IT.COM

question Which NGTLD for a domain marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have registered probably to many NGTLD's for a domain sales website. Which extension would work best out of these?

.digital
.direct
.media
.global
.shop
.store
.tech
.market
.domains
.club
.xyz

None of the above? Some other NGTLD extension? Yeah! I know use a .com. I am :) Just considering tbroadening my reach.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
...None of the above? Some other NGTLD extension? Yeah! I know use a .com. I am :) Just considering tbroadening my reach.
Yeah, for a domain marketplace, I'd stick with .com

Were I to consider a ngTLD, I'd go with .domains or .club, assuming I was able to get a really, really great name in those extentions, something like: great.domains or domain.club :sneaky:

•••
Of course I prefer .com but if I had to use one of them it would be one of the following

.shop .store .domains .market

•••
Yeah, for a domain marketplace, I'd stick with .com

Were I to consider a ngTLD, I'd go with .domains or .club, assuming I was able to get a really, really great name in those extentions, something like: great.domains or domain.club :sneaky:

Thanks for your reply. Yep. Some of my names are pretty good -> really great :) Some are even premium domain registrations. I plan to keep my best names and drop a whole lot of good or worse domains.

I also have my main portfolio on a .com, of course. But I'm considering adding a NGTLD portfolio to a separate NGTLD domain (for the purists) :)

•••
Of course I prefer .com but if I had to use one of them it would be one of the following

.shop .store .domains .market

Thanks. I'm happy you entered into the spirit in which the question was asked. My shop/store domains aren't my best, (their ok, but I have better domains to choose from). I have some better ones in domains/market. I quite like .market as an extension.

•••
I like the keyword market in general I dont know if I would lean towards domains/market because of domain market dot com

•••
I like the keyword market in general I dont know if I would lean towards domains/market because of domain market dot com

If I'm using a keyword domain I'm always going to run into problems like that. The best way to overcome that is to use a domain which can be a keyword or a brandable. But there would be room for both of us :)

•••
Hi..

.com will be considered for broad reachability...

But I guess you are talking about specific term usage domian name like .global/.domains..

The above mentioned extensions will be great if second level domain is matching with the TLD...

I like these...
.global .domains .club .xyz

Again if we know the name it will be a decisive factor to choose from the above mentioned..

Good luck
Ravi

•••
Really hard to gauge without seeing what is to the left of the .com.

.shop .store, and even .market to the extent were very hard with premiums, .domains let a lot more inventory thru at better rates.

•••
There are also .market and .trade TLDs.

I wouldn't go for anything other than .com tho, unless it's an amazing name.

•••
It depends on the exact combo in those extensions....if you can obtain domain names with keyword "domain" for example domain.market, domain.store, domain.shop or domain.club....all those would be amazing :) But it will probably not be cheap.

Or maybe you can try keywords like "name" or "names" even in combination with other new gTLD extensions, like .solutions or .delivery...sometimes they get dropped by early adopters (for example I catched few months ago name names.media, which is not bad imo, for standard renewal)

Easiest way how to get something meaningful is to work with .domains extension - still lot of nice keywords, which can create memorable address for domain marketpalce are available atm, and for standard renewals.

•••
Really hard to gauge without seeing what is to the left of the .com.

.shop .store, and even .market to the extent were very hard with premiums, .domains let a lot more inventory thru at better rates.

Well I don't really want to say what is to the left of the dot at the moment. But they are all domain related. I don't think my shop/store domains are premium by their registry classification. But some of my other domains are premium registrations. However probably most are not premium by the registries classifications but could well be re-classified, if they ever dropped. So they are quite good domains. Of course IMHO. I guess my question was really, which of the NGTLD's I should best NOT use for a domain portfolio website.

•••
Well I don't really want to say what is to the left of the dot at the moment. But they are all domain related. I don't think my shop/store domains are premium by their registry classification. But some of my other domains are premium registrations. However probably most are not premium by the registries classifications but could well be re-classified, if they ever dropped. So they are quite good domains. Of course IMHO. I guess my question was really, which of the NGTLD's I should best NOT use for a domain portfolio website.
I would tend to use something that doesn't solely focus on domains, but has something to say about brand, or branding.

.Domains is more of a domainer option, not mainstream end users that you are probably looking to market to.

•••
I would tend to use something that doesn't solely focus on domains, but has something to say about brand, or branding.

.Domains is more of a domainer option, not mainstream end users that you are probably looking to market to.

I definitely have an excellent LLL (word) in the .domains ext which fits that descripton down to a T.

•••
One of my most inquiried domains was brand.guru, I sold it about a year ago for a decent amount.
I definitely have an excellent LLL (word) in the .domains ext which fits that descripton down to a T.
I would advise you against launching an end user portal on .domains, I grabbed many from EAP, including owning 3 single letter ones, they don't get much traction.

You can use a generic .com if you have one also, look at G Chernoff he uses netincome.com on a efty portal page.

•••
@wwwweb - Please keep in mind I'm not going to give up my main .com domain as my main portfolio website. What I'm maybe talking about here is maybe a specialty website for my NGTLD portfolio. I guess If I had the same quality of domains as G Chernoff, I would probably use my .com domain instead of his netincome.com ;) Which is quite a nice name IMHO.

I do take your point about the traction on .domains

Last edited:
•••
i find if you use one alternate extension, you have to reg them all to protect your brand... or just go with .com and be on top of the pecking order.

•••
.Domains would be my option (maybe obvious), but it also depends on the combination of the keyword + TLD.

•••
OK. Here is how I would rank these TLD's for the purposes of selling my NGTLD domains only. It doesn't reflect what I have to the left of the dot. It's only a rank of the NGTLD itself as a platform for marketing NGTLD domains. They are ranked from top to bottom. Of course the left of the dot could improve/reduce their ranking.

Good
1) .market
2) .global
3) .domains

Not as Good
4) .shop/.store
5) .digital
6) .club
7) .direct
8) .media
9) .tech
0) .xyz

•••
I have registered probably to many NGTLD's for a domain sales website. Which extension would work best out of these?

.digital
.direct
.media
.global
.shop
.store
.tech
.market
.domains
.club
.xyz

None of the above? Some other NGTLD extension? Yeah! I know use a .com. I am :) Just considering tbroadening my reach.

Hey Stub,

To be honest I think without knowing the left of the dot, this thread won't be able to help you much.

You might want to add a poll with all the domain options you have to see more accurate results.

Only considering the extension wouldn't help, by only looking at the extension I can imagine the best possible domain names with that extension but if you don't own that than it would be an irrelevant suggestion.

Only extension from that list that I wouldn't use is .xyz cause I don't really find that as a generic extension that can describe something meaningful when you add some keywords before it. but there are folks who love .xyz which is another story..

What truly matters is which combination do you like more than the others. If you ask me do not make a decision by only means of extension alone.

You can use .com as well but if you think your new gTLD combo is better than the .com domain than go with that. If you think .com version is better, use that one.

Good luck (y)

•••
@atinc - I understand it might help, but I really want your opinion about the NGTLD's themselves. Not what I have to the left of the dot. If you still insist on the left of the dot. Let's assume the left of the dot is Names in all cases. Does that help you to rank them? I think not.

•••
Hi

I think it depends on who you want to appeal to, for the alternate site

but if walking in your shoes, i'd pick .media

why?

cuz there are different types of media , which would fit the varied choices of ngtld's listed.

imo...

•••
@atinc - I understand it might help, but I really want your opinion about the NGTLD's themselves. Not what I have to the left of the dot. If you still insist on the left of the dot. Let's assume the left of the dot is Names in all cases. Does that help you to rank them? I think not.

From the list I would probably say .domains without knowing the left of the dot

But if you say the left of the dot is "names" than I would put .domains extension to the lower part of the tld list

cause left of the dot and right of the dot being both plural makes the domain weird

imo

hope it helps :xf.smile:

•••
From the list I would probably say .domains without knowing the left of the dot

But if you say the left of the dot is "names" than I would put .domains extension to the lower part of the tld list

cause left of the dot and right of the dot being both plural makes the domain weird

imo

hope it helps :xf.smile:

It does. I agree with your comment.

•••
If I had to pick a perfect ngtld name for your market, it would be

domain.market

Or domains.market for a lesser budget.

•••
Back