Dynadot

information Why Domain Name Investors Are Buying Up NFTs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
There's a reason domain name investors are flocking to NFTs. And one industry veteran says it's still early days for unlocking NFT investment value.

Andrew Miller is CEO of ATM Holdings, and has invested in and advised some of the highest-value domain name transactions on record, including recent deals for Home.com, Candy.com, and Universal.com. He founded CreditCards.com and InsuranceQuotes.com, both successful exits.

He started investing in NFTs in 2021, and acquired his first Bored Ape in August.

Untitled.jpg

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Think it's no more than a passing fad. Why would anyone invest in something that is umlimited and has no intrinsic value?
I'll stick to precious metals, dividend shares and good .com domains.

•••
pack it up everyone - the most successful domainers/brokers like andy booth & drew rosener are wrong, tim sweeney is a n00b for building a metaverse, and visa and jay z are plebs for buying a punk.

it's all a scam. back to getting $100 domain offers

Last edited:
•••
pack it up everyone - the most successful domainers/brokers like andy booth & drew rosener are wrong, tim sweeney is a n00b for building a metaverse, and visa and jay z are plebs for buying a punk.

it's all a scam. back to getting $100 domain offers

Just because these people are experts at selling domain names, doesn’t mean they are experts at selling digital images/art, many of the most successful people on earth investments fail, a lot of these people put eggs in various different baskets and only 1 hatches that makes them.

Truth is I think a lot of these guys can make money (and I hope they do), the key to the current NFT craze is knowing when to stop and cash out.

Last edited:
•••
doesn’t mean they are great at selling art

again, these collectibles aren't art, different ball game - the point is that NFT's aren't new or some temporary phase (I've been involved since 2019).

the audacity of people fudding an industry centered around something they have no real knowledge of is unbelievable cope, proper dunning kruger vibes on these threads.

Last edited:
•••
I just recently acquired ‘CryptoKitties.org’ because I see NFTs as having tremendous upwards growth in the following years. Once Ethereum gas fees come down I think they will skyrocket in popularity.

•••
again, these collectibles aren't art, different ball game - the point is that NFT's aren't new or some temporary phase (I've been involved since 2019).

the audacity of people fudding an industry centered around something they have no real knowledge of is unbelievable cope.

It seems like some people involved in this space have serious attitude problems. I have seen this from several others involved, including some well known domain investors with some of their comments.

Look, not everyone is going to believe in this stuff. When people are not convinced they are labeled as "haters" or wanting to see people fail.

At the same time this stuff has many aspects of a bubble or mania that has happened in the past countless times.

You do your thing.

You are not going to be able to convince some people that little images that are easily copyable are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You are not going to be able to convince some people that little images that are easily copyable are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

narrowing down a multi-billion industry into a small segment of collectibles shows you still haven't done the bare minimum research needed to form an informed opinion on the space - that is the point & a common theme in these threads.

some of those projects certainly won't have value, but neither will many domains in the future. the point is that this is a mainstream industry now that will continue to grow and eat massively into other spaces, regardless of whether or not you get involved.

I've noticed this forum becoming less & less active, more toxic & even a little neo-luddite, probably feeds into the above.

Last edited:
•••
narrowing down a multi-billion industry into a small segment of collectibles shows you still haven't done the bare minimum research needed to form an informed opinion on the space - that is the point & a common theme in these threads.

some of those projects certainly won't have value, but neither will many domains in the future. the point is that this is a mainstream industry now that will continue to grow and eat into other spaces, regardless of whether or not you get involved.

The discussion has really been about the bored ape, punks, and other "artwork" more than anything here. That is what most people are referring to here.

I am well aware there are other potential better uses for NFT, but I have to say this is the type of response I expected.

Because I am not a major proponent, it must be because I just don't know enough.

It is a common theme that there is some type of butthurt when believers are not able to convince others. It must just be their lack of knowledge, education, or hating to see other people do well.

I mean I get it, the entire house of cards would collapse without new believers putting more money into it. Other uses aside, the "artwork" market is built on the greater fool theory. Many people can still make money on that though.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Because I am not a major supporter, I must not know enough.

It is a common theme that there is some type of butthurt when believers are not able to convince others. It must just be their lack of knowledge, education, or hating to see other people to well.

you reduced an entire industry to some ape jpg's. either it's a bad faith argument or a lack of knowledge.

I mean I get it, the entire house of cards would collapse without new believers putting more money into it.

bad faith it is. maximum cope over the next few years

Last edited:
•••
you reduced an entire industry to some ape jpg's. either it's a bad faith argument or a lack of knowledge.

bad faith it is. maximum cope over the next few years

Your comments are rather childish. "Cope". What a classic.
Another classic I saw was "have fun staying poor."

You know it is comments like that, that are not only not going to convince others, it just discredits the people saying them and makes them look bad.

I just don't understand why so many NFT proponents get so upset when they are not able to convince others of the intrinsic value of some little image that anyone can easily copy.

I don't get upset when I can't convince someone of the value of a great domain. Why do NFT proponents get so upset?

Brad

Last edited:
•••

have never said that in my life? literally come from a poor background so not sure why you would insinuate I said that.

I don't get upset when I can't convince someone of the value of a great domain. Why do NFT proponents get so upset?

no one is upset. there are many valid criticisms of some types of NFT's but incomplete opinions need to be challenged - especially if it stops others from exploring or doing their own research.

it isn't some niche area anymore with some anonymous crypto users anymore; there is no possible way to dismiss the effect it is going to have on the digital landscape.

Last edited:
•••
have never said that in my life? literally come from a poor background so not sure why you would insinuate I said that.

Nope. It was another prominent domain investor who said it.

It is comments like that which are going to do absolutely no favors for the field.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Your comments are rather childish. "Cope". What a classic.

You know it is comments like that, that are not only not going to convince others, it just discredits the people saying them and makes them look bad.

I just don't understand why so many NFT proponents get so upset when they are not able to convince others of the intrinsic value of some little image that anyone can easily copy.

Brad
I think some people have nefarious motivation with any type of speculation - happened with coins in the 80's and is currently happening with classic video games to name 2 examples.....

upload_2021-8-26_13-13-19.png

I personally like NFT's - have not invested in them though and if people do or do not does not really bother me.

•••
no one is upset. there are many valid criticisms of some types of NFT's but incomplete opinions need to be challenged - especially if it stops others from exploring or doing their own research.

I know you just entered the conversation here, but it has been largely about the "artwork" aspect of NFT and mainly the bored apes and punks and stuff like that.

You are more than welcome to bring up alternate uses we can talk about. It would probably be more productive than responses like "Cope".

Brad

•••
i am not some billionaire or someone "nefarious" trying to "dump their bags" on anyone. i also would never call someone poor when I come from a council estate. i will just say investigate other mediums where this tech will come in handy.

will bow out now as it's getting too personal. Not trying to attack anyone just wanted a more balanced discussion.

Last edited:
•••
I am not some billionaire or someone "nefarious" trying to "dump their bags" on anyone. I also would never call someone poor when I come from a council estate. I will just say investigate other mediums where this tech will come in handy.

Will bow out now as it's getting too personal. Not trying to attack anyone just wanted a more balanced discussion.
Just to be clear I was not taking a dig at anyone on here - including you :xf.smile:

•••
[QUOTE="griff, post: 8376795, member: 1023247"
the audacity of people fudding an industry centered around something they have no real knowledge of is unbelievable cope, proper dunning kruger vibes on these threads.[/QUOTE]

I’m exactly!!!! Because that’s the EASY way! To not get in there and learn. That’s like someone talk smack about the carpenter, he’s trade , and the deck he just built ! And not knowing One thinking about carpentry, wood, or it’s trade smh!!!!

I’m in there, the NFT SPACE, I own a few
and I understand it’s 100x more than I did before I got I there

but hey a lot of domainers are anti crypto still to so what do you expect.

it’s as if some except the world and internet to never evolve, because all that matters so some .com they been holding 20years

I posted this a week ago in another thread
E2FDC1D1-F321-485A-9A12-DC7608490729.jpeg

That floor rice was LAST FRIDAY!

The FLOOR PRICE NOW is 29ETH

That’s less than a week you can’t wrap your heads on that return on 5 days….but many will stay here and knock simple cuz that’s the easy thing to do!

Les Brown said “ If you do what is easy, your life will be hard, If you do what is Hard then you life will be easy”.

I’m not forcing or shaming anyone for not getting on board. I’m simply saying, you can have you opinions……but MANY here on this forum and across the globe still don’t understand a f*ckN thing about NFTs and that there more to all than just the sales.

I’ve met the friendly, smartest and brights community just through one project , smart tech people from all walks of life that share common traits, games, collections ..animals

DISCORD is amazing…and I’m telling you right now so many people are going to be sorely confused when they see what things come out in time!

if you don’t understand how to change a tire it’s Ok but do not smack talk the mechanic while he’s doing for you, either go do something else in the meantime…OR get in there and learn how and what he’s doing, then make your own analysis!

thanks 🙏🏻

•••
Well, things go up and down due to supply and demand. When things go up people just assume they always will, until they don't.

The "floor" price is similar to an asking price when it comes to domain names. People can ask whatever they want.

If someone thinks that is such a great deal, buy in before it goes to the moon!!!

Personally I would be real hesitant buying anything that moved than much in such a short period of time.

There is really no fundamental valuation metric or intrinsic value you can point to and evaluate these.

A bored ape could be worth 100ETH in a year or it could be worth 1ETH as more and more and more NFT come out in an endless stream.

Everything about the valuation is based on greater fool theory. Again, it doesn't mean you still can't make money on it.

In finance and economics, the greater fool theory states that the price of an asset is determined by whether you can sell it for a higher price, at a later point in time. On assets where the theory applies, it is implied that the asset's intrinsic value is less important than the increase in demand, however irrational it might be. The person buying the overpriced asset later on, for a higher price, is deemed the greater fool.

I think it is going to be a pretty tough lift to ever convince a critical mass of people that some small image is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Brad

I will say Brad

I think it lies once again at the heart of the community, if your part of a good one and talking to your mates everyone in Disocrd about anything and everything, there’s a since of bonding.

So if I I or he were to feel someone is poking or making fun of something I and my group are passionate about I’d feel the need to bark back.

It be no different and much like when people make fun of Domainers and or NPros, they have no clue but I still tell them where to stick it! And I stand up for my community here at NamePros

Also, while you circle me in domain and website tech knowledge I give you that :) ….

The value IS NOT IN SOME TINY LITTLE PIC ANYONE CAN Copy!!! For the 1,000Time…

Let me know when you can send your screenshot of the “pick” to your wallet…..ILL WAIT!!

you can’t!!!! JEPG IS A JEPG!!!

And nft is a NON FUNGIBLE TOKEN

HERES THE BEST WAY TO PUT FOR PEOPLE TO GET IT!

you can buy bitcoin
You can buy ethereum

THEY HAVE NO VISUAL FACE! Just a digit but they are TOKENS, no ones saying oh man you bought another digit of bitcoin

You all are seeing THAT IMAGE as it has been minted into the tokens contract on the blockchain

look

BITCOIN / No face (21 Million supply, every coin worth the same)

1 NFT token with a FACE (uniquely Minted, 1/1 coin traits, cost to minted and crypto spent, NOW ON BLOCKCHAIN just like btc, eth, )

1 bit trades for 1 bit, same for eth,

NFT are not that same, interchangeable hence they can not and do command a 1-1 price!

The art/face 🖼 is an aesthetically influenced part which creates even more value, you now have a TOKEN that may or may not look cool to you!

Now added to that again that your token has a art/pic / graphic face, you now make a card game, “GodsUnchained” the hype gets real and you start to get people from all sorts of niches and passion that want to be part of and join! Also it’s act as a “PASS” like golden ticket to club/ project events and rewards and more

Once anyone here can wrap their head around it’s NOT the JEPG that’s selling or creating the HYPE…..you will have leveled Up you’re ability to understand what’s happening much more clearly and even if you don’t want to be part of you, I’m sure many will not knock it.

The cash to play is what has people scratching there heads, but CRYPTO changed money and finance and there’s more BIG wallets people and companies with tokens (1,500eth) to play and spend then most realize) again because they got in early on crypto

now the rest of the world trying to buy 1 eth at $3k and you have wallet that bought (3,000 eth tokens) 5 years ago lol….it’s nothing for these players to battle it out on The “OpenSea” for the Booty/Token they want to hold, but or Trade and swap!

Well this is long and someone’s bound to dislike it but I’m just doing what we do on NamePros…share knowledge

I got to where I am from DYOR and doing it HERE with you all! So even if you don’t like NFTs

I like you all and thanks for being part of NamePros Fam!

Good Day y’all

Last edited:
•••
I will say Brad

I think it lies once again at the heart of the community, if your part of a good one and talking to your mates everyone in Disocrd about anything and everything, there’s a since of bonding.

So if I I or he were to feel someone is poking or making fun of something I and my group are passionate about I’d feel the need to bark back.

It be no different and much like when people make fun of Domainers and or NPros, they have no clue but I still tell them where to stick it! And I stand up for my community here at NamePros

Also, while you circle me in domain and website tech knowledge I give you that :) ….

The value IS NOT IN SOME TINY LITTLE PIC ANYONE CAN Copy!!! For the 1,000Time…

Let me know when you can send your screenshot of the “pick” to your wallet…..ILL WAIT!!

you can’t!!!! JEPG IS A JEPG!!!

And nft is a NON FUNGIBLE TOKEN

HERES THE BEST WAY TO PUT FOR PEOPLE TO GET IT!

you can buy bitcoin
You can buy ethereum

THEY HAVE NO VISUAL FACE! Just a digit but they are TOKENS, no ones saying oh man you bought another digit of bitcoin

You all are seeing THAT IMAGE as it has been minted into the tokens contract on the blockchain

look

BITCOIN / No face (21 Million supply, every coin worth the same)

1 NFT token with a FACE (uniquely Minted, 1/1 coin traits, cost to minted and crypto spent, NOW ON BLOCKCHAIN just like btc, eth, )

1 bit trades for 1 bit, same for eth,

NFT are not that same, interchangeable hence they can not and do command a 1-1 price!

The art/face 🖼 is an aesthetically influenced part which creates even more value, you now have a TOKEN that may it’s may not look cool to you!

Now added to that again that your token has a face, you now make a card game, “GodaUnchained” the hype gets really and you start to get people from all sorts of niches and passion that want to be part of and join!

Once anyone here can wrap their head around it’s NOT the JEPG that’s selling or creating the HYPE…..you will have loved Up you’re ability to understand what’s happening much more clearly and even if you don’t want to be part of you, I’m sure many will not knock it.

The cash to play is what has people scratching there heads, but CRYPTO changed money and finance and there’s more BIG wallets people and companies with tokens (1,500eth) to play and spend then most realize) again because they got in early on crypto

now the rest of the world trying to buy eth at 3k and you have wallet that bought 3k eth tokens 5 years ago lol….it’s nothing for these players to battle it out on The “OpenSea” for the Booty/Token they want to hold, but or Trade and swap!

Well this is long and someone’s bound to dislike it but I’m just doing what we do on NamePros…share knowledge

I got to where I am from DYOR and doing it HERE with you all! So even if you don’t like NFTs

I like you all and thanks for being part of NamePros Fam!

Good Day y’all

No, I perfectly understand what an NFT is when it comes to these, and ownership.

But the reality is for all intents and purposes it boils down to some little image in usage. An image that anyone could just as easily copy and use on their Twitter profile or wherever.

Hopefully everyone who makes a profit on these reports it on their taxes. It is on the IRS radar.

Since this is treated as property (at least in the US), exchanging art for crypto is a taxable event, at market value of the transaction. This includes gains when using or receiving crytpo as payment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
No, I perfectly understand what an NFT is when it comes to these, and ownership.

But the reality is for all intents and purposes it boils down to some little image in usage. An image that anyone could just as easily copy and use on their Twitter profile or wherever.

Hopefully everyone who makes a profit on these reports it on their taxes. It is on the IRS radar.
Exchanging art for crypto is a taxable event, at market value of the transaction. This includes gains when using or receiving crytpo for these.

Brad

Again missing it!!! Still

It’s not FOR YOUR PFP

Yes you can use it for the profile pic, yes the Rich show them off there.

But the ones make and creating trading games out of them, you can’t just make your own fake one from a project and come ask to play with it LOL

That’s like saying

well at the end of the day $million dollar Baseball Cards, Magic The Gathering Cards, Pokémon Cards…ARE JUST PICS ON PAPER, cardboard paper….

“I think we’ll all just sit around and make our own FAKE / Counterfeit collectible cards.😑” yes people try and they fail and go to jail

“Sure we’ll just use this printer, computer some paper and will make the exact same card as these guys in the world sell for thousands and millions of dollars and will just walk right in the shops and say he will sit down and play your game with the cards we just made with your pics free 😑

yeah it doesn’t work that way and please let me know when it and if it ever does.

I still cannot believe how many cannot understand how this is the digital upgrade of that.

Last edited:
•••
Again missing it!!! Still

It’s not FOR YOUR PFP

Yes you can use it for the profile pic, yes the Rich show them off there.

But the ones make and creating trading games out of them, you can’t just make your own fake one from a project and come ask to play with it LOL

That’s like saying

well at the end of the day $million dollar Baseball Cards, Magic The Gathering Cards, Pokémon Cards…ARE JUST PICS ON PAPER, cardboard paper….

I think we’ll all just sitting around and make our own FAKE / Counterfeit collectible cards.

Sure what does use the printer or computer some paper and will make the exact same card as these guys in the world sell for thousands and millions of dollars and will just walk right in the shops and say he will sit down and play your game with the cards we just made with your pics

Sure what does use the printer or computer some paper and will make the exact same car as these guys in the world sell for thousands and millions of dollars and will just walk right in the shops and say he will sit down and play your game with the cards we just made with your pics for free

yeah it doesn’t work that way and please let me know when it and if it ever does.

I still cannot believe how many cannot understand how this is the digital upgrade of that.

See the mistake people in the field seem to make is others don't understand the stuff. Some people do understand it and just have different opinions.

The ownership aspect is just some flex essentially. That is my view.

When it comes to actual usage anyone can copy and use the image.

There is a difference between a tangible copy of a sports card and a picture. There is no difference between digital pictures.

I am heavily involved in the physical collectibles field, and I largely think that is a bubble.

The collectibles thing is more comparable to NBA Top shot, which I don't really get the value in either.

There is also artificial scarcity vs actual scarcity. With modern sports cards how rare is a 1/1 Lebron James card if they make 1,000 different ones. That is artificial scarcity.

Trying to find an original Mickey Mantle rookie. That is actual scarcity.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
When it comes to actual usage anyone can copy and use the image.

There is a difference between a tangible copy of a sports card and a picture. There is no difference between digital pictures.

Brad

That’s just it, that’s why one needs to source out the ones doing it right.

A project leader That has idea,a vision, builds a company with the NFTs base being startup .

Hires Artists ( which ours did) create 10k unique characters, (ours did) releases the Art as NFTs (Never once put online anywhere before then, no JEPG around to copy, unrealsed image)

Then MINTS the NEW art/image/Character on blockchain making it a NFT you now have original ownership Providence and date of creation who owns it where it came from and is now on the block chain for everyone to see. The company as per terms in the contract will forever get royalties and its use of this token aka NFT wether billboards commercials or resells.( btw lookout for Cartoons, meet Disney, meet Tesla, meet cute furry friends) no more info there ;)

So yes meaning if you see this particular NFT (IP)floating around on the Internet and you want to screenshot it with your phone so be it, feel free but for any person or company who wants to use the image wether clothing merchandise(coming :))inventory advertising marketing you cannot use it without permission and agreement a.k.a. purchasing license to use that imagery a.k.a. the NFT and I’m sure those who try to do that wrong we will suffer legal actions. IP

The IP OF THE COMPANY AND ITS NFTS

this is why the profile pic is such a small small part of all of it the one I’m invested in now there’s so many things in merchandise coming out and big companies are working it’s going to be really exciting.

Last edited:
•••
That’s just it, that’s why one needs to source out the ones doing it right.

A project leader That has idea,a vision, builds a company with the NFTs base being startup .

Hires Artists ( which ours did) create 10k unique characters, (ours did) releases the Art as NFTs (Never once put online anywhere before then, no JEPG around to copy, unrealsed image)

Then MINTS the NEW art/image/Character on blockchain making it a NFT you now have original ownership Providence and date of creation who owns it where it came from and is now on the block chain for everyone to see. The company as per terms in the contract will forever get royalties and its use of this token aka NFT wether billboards commercials or resells.( btw lookout for Cartoons, meet Disney, meet Tesla, meet cute furry friends) no more info there ;)

So yes meaning if you see this particular NFT floating around on the Internet and you want to screenshot it with your phone so be it, feel free but for any person or company who wants to use the image wether clothing merchandise(coming :))inventory advertising marketing you cannot use it without permission and agreement a.k.a. purchasing license to use that imagery a.k.a. the NFT and I’m sure those who try to do that wrong we will suffer legal actions.

this is why the profile pic is such a small small part of all of it the one I’m heavily invested in now there’s so many things in merchandise coming out and big companies are working it’s going to be really exciting.

Other uses of NFT I am just not sure how they would work in reality, like fractional ownership of a domain name. I saw Mike Cyger posted a listing for Pyramid (dot) com -

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947...87821820981756137048544138956972801549926401/

If it kind of unclear to me what you are actually buying. What the ownership actually means.

As is it seems like there would be many problems with this -

Do fractional owners get their fractional share of revenue from the domain, like a dividend?
Do they get voting rights on things like usage or a potential sale?
What would stop the registrant from just selling the domain and keeping the money?

If it was something like true fractional ownership, which had voting rights, and others protections...that is something that I might understand. In this case I am not sure what it is really.

EDIT: I think I might be confused on this one. I guess Michael Cyger is just outright selling the domain. I would rather use Escrow.com if I was spending $3M+ for a domain. :)

Still, if you could iron out the details fractional ownership (like shares) on premium domains might interest me.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Other uses of NFT I am just not sure how they would work in reality, like fractional ownership of a domain name. I saw Mike Cyger posted a listing for Pyramid.com -

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947...87821820981756137048544138956972801549926401/

If it kind of unclear to me what you are actually buying. What the ownership actually means.

As is it seems like there would be many problems with this -

Do fractional owners get their fractional share of revenue from the domain, like a dividend?
Do they get voting rights on things like usage or a potential sale?
What would stop the registrant from just selling the domain and keeping the money?

If it was something like true fractional ownership, which had voting rights, and others protections...that is something that I might understand. In this case I am not sure what it is really.

EDIT: I think I might be confused on this one. I guess Michael Cyger is just outright selling the domain. I would rather use Escrow.com if I was spending $3M+ for a domain. :)

Still, if you could iron out the details fractional ownership (like shares) on premium domains might interest me.

Brad

Not ignoring you, I’ve got to drive for a bit, I’ll get back to you.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back