domains When your brand is a misspell of a misspell things can get confusing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So I was watching tv the other day and saw a commercial for a company called Blooom. I was like wait three o's? Now of course the add an extra letter, misspell has been en vogue over the last 8 years. Fiverr.com probably the most famous example, then BrandBucket started accepting a lot of misspelled names. In their December newsletter BrandBucket listed misspells as 6% of all keyword related … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So I was watching tv the other day and saw a commercial for a company called Blooom. I was like wait three o's? Now of course the add an extra letter, misspell has been en vogue over the last 8 years. Fiverr.com probably the most famous example, then BrandBucket started accepting a lot of misspelled names. In their December newsletter BrandBucket listed misspells as 6% of all keyword related … [Read more...]
REALLY GREAT AND FUNNY ARTICLE, NICE JOB!

•••
I would say 'Blooom' is a pretty decent choice of brand, especially if one is looking for a short and catchy brand, accompanied by an affordable exact match '.com', as long as the other similarly pronounced brands offer different services, to avoid any confusion and esp. potential trademark infringement.
This sure beats using verb prefixes like 'Go','Get' or domains with 'Bloom' followed by services, like 'BloomDigital.com''BloomSolutions.com' etc.

And as for the brand 'Bloooom'(4 o's), it's just pushing it and comes off more as a cheap alternative.

I would say this technique works better with 'Zooom', as the additional 'O' is evocative of additional zoom,deeper insights,advancement or going the extra mile.
Picked up 'Zooom(.in)', which works as a domain hack as well, for the phrase 'Zoom In'.

Last edited:
•••
This is a name that can be helped by graphic presentation.

You want people to focus on and remember the number 3, so they notice there are three Os and remember that later.

Show all three Os in different colours, or make the one in the middle taller or above the others. Or even style the Os as flowers, or targets. Or group them in a triangle. Or put a $ symbol in each and have the three get taller as you go left to right - they are offering financial services. The vid on their site does keep repeating the phrase "with three Os" but the graphic treats all three Os the same.

If you search for Bloom Financial they are there but not top - there are a lot of financials services with domains starting with bloom.

•••
Here is one,

IMG_20190112_213220.png

•••
•••
Voice search is becoming a very important factor in both usage and SEO, therefore misspellings will continue to lose value.

•••
This sure beats using verb prefixes like 'Go','Get' or domains with 'Bloom' followed by services, like 'BloomDigital.com''BloomSolutions.com' etc.

Couldn't disagree more, I would take a prefix or a solid two word over a misspell anyday, especially with the proper spelling developed.

•••
Zooom and zoooom are registered.
Glooom and Gloooom are registered.
Dooom is registered.

But Doooom is available, quick- somebody register it.

•••
The value of misspelled domains plummeted years ago when google started correcting spell errors and saying "do you mean......." However blooom is a good name and exception as the spelling is not corrected however with a vast majority the spell correction is a big negative.

Even more damage to value is done with voice search getting more popular. I just used voice and was sent to bloom.com not blooom.com so the misspell market should continue to decline, imo. Many years ago before google corrections and voice search you could make good money parking misspelled names but no more.

Last edited:
•••
Personally I do not like companies that have created brands around names that have been misspelled.
It just looks unprofessional..
Some clubs and bars around Australia employ this tactic, a measure to be seen as cool and hip?..

•••
i really like names like this . Blooom ... glooom

but if its me, before i acquire blooom, i would make sure blom & bloom is available(within budget)

:cool names are sexy: :xf.laugh:

•••
Sometimes misspelled names with a double letter are good for the brands.

•••
Couldn't disagree more, I would take a prefix or a solid two word over a misspell anyday, especially with the proper spelling developed.
I disagree. Blooom is an actual brand that can be trademarked. GoBloom or GetBloom means nothing. BloomSolutions or any other generic suffix sounds like a small business. It really depends on what letter is added and where it is added which determines if its a good name or not.

•••
Personally I do not like companies that have created brands around names that have been misspelled.
It just looks unprofessional..
And they often end up buying the 'correct' spelling of their name.

Losing traffic is bad enough, but misdirected E-mail is another concern.

•••
I disagree. Blooom is an actual brand that can be trademarked. GoBloom or GetBloom means nothing. BloomSolutions or any other generic suffix sounds like a small business. It really depends on what letter is added and where it is added which determines if its a good name or not.

The general public could care less about a tm, it's a horrible decision in naming when the other company is developed imo. The confusion factor outweighs the fact it could be tm'ed, I will always take a two worder over that terrible decision.

Add in it's much easier to phish, and when I ask a voice search app it always takes me to Bloom.com.

Guess what Bloooom.com can be tm'ed too and that's even more of a bad choice IMO.

Last edited:
•••
The general public could care less about a tm, it's a horrible decision in naming when the other company is developed imo. The confusion factor outweighs the fact it could be tm'ed, I will always take a two worder over that terrible decision.

Add in it's much easier to phish, and when I ask a voice search app it always takes me to Bloom.com.

Guess what Bloooom.com can be tm'ed too and that's even more of a bad choice IMO.
I don't agree. When the correct spelling is developed in a totally different niche it doesn't matter. If I come across a beauty website when I'm supposed to be at a finance website then I know I'm in the wrong place.

•••
I don't agree. When the correct spelling is developed in a totally different niche it doesn't matter. If I come across a beauty website when I'm supposed to be at a finance website then I know I'm in the wrong place.

Well then we disagree because I don't see one valid point in the decision to go with the same sounding misspell of a word, especially in a world that will tend to see more and more voice search happening.

•••
Well then we disagree because I don't see one valid point in the decision to go with the same sounding misspell of a word, especially in a world that will tend to see more and more voice search happening.
So based on that thought the names Jett, Boxx, Linq, Stakk, Digg, Floww all suck?

•••
So based on that thought the names Jett, Boxx, Linq, Stakk, Digg, Floww all suck?

They are not three in a row of the same letter like Blooom, which I believe also makes the eyes take a double take.

The names added don't suck not fantastic either, although in the modern world not great when people are asking Siri and Alexa to take them some place. There is a reason Fiverr eventually acquired Fiver.com.

I don't mind a Jett but to keep it line with Blooom and Bloooom, we would be looking at Jettt and Jetttt.

•••

Last edited:
•••
They are not three in a row of the same letter like Blooom, which I believe also makes the eyes take a double take.

The names added don't suck not fantastic either, although in the modern world not great when people are asking Siri and Alexa to take them some place. There is a reason Fiverr eventually acquired Fiver.com.

I don't mind a Jett but to keep it line with Blooom and Bloooom, we would be looking at Jettt and Jetttt.
Fiverr acquired Fiver.com because they got 60 million in fresh funding and said WTF let's buy Fiver.com. We have to spend this money on something our investors think is a good idea.

•••
Bit confuse with dribbble.com

•••

The positive I see is it is short and memorable. Six letters, one syllable.

Lots of negatives. The problem I see is people will search for Bloom + whatever keyword they associate with it, and for that to work it has to be the main result in that search, at least for the most important term or terms.

Could be good for branding and graphics but it's not like they are going to put it packages in the supermarket for this kind of product. We don't know how they go about attracting customers - do you think they researched this?

•••
Fiverr acquired Fiver.com because they got 60 million in fresh funding and said WTF let's buy Fiver.com. We have to spend this money on something our investors think is a good idea.

Whether they have the money or not, look at the motivation behind spending for the correct spelling. They understood the issue with the original spelling and decided that given their brand and business growth, it was a good move to acquire the correct spelling.

•••
Back