to lose money during these early years.

Just a reference to the first recorded speculative bubble in history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

maybe someone needs to start selling Dutch Tulip NFTs.

•••
•••
All bubbles are bubbles after all. Who knows....

•••
I don't get it honestly. It seems like NFT's are some type of weird flex, like showing you have the money to spend on what amounts to nonsense really.

We will see if the artificial scarcity holds up when it comes to endless new NFT coming out, or if they are replaced in the coolness factor.

Brad

Pump and dump, same people.

•••
Yeah tax aside, there are so many things about Crypto I don’t understand and NFT’s confuse the hell out of me, it all just seems crazy to me.

Think of a NFT as valid certificate of authenticity.

You can use it to sign contracts, verify contracts, etc.

Collectibles can have a NFT attached to prove they are the original. An autograph from Ringo Star, baseball card, etc. Instantly verifiable. Limited editions can each have their own NFT.

Is the Gucci real?? Check the NFT.

Are computer generated jpgs' of apes and their dogs going to be valuable in two years? I doubt it.

Crypto (more so BitCoin), whilst I don’t think it’s ever going to be as big as some people believe (governments throughout the world won’t allow it to be), I do believe it has a future but I don’t believe in NFT’s long term future.

Its great people can make money on all that, but from my perspective, if you don’t understand something or don’t believe in it, it’s best staying away.

•••
For everyone here

YES

There is tons of trash art nft and nft artist ..ALSO..

There is ALSO several GREAT Artist, Artwork, Projects & communities if you know where to look

That being said...it is more about the collectible aspect....

MOST people here and everywhere are over looking the COLLECTIBLE TRADING GAMES aspect of it!

If you EVER played or collected Pokemon or Magic The Gathering MTG? ( both this trading card games have cards that sell for hundreds of thousands ) MTG started selling DIGITAL version of their cards on their Online Gaming platform years ago(breakthrough no one picked up on)...you can't move those any where, they stay on the platform. They are not TOKENS not NFTS and people spend Thousands there...

Good analogy, thanks.

•••
Think of a NFT as valid certificate of authenticity.

You can use it to sign contracts, verify contracts, etc.

Collectibles can have a NFT attached to prove they are the original. An autograph from Ringo Star, baseball card, etc. Instantly verifiable. Limited editions can each have their own NFT.

Is the Gucci real?? Check the NFT.

Are computer generated jpgs' of apes and their dogs going to be valuable in two years? I doubt it.

I get that. Someone above posted about NFT music, that sounds quite interesting to me. I can see how that could be potentially a good investment if you buy the rights to some music sung by an upcoming singer or buy the rights to music writen by the Ed Sheeran of tomorrow, how it can be a good investment and potentially valuable (if you strike lucky).

But as you say, computer generated jpgs of apes or images that look like they have been drawn on MSPaint, i can't see any value in it.

Last edited:
•••
You know, I have missed out on so many opportunities over the years, mostly because I am a little skeptical. But, I just think a lot of this is nonsense.

sure, I will grant you there is a legitimate play in some of this. But I think a LOT of people are going to lose money during these early years.

Just a reference to the first recorded speculative bubble in history:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

maybe someone needs to start selling Dutch Tulip NFTs.

Except it really didn't happen, https://www.history.com/news/tulip-mania-financial-crash-holland

Last edited:
•••
•••
I get that. Someone above posted about NFT music, that sounds quite interesting to me. I can see how that could be potentially a good investment if you buy the rights to some music sung by an upcoming singer or buy the rights to music writen by the Ed Sheeran of tomorrow, how it can be a good investment and potentially valuable (if you strike lucky).

But as you say, computer generated jpgs of apes or images that look like they have been drawn on MSPaint, i can't see any value in it.

As bmugford pointed out, unless I'm missing something, the value of the NFT is only as good as the exchange it's registered on.

•••

The bubble happened but it didn't crash the economy. Reading the story, the analogy is even better.
--

... 17th-century manuscript data from public notaries, small claims courts, wills and more. And what Goldgar found wasn’t an irrational and widespread tulip craze, but a relatively small and short-lived market for an exotic luxury.

In the mid-1600s, the Dutch enjoyed a period of unmatched wealth and prosperity. Newly independent from Spain, Dutch merchants grew rich on trade through the Dutch East India Company. With money to spend, art and exotica became fashionable collectors items. That’s how the Dutch became fascinated with rare “broken” tulips, bulbs that produced striped and speckled flowers.

First these prized tulips were bought as showy display pieces, but it didn’t take long for tulip trading to become a market of its own.

“I found six examples of companies that were set up to sell tulips,” says Goldgar, “so people were quickly jumping on the bandwagon to take advantage of something which was a desired commodity.”

•••
There are a few things that play into it, that are unique. I would venture to guess that most early adopters to NFTs were in Crypto for a long time, they own things like BTC, ETH even ADA for pennies maybe fraction of a penny.

So if you have realized those gains and bought some NFTs early who cares what happens two years from now? You have made an absolute fortune, the Punks I believe were 10,000 NFTs for free at the start, if I own 1 (I don't) and I can now make $150,000 I don't care what anyone in the world thinks, it's a different story if I am trying to get newcomers to buy and tell them lies that these things are going to $1,000,000.

But all these early adopters have had the ability to take all money off the table and a substantial profit that whatever happens later doesn't matter. I remember people talking shit about Bitcoin at $20 a coin, anyone who got talked out of dabbling by listening to one of those people, lost out on life changing money at that entry price.

Like anything you should never be all in unless you just have an all or nothing mentality.

The thing now for those learning and wanting to get in, is they need to spend real money to get involved, if I want an ape I really need to believe that they are going to hold value or like
@bmugford talks about hope the greater fool theory works.

But like Brad mentioned about Jackson Pollock and he did not see value. Many think the same of Apes and Punks but will apes and punks be seen as the first real movers in the space and always hold value, like Pollock did in action painting/ Abstract expressionism.

Here is a good blurb on Pollock

Why is it worth so much?

Pollock and other contemporary artists are sometimes criticized outside of the art world for creating paintings that, to some, look like a 5-year-old’s drawing.

“You spent money on that?” Alfonso A. Ossorio’s partner Ted Dragon allegedly said after Ossorio bought “No. 5” for $1,500 in 1949. Today, it’s worth over $180 million.

Hoone admits that Pollock’s art isn’t for everyone.

“It’s hard for people to see the value in something that is so abstract,” he said. But the prices are based on demand: “It’s worth a lot of money because a lot of people want it.”

Hoone also brushed off skeptics' claims a child could create the same art. “The squiggly lines are very intentional and the use of color and when to use color here and when to use color there," he said. If someone else makes something similar "does that mean it’s just as good as the original? Probably not.”

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/...nd-its-sale-at-an-auction-so-significant.html

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back