Dynadot

Which Hosting Is better Linux or Windows?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Linux is the industry standard. But of course, you can have good and bad hosts no matter which OS a host's servers run on.

As for the host you quoted, "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth doesn't exist. What it means in practice is that after you use an un-defined amount, they'll suspend your hosting. Is that a risk you want to take?

•••
As already stated, it depends on the host more than the OS these days. You'll get many fanboy responses from both sides, and both OS have their merits. However, many websites are hosted on Linux for good reason including security, stability, and speed. The thing about Linux is that it doesn't requires the services of the Microsoft product running, so it often consumes fewer resources leaving more available. (Again, this will depend on the quality of the Systems Administrator more than anything.)

As far as unlimited goes, well, have you ever seen an unlimited drive or a computer with unlimited bays for an unlimited number of drives to be installed? I didn't think so.

•••
As far as you don't have any requirements for ASP or MSsql you can host your site in a linux server. And the OS preference is a personal one and some times dependent on requirements like above. Personally I love linux.

•••
I prefer Linux hosting because normally its cheaper and can run lot of free things.

•••
For me, I always preferred having Windows on my home or office computer. But I have always used Linux when it came to running a server. Not to say one is better than the other. They are both good platforms that have been around for quite some time. But I myself always felt Windows servers were more well known for running networks in the workplace. Linux servers have been much more common among web hosts probably because of the savings in cost. Think about it for a moment. You are a web host and you need to decide what platform you want. Windows or Linux? The Windows Server OS is rather pricey to begin with. Then you need to protect it with antivirus software. And because it's a "server", you cant just use any antivirus on it. It has to be antivirus software for "servers". That usually costs almost as much as the OS does. By the time your done doing the math, you will find that running Linux is a much better solution for the hosting company and would save you tons of money. That savings could then be passed onto the customers and they will greatly appreciate it. This is why you may often find Windows hosting plans more expensive than linux hosting plans.

So to answer your question, neither platform is probably better than the other. They are both good in stability. It is just moreso personal preference. As for one being faster than the other, Linux is less resource intensive. But if the server has tons of ram and a really good processor, it may not make to much difference anyways.

As for the web host, I would have to agree with everyone else. There is no such thing as unlimited space. You cannot go to the store and buy a hard drive with unlimited disk space on it. The plan should be advertised as unmetered space and bandwidth. Not unlimited. Unmetered means that you can use as much disk space and bandwidth as you want as long as it can be supplied. Saying that those items are unlimited means they are overselling which is never a very good thing in the hosting industry because you aren't getting what you paid for. I would suggest finding another host.

Last edited:
•••
For me, I always preferred having Windows on my home or office computer. But I have always used Linux when it came to running a server. Not to say one is better than the other. They are both good platforms that have been around for quite some time. But I myself always felt Windows servers were more well known for running networks in the workplace. Linux servers have been much more common among web hosts probably because of the savings in cost. Think about it for a moment. You are a web host and you need to decide what platform you want. Windows or Linux? The Windows Server OS is rather pricey to begin with. Then you need to protect it with antivirus software. And because it's a "server", you cant just use any antivirus on it. It has to be antivirus software for "servers". That usually costs almost as much as the OS does. By the time your done doing the math, you will find that running Linux is a much better solution for the hosting company and would save you tons of money. That savings could then be passed onto the customers and they will greatly appreciate it. This is why you may often find Windows hosting plans more expensive than linux hosting plans.

So to answer your question, neither platform is probably better than the other. They are both good in stability. It is just moreso personal preference. As for one being faster than the other, Linux is less resource intensive. But if the server has tons of ram and a really good processor, it may not make to much difference anyways.

As for the web host, I would have to agree with everyone else. There is no such thing as unlimited space. You cannot go to the store and buy a hard drive with unlimited disk space on it. The plan should be advertised as unmetered space and bandwidth. Not unlimited. Unmetered means that you can use as much disk space and bandwidth as you want as long as it can be supplied. Saying that those items are unlimited means they are overselling which is never a very good thing in the hosting industry because you aren't getting what you paid for. I would suggest finding another host.

Thanks everybody for your nice comments kindly tell me about webhostgiant.com? How is this hosting company? I have to build up some websites which are not heavy sites ! Like forums and company websites.

Regards.

•••
Are you just interested in the company or do you have any project you need to host in mind?
As for your initial question: what's preferrable Linux or Windows, I guess that commitment to the Open source always leaves you a greater choice of hosting providers and better pricing.

•••
no doubt linux. It get less affected by virus.

•••
You need to make choice according to your needs. If you need windows you need to chose this one if you need linux you need to chose linux. But as known linux can do the same as windows in the most cases.

•••
Want to add that webhostgiant.com is the company which has provided stable and reliable services which are the cheapest I have ever seen.
Start from their Linux. it's easier to use than Windows.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back