Dynadot

When You DELETE a THREAD

NameSilo
Watch

DU

Secret SantaTop Member
Impact
How about a reason?

Why is a thread that has 15+ posts in it suddenly totally REMOVED. Totally DELETED.

No SIGN.
No MSG.
No Rationale.

No Hint!

This is happening MORE AND MORE and it is frustrating. There is NO indication of WHO deleted it or why

I've had this happen on a number of occasions. I have complained and I get told - just ask a mod why it was deleted. I've then sent notes to "mods" who don't know unless I can tell them the TITLE of the POST and the original Poster?

Guess what? It was deleted so I don't know!

The mods of .TV certainly are NOT logging on once a day so I know it's not them either: 2 Mods are listed and one hasn't been on today and the other not for over 3 weeks!

So who is the new Mod?
I'm guessing it was ~mm~ but who knows... the rate she deletes/give points over there she should be listed as a mod.

If you delete a post it MUST BE MARKED DELETED with a reason WHY and by WHO.

I've had one post deleted where I spend time writing a considered appraisal in an appraisal thread. It got deleted. Blademaster at least said he would try to find it if I could remember the "OP"...

Today another .TV thread. Vanished.

If you disagree with a POST why does the entire THREAD go with it?

It's PATHETIC that a FORUM would allow MODS to just DELETE threads with NO WARNING without RECOURSE.

I mean PATHETIC.. the MODS have it tough - there's no doubt. It's thankless - no doubt.. but just deleting ENTIRE THREADS for no real reason doesn't do ANYTHING to endear them to anyone.

So - as I am here. Who deleted the Best Bargain Thread in .TV subforum.. and WHY?

:bah:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
bargain thread???

Which one was that?
Whose thread was it JC?

Byy The Way - AWESOME Signature!
Coming Soon. Shrub.TV. A Video Site about a Shrub.
:lol:

Last edited:
•••
Was .PRO the best bargain of 2010?

Where I discuss the future of Shrub.TV with the Snoop.

•••
So who is the new Mod?
I'm guessing it was ~mm~ but who knows... the rate she deletes/give points over there she should be listed as a mod.
It was me thank you very much, and when points are given,
they are more than deserved....just cause YOU don't think so,
tough - how many did you get for blatantly hijacking someone
else's thread? Eh? :o

For starters. you took someone else's thread
and started discussing your own domain in the middle of it?? what's that about?
It wasn't even a "general" type thread - it was a specific.
Is that ok when someone says, hey - my thread is now about someone else's domain?? Are you kidding?

and it wasn't a .pro thread...it was a .tv thread
about pro.tv - not shrub.tv

and I did post a reply IN THE THREAD....
I didn't want to delete the posts, and I stated that.
So I buried it, and it was restorable - the thread, not your posts-

Just cause you didn't see it - doesn't mean you get to
come here and accuse the mods of deleteing your threads.

This is happening MORE AND MORE and it is frustrating. There is NO indication of WHO deleted it or why
It is frustrating...
It only happens when people take threads off topic for their own
purpose, when people post names for sale/appraisal they
don' t own. etc

you think that's fair? If it was your thread someone did that to,
you would be all over the report button....

Just check your posts...it's there...

and when a thread or post disappears, just take a look and I'd
bet you can figure out your own answer instead of slamming us...again.

•••
So who is the new Mod?

So quick :|

As you know this was not the case in fact I have just spent 14 hours working in A&E :(

•••
So quick :|

As you know this was not the case in fact I have just spent 14 hours working in A&E :(

My apologies. This was the one part of my note I regret. I should NEVER have named anyone that I didn't know.

I'm sorry for this. Sometimes I'm an idiot.

•••
My apologies. This was the one part of my note I regret. I should NEVER have named anyone that I didn't know.

I'm sorry for this. Sometimes I'm an idiot.

LOL

We all are sometimes.
People are just much cooler who can admit it like you and I! :)

By the way,
I just wanted to hijack THIS thread and say The NFL's BEST Football team - The Chicago Bears are up 14 - 3 right now!

HA!

•••
It was me thank you very much, and when points are given,
they are more than deserved....just cause YOU don't think so,
tough - how many did you get for blatantly hijacking someone
else's thread? Eh? :o

For starters. you took someone else's thread
and started discussing your own domain in the middle of it?? what's that about?

The subject of the thread was “Was Pro.TV the best bargain of 2010”.

My post was that Shrub.TV was, at -$6, a better bargain. This is, as far as I’m concerned, on topic. Perhaps not in a serious, never be light-hearted kind of way... but it was definitely on topic. Was it reported as off topic?

It wasn't even a "general" type thread - it was a specific.
Is that ok when someone says, hey - my thread is now about someone else's domain?? Are you kidding?
The subject of the thread was “best bargain” and not “Pro.TV” - if I had mentioned that I actually thought that “Swap.TV” or “Drug.TV” were BOTH better buys... that a few others were MUCH better.. would that have been off topic? If I had said that PAIN.TV (currently at Sedo - was 10x better deal) would that have been off topic?

and I did post a reply IN THE THREAD....
I didn't want to delete the posts, and I stated that.
So I buried it, and it was restorable - the thread, not your posts-
I did not see this because it was not in the .TV subforum view
The post I made is no longer listed under “My Posts”.

Where do I look to see said comments in the thread?

Just cause you didn't see it - doesn't mean you get to
come here and accuse the mods of deleteing your threads.
If I don’t see it and it’s not where it was and all the normal links to it are gone. How do I find it? Where is it?

When I click on “My Posts” and its not there.. and I click on .TV subforum and it’s not there. WHERE do I look? In my world, from my point of view, it’s deleted. Perhaps I should ask - “Who moves the threads into a recoverable state somewhere where I can’t access or see them?” or “Who moves the threads into a recoverable state somewhere where I can’t don't know how to find them without any real obvious link or reference somewhere obvious?”. Assume that I don't know how vBulletin or whatever works.

It is frustrating...
It only happens when people take threads off topic for their own
purpose, when people post names for sale/appraisal they
don' t own. etc

I question whether it was off topic. I wouldn’t even have minded if you deleted my post and explained why. Where do I find the post? Where do I see the explanation? 

I don’t agree with your definition of off-topic.

you think that's fair? If it was your thread someone did that to,
you would be all over the report button....
I rarely report posts. I used to report Jxxx because he was making the forum SO UNENJOYABLE that people were leaving. His posts were NEVER on topic but in the vaguest terms - the response? Jxxx is on topic.. yet most of us in .TV that actively posted disagreed. I also reported what I thought was TRUE spam.

Just check your posts...it's there...
I clicked on “My posts” - and it’s not there.

and when a thread or post disappears, just take a look and I'd
bet you can figure out your own answer instead of slamming us...again.
Take a look where? 

I still think points should be transparent. If someone posts a post that is “point worthy” - why not add a comment and flag it as 5 pts received?

It’s all cloaked and shadowy. There is no recourse. There is no way to discuss in a mature manner.I would like for another mod to review my post and see, if in their opinion, it was off topic.

I would ask :

What was the topic?
What was the subject of my post?

Bu the issue is bigger. I’ve had an appraisal that I wrote disappear because, I believe, I didn’t say “these domains are awesome”.
It’s nothing personal.

I don’t think that it’s always a mod conspiracy; however, sometimes judgments ARE not clear and the level of recourse, the level of transparency is not there.

Maybe you don’t understand. Maybe RJ doesn’t care. (I know you both do)

The point is that when you have a forum there are rules, there are rules enforcers. There are those that blatantly break rules (scammers, spammers etc).. there are those who trying to be lighthearted break rules, there are those who accidentally break rules, there are those who don’t understand draconian interpretation of some rules and the lack of enforcement of others.

All I know is that (a) Something disappears - though you tell me it hasn’t and that (b) I don’t know by who or why. I tried to (c) communicate through PM to an admin on the prior deletion like I was told to do ... and they said they couldn’t help with the WHY or WHO because it wasn’t them that deleted it.

I don’t know why you think this was an attack. It was a request for TRANSPARENCY from the moderators. My last request for this got how many responses on the Subject?

//I apologized to ~mm~ coz that was out of order.

Post was responded with:

Contact a moderator. (Tried didn't work)
Moderation is hard. (Yes, it is. If running a forum were easy... someone would start another one)
Delete is better than closed so it doesn’t “hang around” (I agreed sometimes)
Then the thread was taken “off topic” by someone else and you responded to them with an explanation including that it “would have been closed if it was relevant” - (no I didn’t report you for Off Topic discussion)

No one actually really discussed “deleted threads” and courtesy of notification at all - even when I suggested people were leaving the forum..

I would say that I’ve posted on at least 5 deleted threads in the last 2-3 months. At least 3 of those my post was well before the thread “vanished” so it would be nice to know why things happen.

Censorship on a forum is a GREAT thing... but if not done transparently it can also be a TERRIBLE thing.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

By the way,
I just wanted to hijack THIS thread and say The NFL's BEST Football team - The Chicago Bears are up 14 - 3 right now!

HA!

Not bad considering that I think the over under on "Points Scored This Week vs Sacks Taken last week was -3"

Last edited:
•••
How about letting users moderate their own threads? Is this technically possible with vbulletin?

This would make the job of moderators much easier.

We would like to delete messages too.

•••
JC,

You said something that is very relative here.

You reported Jeffs Posts because so many times they were off topic, or spam-ish. Seems we were all gettting quite a bit frustrated at that time.

Well, This is SO similar.

Any positive conversation about .TV at all, and in come snoop to say something shitty once again, then it becomes a debate about whatever he just said from that member (sometimes me, sometimes you and snoop, etc)

Well, I believe that is why these threads get kicked to the curb.

Snoop hits a nerve, we bite, then derailed!

???
my 2 cents.

Oh by the way...
Bears up 24 - 3 now!!!
(hold on that last td is under review)...

take that everyone else! :)

•••
The subject of the thread was “Was Pro.TV the best bargain of 2010”.

My post was that Shrub.TV was, at -$6, a better bargain. This is, as far as I’m concerned, on topic. Perhaps not in a serious, never be light-hearted kind of way... but it was definitely on topic. Was it reported as off topic?

The subject of the thread was “best bargain” and not “Pro.TV” - if I had mentioned that I actually thought that “Swap.TV” or “Drug.TV” were BOTH better buys... that a few others were MUCH better.. would that have been off topic? If I had said that PAIN.TV (currently at Sedo - was 10x better deal) would that have been off topic?
The title of the thread was
Pro.tv for $2700 Bargain of 2010?

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

How about letting users moderate their own threads? Is this technically possible with vbulletin?

This would make the job of moderators much easier.

We would like to delete messages too.

That's too funny....

•••
The title of the thread was Pro.tv for $2700 Bargain of 2010?

The quotes was supposed to indicate guess not exact title - I'm not the first to use poor grammar on a forum :)

Again. I would have looked up the Title but I don't know where it is to get it.

My answer was no.

Shrub.TV at -$6 was a better bargain.

Can we clarify here why that that is off topic?

Your response doesn't address my subject either but highlights it. when you delete a thread.... where are the links to it?

I am not going to report you for being off topic :)

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

The title of the thread was

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

That's too funny....

But if you had "ratings" that might help.

-10 flag it as "useless" post.
+10 flag it as "superior" post.

Mods could easily scan for posts that were -10 or less. Might help. Adds transparency. Adds overall community concensus aspect to the whole thing.

But this is all off topic - using the STRICT definition (interesting nonetheless.)

Why isn't there a link/notice/information regarding what appear to be deleted threads? I can't find them.

Last edited:
•••
You can't see this thread?
http://www.namepros.com/679376-pro-tv-for-2700-bargain-2010-a-2.html#post3952957

and the title/thread was a discussion about PRO.TV - being a bargain

not 2 pages and 6 quiet days later about shrub.tv
the last 4 posts were about your domain, you should have started a thread of your own?

Your last post in the thread
"FINALLY.

The subject of the thread is bargain of 2007. Please stay on topic.

That is NOT the subject of the thread, if it was it wouldn't have started with PRO.TV

•••
I can't see that thread, says:

"JB Lions, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Generally, lets say I start a thread. If I have a problem with something somebody posted and report it, then a mod should step in and handle it.

If there are posts in threads a mod feels go off topic or are a problem. Delete the post (with a reason), never the thread.

•••
defaultuser, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

IF I even knew where the LINK came from.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote:
"FINALLY.

The subject of the thread is bargain of 2007. Please stay on topic.

That is NOT the subject of the thread, if it was it wouldn't have started with PRO.TV

2007 - where was my head at?

The THREAD was deleted. Along with - as I mentioned - 15 or so other comments... with no link, no reference, no notice, somewhere I cannot see it.

I concur with JB.

Delete the post with a reason. Leave the thread alone.

I'm sure Equity would rather the thread stay without my and Snoop's comment than be deleted completely.

Even if I disagree with what constitutes OFF Topic

Last edited:
•••
I'm not concerned about what equity would like done with the thread.. That's not the issue.

I was quite willing to delete the 4 posts and leave the thread, but we'd
have ended up here anyway...that is why it wasn't deleted, just buried
and quite restorable.

You keep insinuating it wasn't off topic IT WAS ABOUT PRO.TV (NO QUOTES IN TITLE) not SHRUB.TV

How is that not off topic? Please explain?

•••
I'm not concerned about what equity would like done with the thread.. That's not the issue.

So someone's thread can be deleted because someone in the thread posted something off topic. I would have thought that seemed unfair to the OP who has done nothing wrong. I would love to hear RJ or NPQ's opinion on that particular statement to know if that's in the "moderator handbook".

I was quite willing to delete the 4 posts and leave the thread, but we'd
have ended up here anyway...that is why it wasn't deleted, just buried
and quite restorable.
You were quite willing to delete the 4 posts and leave the thread.

Yet the thread is deleted?

Buried and restorable? What does that mean? I can't see it.

You keep insinuating it wasn't off topic IT WAS ABOUT PRO.TV (NO QUOTES IN TITLE) not SHRUB.TV
How is that not off topic? Please explain?

Title:
Pro.tv for $2700 Bargain of 2010?

My Answer:
No. Shrub.TV at -$6 was a better bargain.

I believe this is on topic, even if not altogether serious.

Alternative Answer:
No. Drug.TV was a better deal.
No. Swap.TV was a better deal.
No. Pain.TV IS a better deal.

All those were equally as relevant and could have been posted in a more serious way. Would THOSE have been off topic?

Is the amount of seriousness/levity now a indicator of relevance?

Where can we CONTEST these decisions? That was another topical item we've overlooked.

BUT ONCE AGAIN:

The TOPIC for THIS THREAD is neither PRO.TV or SHRUB.TV

It's WHY ARE THREADS DELETED AND NO INFORMATION PROVIDED AS TO WHY OR WHERE TO SEE THEM?

And I think we can see that we CANNOT see them despite you stating that I can.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

I would mention the exact title of the appraisal thread that was deleted also (it was on 3d domains from shagxxx or something) but I can't find/see that either.

•••
and yes, if a thread goes off topic, sometimes it is best deleted - not the case with this one.

Ok, To solve the problem about no notice of deleted threads,

the only way to make the point and let everyone see
why their posts are deleted is to issue proper infractions EVERYTIME there is a deletion. No more passes...or PM's
reminding you/them.
and they have you to thank. for bringing this up and insisting
we send a notice. not knowing why your post was deleted
instead of figuring it out for yourself

Instead of the "oops sorry I made a mistake :red:" posts
no more freebie mistakes, for anyone ... That way you get a notice every single time and there will be
no question as to why it was deleted. I don't have a problem
doing this. So don't complain when you get one ;)

as for equity's thread, I don't have a problem restoring it
that's why I didn't "delete" it
I was waiting for you to start your own thread (which I posted)
and I would have moved the relevant posts over.

But no probs, I'll delete them at your request.

appraisal thread?? what now? If it's not your thread, we don't have to tell you
why we removed it...

•••
"Buried and restorable? What does that mean? I can't see it."

I think it means it was moved to the mod forum or something like that. So restorable in that somebody can move it back in "public". But to you and me, it's "deleted" since we can't see it or access it, only mods and admin can.

•••
and yes, if a thread goes off topic, sometimes it is best deleted - not the case with this one.

But yet it was and the only way anything changes is if someone asks why...

Ok, To solve the problem about no notice of deleted threads,
the only way to make the point and let everyone see
why their posts are deleted is to issue proper infractions EVERYTIME there is a deletion. No
more passes...or PM's reminding you/them.

No. This is a ultra defensive posture. Why not delete post and have a choice of delete reason:

Off Topic Points +2
Nasty Language. +2
Off Topic. Warning Only.

etc. We can see it was deleted and why. No points unless really warranted..

With regard to infractions it only works if EVERYONE sees the infractions and that those infractions CAN BE reviewed. With that kind of a system - it would be clear what and why things are infractions and how generous mods can be etc.

as for equity's thread, I don't have a problem restoring it
that's why I didn't "delete" it
I was waiting for you to start your own thread (which I posted)
and I would have moved the relevant posts over.

But no probs, I'll delete them at your request.
From my point of view it was deleted. How was I supposed to see this post?

appraisal thread?? what now? If it's not your thread, we don't have to tell you
why we removed it...

Great. So this will encourage posters how?

New NP rule. Post comments on a thread but be aware that NP mods can totally wipe out the thread on the actions of someone else without recourse.

The point I am making is that when a THREAD gets deleted it should be clear why. Just vanishing from everywhere (from my POV) is not acceptable for a open forum IMHO.
You’re not really the person to answer these questions. I think RJ and NPQ need to tell me to shut up.. or Eric to tell me that it’s too hard with vBulletin.

You’ve resolved THIS ONE THREAD regarding Pro.TV. Not my other appraisal thread. Nor the main subject.

How is that threads can be deleted without recourse and without any notification - even to the Thread Originator.

OT: I still don’t see that my response was Off Topic. Was it ?

Last edited:
•••
No. This is a ultra defensive posture. Why not delete post and have a choice of delete reason:

Off Topic Points +2
Nasty Language. +2
Off Topic. Warning Only.
we have those, they are called infractions...we try not to give them
out - as many of you know and I didn't realize you couldn't see that thread
I've had dealings in there before and the members were posting in it without
any problems.

and I don't know what appraisal thread you mean, I can't find one with shagxxxx

•••
I am glad to see this dialog. I would like some answers too regarding my JesusChrist name disappearing from the high priced cctld section after being in there for 2+ days. It was approved by one mod, then sent to the graveyard by another.

I believe this falls into line with some of the concerns voiced by the OP.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian not sure how far back to look, but I just looked
through your profile to see what I can find about the
thread and all I can see is this thread here
- and it's active...
http://www.namepros.com/domains-for-sale-make-offer/680344-jesuschrist-me.html#post3947505.

There was another thread that was not approved for the
High Priced Domain forum, but nothing else moved or deleted.
If it goes back further than end of Aug, let me know which
one in particular and I'll take a look.
--------------------------------------
Anytime anyone wants to know what happened to their threads,
please just PM one of us. We'll see what we can find.
---------------------------------------

defaultuser, I found the 3d thread you were talking about,
nothing to do with the topic. You should be able to see what's wrong with it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back