NameSilo

.co 'Premium' post registration?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I noticed in Namecheap one of my .co domains that I recently bought labelled with 'Premium' - it seemed odd as the price paid didn't seem to have a premium reg fee.

I tried a test transfer to Spaceship and it was labelled as 'Premium' there as well. Tried a test transfer of a name that I've owned from 2013 that I thought I knew for sure wasn't premium, but was surprised to see the premium tag on that one too. 3rd name I tried had no premium tag and the price difference was less than a dollar but a difference nonetheless.

I checked both of my names that I've had since 2013 and both of them have a premium tag on them. I don't recall premium registrations being a thing back then... am I wrong? (I actually thought .co only had premium reg fees for the first year, not renewals) Does anyone know anything about the .co registry adding premium designations to existing registrations?

I have been the registrant of the 'Premium' name in the image since 2013

Screenshot 2023-07-18 100602.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That has been a thing for at least a few years. One of my first .co's in 2018 has been this way.

•••
That has been a thing for at least a few years. One of my first .co's in 2018 has been this way.
Thanks, for the info. Not a tactic that gives me much trust in the the registry. Are they currently all within $1 or have you seen bigger spreads?

•••
Yes, the difference is like that, I am not 100% sure but depending on registrar it may vary a little and be a bit above $1 (don't remember because the value never bothered me much, so I can be wrong on this one).

•••
Yes, the difference is like that, I am not 100% sure but depending on registrar it may vary a little and be a bit above $1 (don't remember because the value never bothered me much, so I can be wrong on this one).
Thanks again.

I can deal with an extra $0.79 per year, but I really don't like that they've designated domains as premium post registration. Not a good precedence, makes me wary of future changes they may implement.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back