Dynadot

.us Who owns the most .US domains in the world?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's interesting to read other information there as well but keep in mind that it's also from September 2002 so it really shows the dot us land rush results. Many of the names have changed hands and the number of domains and organizations that would be on that list today would be very different.

•••
Fundraiser said:
It's interesting to read other information there as well but keep in mind that it's also from September 2002 so it really shows the dot us land rush results. Many of the names have changed hands and the number of domains and organizations that would be on that list today would be very different.

wow a straight shooter amongst us

•••
I thought that it would be more. Only 2699?

•••
•••
I doubt that number is correct. After 2002 was when all remaining 3 letter .us domains were registered.

•••
I just checked the first one with 2699 domains and I believe that number reflects all the domains Dotster got in the landrush for various registrants; saying so because it lists Aeronautics.us and thats mine since it was first regged.

•••
Some pretty interesting information, thanks for sharing with the community Rob.

•••
it doesnt say 2669 domains it says contacts, is that the same?

•••
I agree with mole, it's all about quality, not quantity :)

•••
I own a lot of the ones listed on that site (Posted it earlier, actually :) ), so I can attest to the list no longer being accurate :)
-Allan

•••
Yeah, the list is about 3 years old, so quite inaccurate. Was a big investment purchasing that many domains though, if at the time it was accurate.

•••
Interesting! Michael Collins is on the list as having 1033. He and his brother got started by registering .US domains and they are now the owners of AfterNIC.

I still think .COM is major league baseball and all other TLD's are T-ball ;)

•••
Yeah same here. Maybe .net can compare, but not .us, .name or especially not .co.uk.

•••
Driving a Ferrari is amazing.

It should be noted that driving a Porsche or BMW is not bad either, and at a fraction of the price.

.Com is king, but the gap closes with every day. The other extensions don't 'need' to be as successful as .com to be significant. Technically, compared to when .com launched, the new extensions are ahead in raw numbers, growth and the Internet is a monster nobody even dreamed of way back when. There are so many factors, and you have to keep things in perspective.

The Internet... is the 'world' online, and there is plenty of space for everybody. Being #1 is great, but being 2, 3 or 7 is not bad either, and there are multiple levels within levels of measuring success, keeping it relative (etc.) but you get the point.

Porsche's and BMW's are pretty damn nice cars too!

:!:

•••
-db- said:
Driving a Ferrari is amazing.

It should be noted that driving a Porsche or BMW is not bad either, and at a fraction of the price.

.Com is king, but the gap closes with every day. The other extensions don't 'need' to be as successful as .com to be significant. Technically, compared to when .com launched, the new extensions are ahead in raw numbers, growth and the Internet is a monster nobody even dreamed of way back when. There are so many factors, and you have to keep things in perspective.

The Internet... is the 'world' online, and there is plenty of space for everybody. Being #1 is great, but being 2, 3 or 7 is not bad either, and there are multiple levels within levels of measuring success, keeping it relative (etc.) but you get the point.

Porsche's and BMW's are pretty damn nice cars too!

:!:

Right on -db- .com has had a head start of about 10 years? more or less. And the newer tlds are catching up quick. The .com sales are still highest and most common, but registration of newer tlds is on the rise

•••
Hmmm...I don't believe I see Future Media Architects anywhere in that list. :D

•••
merlix said:
Interesting! Michael Collins is on the list as having 1033. He and his brother got started by registering .US domains and they are now the owners of AfterNIC.

I still think .COM is major league baseball and all other TLD's are T-ball ;)

It's funny how narrow-minded many domainers are. Of course, .com got an amazing number of domains and will probobly be the number one for another 5 years to come. But the future is in the ccTLD's. Look at Germany for instance, a .com is not the first choice in Germany. Type-ins don't go to .com in Germany. Same is with most countries in Europe. I'm from Sweden for instance, and here, a .com is not worth much at all. It's all about .SE here, people want that national identity, and I see this will only become more and more important. Local laws will be easier implemented with those ccTLD's and will be what any serious company use as the first choice domain. In Norway, it's even worse. I got the term for "Real Estate Broker" in Norwegian, below .com. First, I thought I made a kick ass domain deal when catching "EiendomsMegler.com" 1 year ago thru a snapback service.. In Norwegian, the term is even two-part, while the english is three-part. So, I emailed and faxed several brokers in Norway (40-50), but none was interested. They want the .NO (norwegian country code).

We've now seen many markets become deregulated the latest years; Sweden, Spain, India, Italy and more. The future is in the country code, NOT ONLY the .com - atleast not for non-american citizens...

•••
I have to agree somewhat with Macke but mostly disagree at the same time. I disagree only because the facts prove him wrong. .COM's account for 50% of all TLD domain registrations worldwide. He is 100% right when he mentions ccTLD's being king in their countries and that is where I agree with him.
Germany has the most domains registered under its TLD and only has about 20% of the registrations that .COM has. From a business standpoint, take the TLD and look at its marketing potential by the number of businesses in its space. ccTLD's are limited to the business population for that country. .COM's cater to a much broader business population worldwide, albeit not in some countries, but definitely a larger market. I'm in the US and .US hasn't been available to the public for nearly as long as .COM has and if you ask the average American, they think .COM is for the US ;) So, .US hasn't done a good job of sticking over here.

Here are some interesting facts...

There are 76.9 million domains registered worldwide.
Of those, here are some highlights of the TLD's...
38.2 million .COM's
8.0 million .DE's (Germany)
5.9 million .NET's
4.2 million .UK's (United Kingdom)
3.6 million .ORG's
3.6 million .INFO's (only because of the cheap registrations a few months ago)
1.2 million .BIZ's
.9 million .US's

The United States holds the largest number of domains with Germany and the UK respectively holding close in 2nd and 3rd. There is a large gap to 4th which is Canada, then 5th being South Korea, 6th France, 7th Netherlands, 8th Japan, 9th Australia and 10th China.

The population of the US is 296 million.
The population of Europe is 726 million.

Now think about this. Someone in Germany registers a .DE, but technically, it is primarily geared towards Germans. Every ccTLD domain owner in Europe is going to want .EU when it launches next year. US companies that operate .COM's, but market globally are going to want .EU's too. I BELIEVE THAT .EU WILL BE THE SECOND MOST REGISTERED TLD!!!! My above facts are easily found on the Internet and they 100% support .EU being a dominant force.

In my opinion, .COM will ALWAYS be #1 unless a major marketing effort is done for another TLD and the Global 2000 companies start using it in all of their print and advertising campaigns. Unless this happens, there will not be another TLD to surpass it. .EU in my opinion will be #2 quickly by either the end of next year or sometime in 2007.

Now, I do think that if they opened up .INT, that it would become a dominant TLD in the top 3. For those of you that aren't familiar with .INT, it is what the United Nations and WIPO use and it is for International.

I am interested on what Macke thinks will become of .EU since he lives in Europe. I haven't gotten to hear a European's take on the .EU extension.

And, what does everyone else think of .EU?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back