IT.COM

GoDaddy going to start taking your domains after 30 days expiration

NameSilo
Watch
We will no longer be able to renew or even transfer out domains after 30 days past expiration date. This change takes effect Dec 4th so transfer out all your domains away from Godaddy now before you lose them!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Godaddy is good at one thing..... messing over their own customers. Godaddy is one greedy beast. That will be there eventual downfall.

•••
Ever look at there auction commission rates? Ridiculous for sellers.

•••
I do agree they are somewhat greedy on domain pricing and monopolizing but they've been alright with me at delivering so far (knock on wood).

•••
There is no need to transfer out you can still renew your domains after they expire. The email we sent lets you know that this impacts a very tiny percentage of customers. Almost everyone renews well before this. If you got this email this morning you have an account rep and can speak with them about the best plan for your renewals.

•••
There is no need to transfer out you can still renew your domains after they expire. The email we sent lets you know that this impacts a very tiny percentage of customers. Almost everyone renews well before this. If you got this email this morning you have an account rep and can speak with them about the best plan for your renewals.
I dont have a lot of domains there, 50 or so I guess and I didnt receive any email. Ia it for large domains holders?

•••
Yes we have millions of customers and for most of them this is not going to impact them at all. We chose to notify all the Premier Services customers as they may be impacted but also knowing that by doing so this would be spread around and others would be notified here and blogs etc which has happened as you know now the change. :)

•••
Wow this is a big thing yet GD chose not to tell everyone. THey decided news should be spread around "through blogs and word of mouth" so that no one would believe the 3rd parties and they get fkd when they suddenly can't transfer out.

•••
Wow this is a big thing yet GD chose not to tell everyone. THey decided news should be spread around "through blogs and word of mouth" so that no one would believe the 3rd parties and they get fkd when they suddenly can't transfer out.
Not exactly what I said. :) Everyone will get emails letting them know when their domains are coming up for renewal starting at 90 days out from renewal and also after the domains expire if you didn't renew by then. Also we are changing the DNS to make sure all of it goes down including MX so anyone who is using the domain will also be alerted that way that there is a problem if they didn't read the emails we sent. We also will call the majority of people to let them know that their domain is expired and that they have 30 days to renew. Everyone will know when it goes live right now we are trying to give the people who we can identify as likely concerned about the change an advanced notification.This should cover most people as you are now informed as well :) However, everyone will know and be notified more than once and in more than one way.

Last edited:
•••
Not exactly what I said. :) Everyone will get emails letting them know when their domains are coming up for renewal starting at 90 days out from renewal and also after the domains expire if you didn't renew by then. Also we are changing the DNS to make sure all of it goes down including MX so anyone who is using the domain will also be alerted that way that there is a problem if they didn't read the emails we sent. We also will call the majority of people to let them know that their domain is expired and that they have 30 days to renew. Everyone will know when it goes live right now we are trying to give the people who we can identify as likely concerned about the change an advanced notification.This should cover most people as you are now informed as well :) However, everyone will know and be notified more than once and in more than one way.
Hi Joe!

Quick question: At what point does an expiring domain go up for auction?

•••
•••
So when a domain expires, approximately 26 days after expiration the domain is available for bidding should it delete.

Thanks!

One more question: When does GD delete the expired domain from the owners account? 90 days after expiration?

•••
We are not changing the auction timeline. This is separate from the domain expiration life cycle. The auction for an expired domain runs from day 26-36 of expiration and then the closeout auction starts after that if there was no winner on the previous auction. If there is an auction winner the domain name would be awarded at some point after the auction ends. This happens currently around day 42-43 after expiration.

•••
We are not changing the auction timeline. This is separate from the domain expiration life cycle. The auction for an expired domain runs from day 26-36 of expiration and then the closeout auction starts after that if there was no winner on the previous auction. If there is an auction winner the domain name would be awarded at some point after the auction ends. This happens currently around day 42-43 after expiration.
Question: Is there a way to keep all active, expired and redeemable domains in the main domain panel? And why does GD have the "cancelled" status? I think it should be active/expired/redemption/deleted. Not sure of the benefit of cancelled.

•••

Joe, Paul is posting in another thread it would be instantaneous.

Nat Hunt said:
It seems like it should be able to happen instantaneously under the new system.
Paul Nicks said: This is true

•••
Not sure what people are moaning about. Get your house in order and don't let your names expire if you want to keep them. 1, 10, 30 or 42 days makes no difference if you renew your names on time.

•••
Not sure what people are moaning about. Get your house in order and don't let your names expire if you want to keep them. 1, 10, 30 or 42 days makes no difference if you renew your names on time.
That is not the case... From what I read a while ago, it appear you might not be able to renew it or transfer out with this new policy in place. Godaddy is trying to target auctioned domains so that previous owners will not be able to renew them or transfer out and that means more money for Godaddy should the name end up with bids at auctions.

•••
GD is a business. Their goal is to be as profitable as possible. I like as much time as possible to renew just in case, but I don't fault GD for profiting from auctioning expired domains.

•••
•••
That is not the case... From what I read a while ago, it appear you might not be able to renew it or transfer out with this new policy in place. Godaddy is trying to target auctioned domains so that previous owners will not be able to renew them or transfer out and that means more money for Godaddy should the name end up with bids at auctions.
But that's only once it's expired isn't it? If you don't let it expire you have nothing to worry about.

•••
This has been an issue at Netfirms/Dotster/Domain.com for a while, in fact they take the name at the end of the 29th day after expiration. Regardless of why people let their domains expire and wait 30 days, this should not be the way to optimize the process. Unlike Godaddy, the above mentioned companies never notified customers about the change and NameFind technically "bought" hundreds of names that would have never been available to them without the loophole.

In other words, this technique is not going to impact the aftermarket that much, but enable NameFind (a godaddy company) to get a first pick to buy/sell/own domains that don't belong to them. Then, they let the domains they don't want for their own portfolio go into TDNAM. Not to mention Afternic's acceptance of techniques used by people like Leo Mustapha (@sholiviks https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks ), I will no longer be dealing with any of the Godaddy related companies in the future.

EDIT: The technique mentioned being used by @sholiviks is that one where he lists tens of thousands of domains owned specifically by domain investors with astronomical BIN prices on Afternic. Godaddy sells the domain KNOWING it is not owned by Leo, then Leo uses the private offer system at Godaddy to try to acquire the name at below cost. *This is my theory, based on how a few deals have been handled by Godaddy in the past 6-10 months.*

Last edited:
•••
Joe, Paul is posting in another thread it would be instantaneous.

Nat Hunt said:
It seems like it should be able to happen instantaneously under the new system.
Paul Nicks said: This is true
He agreed that it seems like it should not that it would be :) Paul and I have different styles of answering questions. I am more close to the chest than him typically speaking. We are looking at delivering domains faster to auction winners because of this change but I can't tell you how fast and am hesitant to give a timeframe until we actually have it deployed and working. With development things can change and/or be slowed down and I have found if I say something we are planning and then it doesn't happen people are not always forgiving. I am more conservative in my answers as a result. Paul can do what he wants he's my boss ;) just kidding but seriously speaking we both are honest in our answers and seek to be as transparent as possible with what is happening and what changes we make etc.
At the end of the day we both are pretty in sync there are many times we are both asked something at the same time and give almost a verbatim unrehearsed answer. We both really work hard behind the scenes as well as on the blogs to try and do the most good for the biggest number of customers overall based on the feedback we get so we really appreciate hearing from everyone and getting their point of view. We have a good team here and they all want to help the customers be successful.

•••
This has been an issue at Netfirms/Dotster/Domain.com for a while, in fact they take the name at the end of the 29th day after expiration. Regardless of why people let their domains expire and wait 30 days, this should not be the way to optimize the process. Unlike Godaddy, the above mentioned companies never notified customers about the change and NameFind technically "bought" hundreds of names that would have never been available to them without the loophole.

In other words, this technique is not going to impact the aftermarket that much, but enable NameFind (a godaddy company) to get a first pick to buy/sell/own domains that don't belong to them. Then, they let the domains they don't want for their own portfolio go into TDNAM. Not to mention Afternic's acceptance of techniques used by people like Leo Mustapha (@sholiviks https://www.afternic.com/sholiviks ), I will no longer be dealing with any of the Godaddy related companies in the future.
I think you are mistaken. GoDaddy does not buy names on the auction or hold any back for the Namefind portfolio. That portfolio has been built exclusively by purchasing domains from other investors or domain companies. This does not benefit Namefind in any way I can think of nor do we plan on holding names out of auction or bidding against any customers.

Last edited:
•••
I think you are mistaken. GoDaddy does not buy names on the auction or hold any back for the Namefind portfolio. That portfolio has been built exclusively by purchasing domains from other investors or domain companies. This does not benefit Namefind in any way I can think of nor do we plan on holding names out of auction or bidding against any customers.

My personal experience has been different, in fact, I have domains that disappeared from Netfirms/Dotster without notice at the 29th day. The domains were not listed in TDNAM, nor were they parked at Godaddy Auctions. But the WHOIS record was @NameFind and support declined to retrieve the domains claiming they were no longer mine. My only conclusion was to assume NameFind kept the names or they helped a buyer personally acquire the name outside of TDNAM.

•••
Typically day 26 after it expires.

If the auction schedule is not being changed, it means it will still go to auction on day 26. That gives the registrant 4-5 days after it goes to auction where they can still renew it.

For a multi-billion dollar company with massive resources, I am not sure why GoDaddy can't figure out the timing when it comes to auctions. Other venues like NameJet that deal in expired domains when the auction starts it can no longer be redeemed. If the redemption period is 30 days, why not start the auction after that period?

Brad

•••
Back