IT.COM

question Which extension for a domain redirection to an online shop? (exact match .com taken)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arca

Top Member
Impact
A friend of mine is running a shop selling clothes through the etsy.com marketplace. She wants to get a domain to redirect to her Etsy shop page, mainly to use on social media profiles. She is not planning to set up a shop outside of Etsy later, just to run her shop inside their marketplace, so the domain would never be used for anything more than a redirect. Her shop name is one word + ly, as an example I'll use "Clothesly" (not the actual shop name, just a similar example). Her current shop link is clothesly.etsy.com. The clothesly.com domain is taken and developed by a Chinese factory (website outdated not updated in 10 years, but the name is still being renewed). I have emailed and called them, but not been able to get any response, so this domain is not an option.

The following domains are available:

- Clothes.ly
- Clothesly.co
- Clothesly.net
- ClotheslyShop.com

Personally I think clothes.LY looks nice as an exact match url shortening "hack" for Clothesly, but I think many people will not "get" that .LY is a domain extension, or may go to the .COM. .CO would probably be perceived as a typo of .COM? .NET is less confusing than .CO and .LY, as people know that .NET is an extension, and it can't be seen as a typo for any other extension (though some would probably go to .com instead). ClotheslyShop.com has the .COM and looks better than clothesly.etsy.com, although it is only one character shorter.

Which of these domains would you recommend her to use?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Clothes.ly

It is also an exact match for the word "Clothes" and a great name

•••
clothes.ly, for sure! Who cares if ppl don't know it's an extension? she'll still be able to create hyperlinks out of it...

•••
Btw .ly is a very very popular extension. All the celebs and big companies on Twitter use it in their tweets as a link shortener. Thus proving that the world is aware of the extension.

•••
clothes.ly but only because your brand ends in 'ly'

•••
Yep #1 Clothes.ly for sure.

•••
Thanks for your input, guys.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back