Dynadot

question Which NGTLD for a domain marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have registered probably to many NGTLD's for a domain sales website. Which extension would work best out of these?

.digital
.direct
.media
.global
.shop
.store
.tech
.market
.domains
.club
.xyz

None of the above? Some other NGTLD extension? Yeah! I know use a .com. I am :) Just considering tbroadening my reach.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, imo if you're selling domains, and there's a .domains tld, it's a no-brainer. I mean, isn't that the point of nG's? Made to measure.

I've never had issues with endusers/first time buyers through my main .domains lander site. I don't think .domains targets just domainers, it is understood by all.

But good luck with your decision Stub, many those extensions you're chewing on can work well, given the right pairing.

•••
You have

.markets

I guess It's a good extention...

Kind Regards.

•••
If I had to pick a perfect ngtld name for your market, it would be

domain.market

Or domains.market for a lesser budget.

Yeah. You would choose the most expensive one's :) Just kidding :)

•••
It's hard to help, ''domain sales website'' is vague.
domain.market, domain.store, domain.club, all are good but quite boring unless you have a serious portfolio.
I think its best to create a brand.
You can use .domains, or go with .com.

•••
.world can be another alternative?

•••
It's hard to help, ''domain sales website'' is vague.
domain.market, domain.store, domain.club, all are good but quite boring unless you have a serious portfolio.
I think its best to create a brand.
You can use .domains, or go with .com.

I do agree that a lot of these premium choices are all quite boring. Inasmuch not much invention or excitement. But they are dependable for a domain sales website. I also, am not going to move my main website away from it's chosen .com. The NGTLD is going to be only for my NGTLD domains. Which, IMHO, stick out like a sore thumb on my main domain. My expectation also being that this move might spice up my interest in NGTLDs. I do have 1 great LLL in .domains which would be great as a domain brand. But it would be a bit of excitement on the left and boring on the right of the dot, with .domains.

Another possibility is to use the same left of the dot as my current com. It's a thought I am considering. But it isn't showing much invention.

@John0. Yep .World is a good alternative also. It should have made the list, but I don't currently own and .world domains. But I will consider this.

•••
.world can be another alternative?
well, beautiful name domain / world just expired few days ago at dynadot, but it was bidded up for $1350 - not exactly cheap, considering another domain investor snatched it :)

•••
well, beautiful name domain / world just expired few days ago at dynadot, but it was bidded up for $1350 - not exactly cheap, considering another domain investor snatched it :)
Some poor sap from China let it drop, given the low renewal on it, and the 10-15-2015 registration date, looks like they might have acquired it directly from donuts, as .world was released the second week of January 2015. They also let win.world drop, as it looks like the party is over for them. I think Domain.World at $1350 is a good buy given the low renewal price of about $25. Perfect portfolio domains for a gtld portfolio, but as far as resale goes, domainers don't really pay up when it comes to domain names, they prefer to find their own, instead of paying on the secondary market. I learned that a long time ago, and I stopped acquiring domainer type domains as I see them often get bid very high.

•••
I agree with those who say ideally .domains if you have a great word that goes with that.

That being said, I think loads of other extensions would work well if there is a sensible match of word + extension. While some like .shop, .store,.market, .world, .global, might seem more obvious, I think even many others could work well.

I think it depends somewhat on the type of domain operation you foresee. The tone of your name should match the brand of your store. Is it mainly business end users, of a serious bent? Or mainly startups that might be more adventuresome? Creatives that like something a little risky? Or a lot of NGOs that don't really like a commercial tone?

Is it strictly domain sales, or more generally a service re branding, protection, technical help, etc. If the latter, I might shy away from .market, .shop and .store that would box you in a bit.

Strictly English language, or more global? I know .xyz does not get much love on NPs, but the fact that it is not language specific has certain advantages if not strictly English end user clients.

What extensions do you see yourself mainly selling? I see some benefit in modelling what you want to sell to others, so for example if you plan to handle a lot of .online I might choose that (or similarly with .store, .shop, .world, etc.).

Best wishes for success.

Bob

•••
There is one small problem with using the same name as my .com in say .global. Although I think my current com is pretty good. I can probably afford something better in an NGTLD. Which I cannot afford to do in .com.

•••
I agree with those who say ideally .domains if you have a great word that goes with that.

That being said, I think loads of other extensions would work well if there is a sensible match of word + extension. While some like .shop, .store,.market, .world, .global, might seem more obvious, I think even many others could work well.

I think it depends somewhat on the type of domain operation you foresee. The tone of your name should match the brand of your store. Is it mainly business end users, of a serious bent? Or mainly startups that might be more adventuresome? Creatives that like something a little risky? Or a lot of NGOs that don't really like a commercial tone?

Is it strictly domain sales, or more generally a service re branding, protection, technical help, etc. If the latter, I might shy away from .market, .shop and .store that would box you in a bit.

Strictly English language, or more global? I know .xyz does not get much love on NPs, but the fact that it is not language specific has certain advantages if not strictly English end user clients.

What extensions do you see yourself mainly selling? I see some benefit in modelling what you want to sell to others, so for example if you plan to handle a lot of .online I might choose that (or similarly with .store, .shop, .world, etc.).

Best wishes for success.

Bob
All good suggestions but extensions controlled by Radix .online are very blanketed when it comes to premium. Same with .store, and .shop, but .world was a earlier donuts release many of the good terms the domainers paid up in EAP earlier to secure them and as many have said it is a great universal extension if you are going to play in this space you have a higher chance of sell thru with a good .world.

•••
I think there are some good options for .domains @stub , at the regular renewal.

Did a quick search:

Excellent.Domains available

Handpicked.Domains available

Both regular renewals. Not saying you should pick any of those, but I agree with @HotKey .domains makes the most sense. imo

Good luck

•••
Did a quick search:

Excellent.Domains available

Wow some great options still available!
A Canadian domain company for many years has operated under that name, not sure if that is an issue with selecting that one.

http://www.excellentdomains.ca/

They should have taken it,although I don't think they are into new extensions at all.

•••
Early on I thought I would make a site where I could list all my domains, so I acquired a lot of great .com's for sales sites, and just put them away. Many domainers have tried to buy them, but we are all the same we become very attached, and think one day we will develop which we never do.

In the end when it comes to a domain someone is going to be specific, and come to the direct lander, or inquiry page. Unless you have a huge site like brandbucket where they are kicking around for an idea.

The lower inquiry rate in gtld's you have seen, really won't be bumped by a sales site, it is just there is no new launches, no real talk, nobody is spending forward money on marketing. Everyone is pretty defensive, and just trying to become profitable, or stop the burn. You kind of have to capitalize on the sales when they come, and hopefully you acquired a lot of good early 2014/2015 inventory, as well got to cherry pick when donuts released their reserve inventory.

•••
The lower inquiry rate in gtld's you have seen, really won't be bumped by a sales site, it is just there is no new launches, no real talk, nobody is spending forward money on marketing. Everyone is pretty defensive, and just trying to become profitable, or stop the burn. You kind of have to capitalize on the sales when they come, and hopefully you acquired a lot of good early 2014/2015 inventory, as well got to cherry pick when donuts released their reserve inventory.

I hear ya! I'm in much the same boat. I'm not buying much new inventory at the moment. I'm dropping many more domains, which I thought were good, but haven't lived up to their worth. With this approach, there is always the possibility of dropping a baby with the bathwater. You just have to be as careful as you can be. Most sales are going towards development and renewals. There were a few of domains I was bidding on which went just too high for me to afford them (even at a pinch), in low-mid 4 figures. I really liked one, but it was only a defensive registration. Had to let it go. Even though there were only 2 bidders remaining. Domain was probably worth more, but it's a much harder sell to another domainer. Might take a while to sell. There's definitely more competition for good names today, than even 2-3 years ago.

•••
I hear ya! I'm in much the same boat. I'm not buying much new inventory at the moment. I'm dropping many more domains, which I thought were good, but haven't lived up to their worth. With this approach, there is always the possibility of dropping a baby with the bathwater. You just have to be as careful as you can be. Most sales are going towards development and renewals. There were a few of domains I was bidding on which went just too high for me to afford them (even at a pinch), in low-mid 4 figures. I really liked one, but it was only a defensive registration. Had to let it go. Even though there were only 2 bidders remaining. Domain was probably worth more, but it's a much harder sell to another domainer. Might take a while to sell. There's definitely more competition for good names today, than even 2-3 years ago.
That is the thing you get a sale, and you buy 1-3 domains, and your sale is wiped out. I don't know who these guys are, but they are running automated max bidding bots on tdnam, you bid, and your outbid right away. The F'ing thing is the difference between getting a deal, and paying end user it is always one damn bidder, I swear in one auction always that one damn bidder who ruins the buy. I know it goes both ways, but just for once, let something slip by like it used to back in the day. These damn bots got everything covered can't get nothing by them, and always in the last seconds. If you do take them out, then some other SOB jumps in, and is even more crazy than the last, thinking they are chasing a hot commodity here. Make them pay, let them have them, they will have to sit on a lot of capital for a long time for recovery. There is no point buying in todays market, as all your end user sales will get eaten up in expensive inventory. Some of the larger players have real good cashflow coming in, and they are deploying heavy into .com.

Last edited:
•••
As I see many times people use word "Name" in this thread and you want to sell domain name then why not .Name :xf.smile:

•••

I have a question about that (process). Did you have to sit watching the auction until it completed. Or is there a way you can find out the sales price from Dynadot, after the auction has closed?

Tip: Whilst we are on Dynadot. I find them cheaper for almost every NGTLD than Uniregistry. Their search is crap though, matched against Uniregistry's search. So I'm mostly searching for NGTLD's on Uniregistry and registering them on Dynadot. You should try it :)

•••
just on .world

if you look for machinery world on google you will see that the .com is in first place

but in third place is the .world version two different companies but shows the power of good left and right names

•••
I took .domains for my portfolio site. Thought it's nice. Which is to my shame is still in development and i even don't have a time to keep the stock updated there...

However, soon i realized that it might be not so good for some operations... For example, for outbound. We know from many threads and comments by our friends here, that many end users and average joes still look at domainers and at the entire domain business in rather negative way, think we are squatters and speculators etc. And here, they get an email from **@**.domains email address. Might immediately develop all kind of negative attitude towards me. I don't think it's really good idea. Maybe i should find nice meaningful or brandable .com or even .media for outbound.

•••
I think if you are selling nTLDs, you should be using a nTLD yourself. At least show you are drinking your own medicine.
I have seen too may outlets preaching water while drinking wine, that is singing the praises of nTLDs but for others, they use .com and would never even contemplate using anything else.

As to what extension would be best, that depends very much on the left of the dot. You have to look at the whole name.
I think consistency is important. If you have a focus on certain extensions, then consider using one of those for your website. For example using a .store would be odd (to me at least) if you don't have any for sale.

•••
I think if you are selling nTLDs, you should be using a nTLD yourself. At least show you are drinking your own medicine.
I have seen too may outlets preaching water while drinking wine, that is singing the praises of nTLDs but for others, they use .com and would never even contemplate using anything else.

As to what extension would be best, that depends very much on the left of the dot. You have to look at the whole name.
I think consistency is important. If you have a focus on certain extensions, then consider using one of those for your website. For example using a .store would be odd (to me at least) if you don't have any for sale.
I totally agree with this. I think it is pretty shameful to sell new gTLDs from .com, particularly if one has ONLY new gTLDs, but it's just imo :)

I am personally using .international extension - most domainers willl tell it is too long, but for me it serves well, and mainly, I would pay quite high renewals for keywords like "domain(s) or "brand(s)" on alternative extension, while my name is 20/year .. I think names must be sustainable longterm when we select them.

•••
I have a question about that (process). Did you have to sit watching the auction until it completed. Or is there a way you can find out the sales price from Dynadot, after the auction has closed?

Tip: Whilst we are on Dynadot. I find them cheaper for almost every NGTLD than Uniregistry. Their search is crap though, matched against Uniregistry's search. So I'm mostly searching for NGTLD's on Uniregistry and registering them on Dynadot. You should try it :)
Well, you can watch the auction, but also names from Dynadot auctions gets reported very quickly in namebio.com afaik, it is always matter of few days. One can just search for that particular name there.

Yes, I also search for names on Uni, and reg them on Dynadot, Namecheap,Uni, Name.com, West.xyz, and few others - it very much depends on which extension is in question, and whether there is an ongoing promotion...the differences in gTLD pricing are huge among various registrars.

•••
Hi Stu,

I like .domains, .shop and .market. :xf.smile:

•••
I have

token.markets

so I recommend .markets extention...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back