Dynadot

discuss Which kind of domainer are you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xynames

XYNames.comTop Member
Impact
Growing up in Southern California, I have been surrounded by Persian rug stores. There are at least a few if not far more in every affluent city here. While they may look the same from the outside, there are distinct types and categories to these rug dealers.

The first, is the old school aristocratic type. He has an aged classic inventory that is all bought and paid for. While he might also hold some rugs on consignment, he is primarily in the business of buying and holding. He is well capitalized and can afford to hold on to his inventory, paying the rent on his shop for years to come. In no hurry to sell, he welcomes you into his shop with hot Persian tea, invites you to sit down, and takes the time to get to know you before suggesting what he believes will suit your needs. When he does quote you a price, it is not cheap, but fair, and while he’s willing to negotiate, he’s not desperate to sell and will not take any lowball offers.

At the other end of the extreme are the dealers whose entire stock is on consignment. They own nothing and must sell constantly in order to pay rent. To them, time is money (they are always looking at their watches) and they cannot afford to indulge in conversation with customers unless it leads to a sale. They will discount heavily - they will dump at auctions - whatever it takes to make a sale. Always with them there is a deadline. Finally, if they can’t make it they will hold a “Going out of business sale” to attract buyers, pretend to be on the way out, and reopen with whatever is left at a new location.

The third type of Persian rug dealer is somewhere in between. He has some paid for inventory that he’s willing to hold on to, but also a lot of speculative less expensive holdings that he needs to move regularly in order to meet expenses. He’s not in a nervous hurry to sell, but then neither is he able to hold on forever waiting for the right buyer.

Which kind of domainer are you? Into which category do you fit?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll like to be in the third class. But the pressure of not selling may want to force me into the second class

•••
I don't have any rug domains, so I guess I don't fall into any of the above. ...oh well

•••
I try to be in the first category by being patient and waiting for the right buyer. There have been some lost opportunities as a result but I always hope that a better deal will come along on down the line.

•••
The first...
Started in 2003.
Almost everything I've owned/sold was an expired registration fee .com.
List at Afternic, Sedo, Uniregistry etc... but 90%+ of all of my sales over 15 years have come direct to my own marketplaces or landing pages as that's where the domains have pointed so no commissions or escrow fees along with building my own end user database.
Usually sell in the high xxx-xx,xxx range.
Can afford to hold until the "right buyer" presents themselves as an $8 acquisition is only another $8 a year so it's no different than buying a domain at auction for $500, I can hold an $8 domain for 5-10 years and I'm only out $40-$80 so cheap enough not to undersell.
I'll buy from domainers but not looking to sell to them as my whole game for 15 years has been how much profit can I generate from an $8 acquisition which has been all over the board 1k, 3k, 6.5k, 7.5k etc... turned down 15k last week on one I've held for a bit. Gets a ton of offers every month and very hot category right now so I'm not totally insane. :ROFL:

Think by me doing deals direct helps as well as I know who the buyers are which makes negotiations easier. Buy the best .com domains ya can find, list them at the major markets but point them to your own marketplace script or domainmarketpro.com, efty.com, etc... as slowly building a database of end user names, emails, phones, ips has value and produces commission free sales. Stop sending traffic to markets that can email market your leads for life, their focus is on selling any domain whether that's another domainers domain or one of their own etc... Paying 9%-30% commission because their "free" landing page is pretty is insanity as you can buy your own script for chump change with a low monthly hosting fee or use a subscription service with a low monthly fee that doesn't hide buyer information. Few bucks a month trumps getting whacked for commission on every single sale turning that "free" sales page into the complete opposite of free.

Last edited:
•••
I don't fit the mold. I sell flying carpets that hover above the rest. Thanks.

•••
I don't fit the mold. I sell flying carpets that hover above the rest. Thanks.
Maybe I need to learn programming to find some flying carpets too :xf.cool:

•••
The first, is the old school aristocratic type. He has an aged classic inventory that is all bought and paid for. While he might also hold some rugs on consignment, he is primarily in the business of buying and holding.

At the other end of the extreme are the dealers whose entire stock is on consignment.

The third type of Persian rug dealer is somewhere in between. He has some paid for inventory that he’s willing to hold on to, but also a lot of speculative less expensive holdings that he needs to move regularly in order to meet expenses.

There is one major difference between the market you described and domaining.All domain inventory, quality notwithstanding, held by sellers/resellers, is fully paid for, meaning it's not bought on a payment plan (though buying domains on credit cards may qualify as quasi-consignment).

A fourth category needs to be added. In clothing retail, while deliveries of merchandise to the independent shops occur on a non-consignment basis formally, in practice they are ruled by schedules of limited consignment, being that payments for deliverables to the suppliers are often set at a 1-2 months time-frame post delivery date.

Last edited:
•••
"All domain inventory, quality notwithstanding, held by sellers/resellers, is fully paid" - not quite, the equivalent to consigned Persian rugs would be - domains that are brokered for another.

•••
We can't compare domaining to a rug shop or real estate or even cryptocurrency.

Except domaining, in no other shop/product/asset you have to pay the full acquisition amount (even more, most of the time) again and again, year after year.

•••
The brokers were left out of the equation by me deliberately , because among the name pros platform members whoever would fit into that category primarily, would be found on the fringe. Sellers=domain holders, resellers= dealers, etc.

Last edited:
•••
•••
[QUOTE="xynames, post: 6461939, member: 998120All domain inventory, quality notwithstanding, held by sellers/resellers, is fully paid" - not quite, the equivalent to consigned Persian rugs would be - domains that are brokered for another.[/QUOTE]

Not quite.. While Persian rugs sold by consignment, as you've alluded, are of the lower quality, the domains sold this way - through brokerage - are the opposite, being of the highest quality generally.

Last edited:
•••
Not at all! The quality of the rug has nothing to do with consignment, million dollar rugs are on consignment as much as thousand dollar ones, if not more so. Whether a rug merchant has a lot of rugs on consignment or not depends more on availability of capital and business philosophy.

(Have some friends and family members in the rug business.) :xf.wink:

Anyway...lol...of course it's not an exact fit. But the three general categories do apply to us domainers. And can get us thinking about our goals, and business philosophies.

Last edited:
•••
I think most people would like to be in the 1st group, but it's not a matter of choice, but rather a matter of what one can realistically do, considering his financial situation.

•••
Nit at all! The quality of the rug has nothing to do with consignment, million dollar rugs are on consignment as much as thousand dollar ones, if not more so.

That's strange... Selling a million dollar rug, without inviting a customer for the prerequisite high tea ceremony, is ill-mannered and goes against the grain of all etiquette rules....or pulling the rug from under one's feet by a shop owner of the 2nd category, pretending to be on a going-out-of business spree, doesn't fit the profile of a luxury market. :)

Last edited:
•••
Anyway...lol...of course it's not an exact fit. But the three general categories do apply to us domainers. And can get us thinking about our goals, and business philosophies.

Except, contrary to the rug business, in domaining, a category 1 seller would, at most, offer a glass of sparkling water while entertaining buyers on the value of his names with feigned indifference of a reluctant holder, while a category 3 domainer would take a prospective out for tea, where and an eager category 2 hustler wouldn't mind going out of his way by dining and wining a customer in pursuit of sealing a desperate deal ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
The best domainer of the end-times.

•••
Waste too much time, don't make enough. Who else is this type of domainer? :)

•••
•••
I deal in these type of rugs so what category would I fall into? :)

url-1.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The third type fits me the best. Entertaining post BTW!

Last edited:
•••
There are such rarest of collections, the monuments need to be build around them to immortalize their glory. One finds these artifacts stored in museums protected by walled gardens from accidental trespassing. Then, on a lower scale, there are treasures of less obvious value where it takes an eye of an expert to assess their true worth. They’ll be tucked away in art galleries only to come to life under the illuminating gaze of an all-knowing art critic. And there are the treasures that are worn close to heart. Fitting onto a thumb-nail drive, they can be fitted in the back pocket of a brief-case as a carry-on luggage.

Ultimately, it all depends of what kind of a traveler through life you are…Do you travel lightly, or may be you have predisposition to leave the footprints deep in the ground out of being burdened by possessions ? ;)

Last edited:
•••
I am the 4th kind: <OBSESSED> with domain names because the 99% average is just not an option.
Yes I have LONG term investment domains, but daily I wake up excited about the calls and emails I am going to make to close deals and keep the wheels turning.
Just waiting for buyer to come along is no longer an option, unless you have ultra premium names and most of us don't!
The domain markets and space is rapidly changing so taking massive action daily is the only way to stay in the game at the top.
The Godaddy/Namejet/Snapnames/etc auctions are overcrowded compared to just last year, not to mention 5-8 years ago, so You must hustle, have grit and perseverance like never before....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back