IT.COM

.co Why .CO will will not do well

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
well maybe the title of the thread is a little harsh. I dunno. But I had an experience recently where I was helping my gf to organize a fundraiser. She wanted a website set up but the name we wanted was taken in all good extensions except .co, &.tel. So i decided to go with .CO. To make an otherwise long story short, we had pamphlets and invitations made for the event. Then a series of things happened that made me really question the usefulness and value of .co domains:

1) The guy at the printing shop who was making the promo material called to ask " are you sure the website is coorect? It seems to be missing the letter m at the end" lol

2) When we finally got them printed and handed out to over 700 people we kept getting calls about whether or not the website address was correct. I had to keep telling people to "jut type it in, it works"

3) At the event we had a guess speaker who kept encouraging people to go to www.nameof charity.com ( instead of .co ) and donate. Lol

Now I must admit that it might not have been a good idea to put up a charity site on a .co. But I thought that since the actual charity has its own .org already and this entity and site was created for the sole purpose of raising money for the charity in a one off event, then it wouldnt be much of a problem.

I know we sent a lot of traffic to the .com because the 700 in attendance were told to "tell their friends and family" LOL.

I am thinking that only domainers and people close to the industry ( registrars etc) see value in .co. My experience is that the man on the street who constitutes the "traffic" we all crave is totally confused by it. It will take a lot to get regular everyday people to accept it. Probably way more than a superbowl commercial as Godaddy is planning.

I am not saying it doesnt have some value. But for those dreaming of a .co/.com parity situation I say dream on!

I know many people are gonna point to the fact that overstock bought and is currently using o.co. thats fine. I wonder how much type ins O.co gets that are not from domainers? lol. Besides they have O.com to back it up. LOL

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you make money with .co then it is a good extension. If not then it is bad. Some win and some lose but you can't say that .co will not do well. It's like any extension, invest well and it's all good :)

•••
•••
The difference is most extensions have an identity.

.CO starts off as a typo, and with so little broad awareness many people are just going to assume it was a typo of .COM

Brad

I'm not sure 100%, but I think you are trying to pass off your "perception" as "reality". That is YOUR perception, nothing more.

This thread and it's name don't make sense anymore. Clearly .co is , as a beginning extension, the most successful in the short history of the internet.

Last edited:
•••
Any of you all's perception changed after 9 years?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back