Dynadot

discuss Why do people let all these great domains expire?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainer2015

Impact
I've always been a little puzzled, especially when looking at expired domain auctions the kind of domains you see people let expire. It's no more than $15 to renew a domain, and I've seen some expired domains going for thousands!

So what does everything think some of the most common causes for all the great domains that expire daily?
Is it lack of knowledge? Forgetting to renew? Lack of funds to renew? Abducted by aliens?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
think wires got crossed here. that is who I used to snag a domain.

•••
namecheap

NameCheap.com would be a nice domain to own. If only NameCheap forgets to renew it.

this is a good thread, by the way. I always forget to check this subforum.

•••
haha I've sold sites to people and they never worked on them and let them drop or forgot about them whatever and then waited for it to expire and bought it back and then sold them again.

I've done that several times now over the years. But that's only been for sites I knew were doing well.

Sometimes it pays to look up your old sites you've sold and see how they're doing or keep an eye on them.

•••
haha I've sold sites to people and they never worked on them and let them drop or forgot about them whatever and then waited for it to expire and bought it back and then sold them again.

I've done that several times now over the years. But that's only been for sites I knew were doing well.

Sometimes it pays to look up your old sites you've sold and see how they're doing or keep an eye on them.

It's definitely fun to look back on a domain you sold 10 years ago to see what's happening.

Give it a look. You guys might be surprised. ;)

•••
Some people forget to renew
Credit cards expire
People die :(
They may not see the value in the domain name
The busyness of life steps in

-Omar

•••

Something is sure, you will not get your clients back.

•••
The most common cost is they don't use estibawt.

•••
I think that with only a few possible exceptions, most domains would fetch more on a busy expired domain name auction than they would in a private sale. More eyes on it = more competing bidders to drive the price up, and suddenly a domain that probably wouldn't have ever entered your head without it passing your eyes in an expired auction suddenly becomes something of interest.

•••
I think that with only a few possible exceptions, most domains would fetch more on a busy expired domain name auction than they would in a private sale.

I've thought the same. I've seen expired domain sales on some domains that would barely get any interested if posted for sale here or on a regular auction - but the day they drop, you have people paying a lot of money just to be the one who catches the name.

•••
I lost a good one because a certain registrar that also offers hosting used the same damn /24 block for the SMTP server they host from that they use to send official mail.

I didn't pay attention but what happened is some of their hosting customers either were spamming or were hacked by a spammer, and the entire /24 ended up blacklisted by my mail provider so I didn't get the notification it was expiring. Still my fault, I should have kept an eye on it myself, but that's what happened.

Now I run my own mail server and I white list the IP address for my domain registry before any black lists are applied.

But that's how this kind of thing happens.

•••
Unfortunately domainers seem to only consider expiring domains rather than see what aftermarket names are available with BIN pricing which could still allow a nice return long-term. It is normal for newbies to reg $#%^&@! domains and spend thousands of dollars on them before they finally figure out what a good domain is.

•••
i think the most cut accross problem is lack of knowledge of domain value. After buying a domain or hand regged and no body ask you for purchase for long years; in most cases you are discourage and lost hope on the domain, to drop them is the next thingç unless you are experienced before you can keep them.
Cheers.

•••
I've always been a little puzzled, especially when looking at expired domain auctions the kind of domains you see people let expire. It's no more than $15 to renew a domain, and I've seen some expired domains going for thousands!

So what does everything think some of the most common causes for all the great domains that expire daily?
Is it lack of knowledge? Forgetting to renew? Lack of funds to renew? Abducted by aliens?

Except natural disasters and death/accident, I believe most of the dropped domain names are due to lack of interest from respective webmasters. Perhaps they don't understand the value added to the domain over time or they don't care at all.

•••
I drop names like a farmer plants seeds. Its a strategy to seed & grow namespaces in emerging markets.

I'll likely drop 300 this year, all bought with coupons, of course... and yes, I keep the category killers.

•••
It happens. For example drumkits.com drops today. It was owned by left field domains. So I'm just going to assume they unfortunately passed away.

•••
Why do some people throw valuable Star Wars action figures or vintage Apple computers in the bin?

They just don't know better. Or they know, but have the money.

•••
Some people already set a auto renew function on domain registrar ,they think it is safety and nothing to do because it is auto. But the fact is that domains can't be renew automatically due to some reasons like credit cards expired

When domain registrar inform them by email said: " Your credit cards expired , Please renew your domain by other payment" ,domain owner always think it must be a scam to trick money.

•••
Mental illnesses, depression (1 in 10 Americans), memory problems etc
All of them make you forgetful.

•••
I imagine a lot of domain names are dropped because they were bought for a specific purpose and that purpose no longer exists. For example, maybe a law firm Smith Jones Smythe and Barbour bought SJSB.com years ago and the firm dissolves. Why would they want to renew or suppose that it has any value?

The other thing to remember is that what may be worthwhile to a domainer who can easily monetize a domain may not mean much to someone who would have to put a lot of effort into it. Even if someone at the hypothetical law firm knew that there was probably some value to the SJSB.com domain name, the process of figuring out what it is worth, figuring out how to sell it and then processing the sale isn't worth $$$ to the owner. Time is money, too.

•••
People whom have been in the game long enough probably have had the similar situation that I have had (and more than once!) Registered a name, developed it and than sold it for good money... only to have the same name being able to be hand registered 1-2 years down the road. It is very interesting, my theory is a lot of people think they can become millionaires buying up developed domain/sites for a premium, than neglect them, have the traffic and revenue drop off and dump them.. Their modo -- leaving the sites on autopilot without updating content is a good internet business model. I drop amazing keyword names all the time, mainly due to the fact that I do not have the time to invest in development. Normally I will try and sell prior to expiration but sometimes life gets in the way... good way usually.

•••
Well good keywords will get loads of bids.Lately I have been following 2 char domain auctons and its going in thousand.

•••
death, bankruptcy, taxed, pregnancy, laziness, company delegation to name a few.

•••
i think it is just life getting in the way and people finishing a business/use for that particular name and not needing it anymore. i know its crazy to just drop it like that when they could try to sell it but as above most ppl don't think like that about domain names really

•••
The greatest number of people returned from the domain because they do not believe in themselves and that is sell well. Most of them have problems only with the domain but also with your whole life, do not have the courage to face up to their problems and why they have such a life...

•••
I know the thread is old but some people let quality names drop because they have a fleet of better ones or they are wealthy and could careless

I emailed a guy who was letting some really good domains drop.
I'm not going to say who he is or what domains I tryed to get.
But I offered him $1600 for 7 of the domains and he said he would rather let them expire then take less then $3000
And he let most of them expire and renewed 1 or 2 but he told me he had no plans to renew any until I said something.
And these where monster names....one man's trash is another man's treasure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back