NameSilo

registrars Who is the best registrar in the business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar?

• 1st

GoDaddy

votes
    29.8%
  • 2nd

NameSilo

votes
    22.5%
  • 3rd

NameCheap

votes
    13.4%
  • 4th

Uniregistry

votes
    11.2%
  • 5th

Dynadot

votes
    9.2%
  • 6th

Name.com

votes
    4.0%
  • 7th

Epik

votes
    3.4%
  • 8th

NameBright

votes
    2.4%
  • 9th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.6%
  • 9th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.6%
  • 10th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Domain.com

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Moniker

votes
    0.5%
  • 11th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.4%
  • 11th (tie)

NetworkSolutions

votes
    0.4%
  • 12th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

NamePal

vote
    0.1%
  • 12th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 13th

Rebel

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here, a few things have changed, and there is new policy out of GoDaddy today. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy ran away with the last poll.

1. Godaddy
    303 vote(s)
    52.5%

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think a poll like this is almost useless because most of the votes could well be from domainers who have only used 1 or 2 registrars. If the same question was asked to a group of people who had actually used at least 10 of these registrars. You might get a better answer to your question. Then again, you get domainers who like 1 particular feature of 1 registrar, which is why they user and/or voted for them. Like for me personally, It's no surprise GoDaddy is top. I dislike GoDaddy so much, I think they are one of the worst registrars on the planet. I'd put them just above 1and1 registrar. Really. Slightly interesting but not very informative would be my opinion of this poll. Nothing really new here from the last time this was asked.

•••
Discount Domain Club has a price though. I think you can get it down to $72 or so with a coupon.

So divide $72 by however names you have at GoDaddy and add that to $8.47.

•••
This forum is full of complaints from people outside of US that are being VAT charged on the regular prices for all products at GoDaddy. AFAIK there are some US states that are affected too. With VAT addition, DDC pricing is not so cheap anymore.

Yep, why I said "You would have to do the math for your own situation."

I have no idea what other's situations are, just my own.

Discount Domain Club has a price though. I think you can get it down to $72 or so with a coupon.

So divide $72 by however names you have at GoDaddy and add that to $8.47.

For me it would be about 16 cents, so still cheaper than other places, for me. That's just with .com. Maybe you invest in some other extensions where this may be a great deal, or it might not be.

Everybody has to do the math for their own situation, when it comes to pricing.

So for me, cheaper. Then again, I like the integration with the marketplace. I have a great rep, always have.

Last edited:
•••
Network Solutions has 3 votes, that's surprising for any domain investor to have them ranked the best, in my opinion.

•••
I am always surprised how much Register.com has dropped the ball over the last 15+ years.

Back in the late 1990s early 2000s they were the big dog but years of high prices and bad customer service especially when transferring out has hurt them.

They could have been Godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
I am an investor so I HAVE TO USE Godaddy! It doesn't mean that I want to LOL (Every other commercial on TV here in the US is the stupid Godaddy website builder commercial )
Why do I have to use Godaddy? Afternic integration, expired domain market, credibility with clients, pretty good support , bc they spend crazy money on ADs to build their brand etc etc
For all my handregs I use NameSilo because they are no frills , no addons,no drama!

Last edited:
•••
GD should never win this poll.

Last edited:
•••
I really believe EPIK should be mentioned in the poll

Fair point Hyper, I actually included the same names from the old poll, I should have switched out Domain Monster for Epik. @Eric Lyon can you edit that I don't think polls can be edited.

•••
They are decent, but have a flaw...

After the 15 day grace period the customer’s domain is deleted from their account. After day 16, the domain will in most cases be recoverable for up to a total of 69 days after the expiration date. In the case, where the domain can still be recovered a restoration fee not to exceed $90 is assessed.

decent is all we ask sometimes

•••
If they included a morning coffee, they would be perfect. :)
And maybe increased support coverage time. But that said, I voted for them as they ARE very good

•••
Name Silo is winning at the moment, and rightly so. They have everything - free privacy, a well designed market place with a reasonable charge for an "escrow" push, they accept and pay in Bitcoin, cheap prices, free privacy etc. If they included a morning coffee, they would be perfect. :)

I voted for NameSilo too.

•••
I vote for @namesilo

Guys you are phantastic

(please can you change the icon
which stands for AutoRenew / NonRenew
in a way that its more obvious
if its autorenew or not )

•••
All my domains are with NameSilo. Can’t fault them one bit from transfers (ins and outs)prices/customer support.

Companies that make it difficult to transfer out when selling you know are rubbish, recently dealt with Moniker, where i bought a domain from someone who had it stored there. What a nightmare to transfer it out! Took 7 days, tried to even make an account there to push from one account to another and they wanted passport id and other Identification.

Companies who make it difficult to leave, you know they are no good as they make it difficult as possible so you don’t and end up staying, GoDaddy is getting that way.

•••
I voted for NameSilo. Domain are cheap. My question why most people choose Godaddy?
Most people use Godaddy is because majority of the time end users have accounts there making for what used to be an easy push. Also with the connection of the Afternic, it is an easy push into Godaddy if you sell thru afternic. You also get access to their premium listing sales channel, which as being a top register does get lots of traffic.

At the end of the day everyone is going to charge you around $8-9, you have to think what works best for you in your overall portfolio.

•••
•••
Since they are little known can you describe in a few words what makes them different from other registrars ?
Their pricing for new gTLDs is outstanding and they have an user-friendly and minimalistic control panel and domain management.
He pretty much summed it up. In particular their control panel and dns updates. One click away from any settings you need to adjust, right from the panel. Complete control for all functions and the updates are immediate. The free whois is great too, though I only require it for a few domains.

Support is superb, very quick responses and resolutions. They also have no qualms about implementing improvements or change, very hands-on with their interface. Porkbun is neck and neck to NS for me.

Poor choice of a name imo...
Comeon now, who doesn't like bacon??

•••
Ah....Bulloney. I voted for Epik because Rob Monster is first class. Most of my 450+ domains reside at GoDaddy, but my last 22 domains I purchased at Epik. It may be because I'm new, or it may be because I'm old, but Rob Monster has gone out of his way to help me. At GoDaddy I'm a tiny fish in a big Ocean, but at Epik I can swim with the head Shark.
I couldn't agree more! :-P

•••
181 votes as of Nov 27, 2017 08:58:05 GMT:
  • InternetBS 1 vote(s) 0.6%
  • Dynadot 11 vote(s) 6.1%
  • GoDaddy 39 vote(s) 21.5%
  • Moniker 1 vote(s) 0.6%
  • Name.com 5 vote(s) 2.8%
  • NameBright 4 vote(s) 2.2%
  • NameCheap 14 vote(s) 7.7%
  • NameSilo 67 vote(s) 37.0%
  • Uniregistry 25 vote(s) 13.8%
  • Epik 14 vote(s) 7.7%

194 votes and 2,469 views as of this post. To give the poll more visibility, it was just added to the sidebar on 11/28/2017 midnight CST.

Thanks for starting the poll, Raymond!

•••
Namesilo is the best.
Namesilo 1 , Dynadot 2

•••
Moved all my domains to Namesilo.

Fasthosts seems to be the worst I have ever attempted to use. Account approval took almost 2 weeks after submitting documents. Had to abandon the account (intended to be used to receive the push of a name I bought) and transferred to NS instead.

Last edited:
•••
Wow Name Silo is the new "go mummy" - they cherish and nurture your domains, and fend off those nasty spamming pests. When it's time for your domain to leave the nest, they don't lock the door, and they can even handle the dowry payment. :)

•••
I start using GD 7 years ago when I bought a domain name and then bought website hosting and run my own website on GD.
My website never been down.In this year I start domaining,all my names on GD.

•••
Last time there was a best registrar poll, i voted for namebright.. i still like them, its surprising that not many people voted for them.. those who use dropcatch.com to backorder domains must've had some experience with them.

I think all namebright needs is a little faster support team and afternic/sedo premium partnership.. they have the best rates. reg, renew or transfer, same rate.. $8.03 per .com!!

•••
I have used godaddy, but I kinda gave up. I find their interface to be very badly organized, archaic and uneffective. Also their marketing strategy of high prices coupled with floods of coupons (that might even not work as promised or at all) became just really annoying.. so I thought to myself, what a waste of time, and, people must use them now because they have used them for years and don't know well organized and effective systems etc. and, actually, if we where to start from scratch I really really cant imagine "anyone" would use godaddy.

However I might have change my opinion a little bit lately. Maybe their interface isnt that terrible if one is used to it. And their marketplace is "the best" I guess if we talk about numbers.

Also, I have to admit I didn't know they are the cheapest? is this really true??? How much do you pay for renewals?

btw.
Im using namecheap, namesilo, and dynadot now.

And, Im surely gonna look into using epik, which I thing might be "the best" all things considered.

You can belong to their marketplace without being a registrant. But you'll need an account if you intend to win any domains. I thought they'd given up on coupons, years ago? Do they still have them? I agree with your sentiments, even it labels me as a GD basher. Which I admit I am. How much is their privacy? $6+? Cheapest? Choke, Joke. You can't beat NameBright's at cost, registrations/renewals. NameSilo is a very good offering with everything included, from a smallish registrar. Epik not so bad if you are on their domainer pricing. But a tad inflexible, IMHO. But some of their additional services could be quite useful. Landing pages etc (although not tried them). But my personal favorite is Dynadot. Cheap prices, if you belong to one of their plans. Great Support.

Last edited:
•••
The policy change Claude was the new 30 days instead of 42, not all customers got the email and that caused a bit of a stir here as well.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-domain-name-expiry-changes.1051138/#post-6445967

Thread where some wondered why they didn't get an email, https://www.namepros.com/threads/go...our-domains-after-30-days-expiration.1051137/

Yep. That sucks. Favoring auction participants over registered owners. I always praised GD for their generosity in that area. But it's just one more indication that they don't really care about registrants rights, because they trample all over them, all the time. It was their last saving grace for me. And I'm not one to let a domain drop and watch the auctions. Because I've already decided to drop the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back