IT.COM

Which dedicated server are you guys using ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi everyone !

I am planning to get a dedicated server for my sites and some of the clients I have. I'd want to get some feedback from you guys before I really go on purchasing the server. I currently have 1&1 server. It's quite good. But the only problem is face is of the control panel. I don't quite like Plesk and would want to go with cPanel.

Following information would be nice :

- Where did you buy your dedicated server from ?
- Is it self managed or managed ?
- How do you take care of Security issues, backup, DDoS prevention, etc. ?
- Any more useful tips ?
- Do you have 10 Mbps port or 100 Mbps port ? Does it make much of a difference ?

I currently have http://www.layeredtech.com/ in mind. But I am more keen on getting Managed server. I'll check out http://www.steadfastnetworks.com/ as well.

Thanks,
Pratik

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
servermatrix - little brother to the planet

sm faq:
Are your servers fully managed?
If you are referring to OS and security updates, the answer is yes. All ServerMatrix servers are fully managed. This includes network IDS, OS updates, security updates, monitoring, and more. See the full description here for details.

backup - i backup to another server
security issues - depends on the problem
ddos - datacenter do it

- Any more useful tips ?
keep it uptodate, read the logs, be ready for trouble

- Do you have 10 Mbps port or 100 Mbps port ? Does it make much of a difference ?
im running a 100mbps on one
10mbps on another
really depends on what your pushing trhough the server really, and how much bandwidth requires but ive never maxed out the 2 ports above forcontinuous amount of time.

•••
Most bought at auctions after net companys went bust.

self managed

a) Hardened security setting, regular security updates, various alert systems
b) Mirrored drives regularly backed up to an external storage unit via a pull

- Any more useful tips ?
Unless you have a lot of sites or need special features let someone else do all the work :)

2x100 Mbps. 10 wont cut it because it's on a 45 Mbps line.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back