IT.COM

Deleted Posts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DU

Secret SantaTop Member
Impact
Isn't it courteous to indicate to the poster WHY their post was deleted versus just taking it away?

This is true even if the thread is removed and the post was not the OP.

I've had a number of posts "vanish" with no reason?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is there a specific post you are referring to? The moderators do a lot of work here to keep the forum running smoothly, if you have an issue with a post being removed you should contact the moderator at the time the post was removed.

•••
No specific post - but I've read a lot about posts being deleted. I read about it on OTHER forums.

It really makes people annoyed and think of conspiracy theories.

If instead of deleting a thread without notice - it would be nice if there was a delete reason that was visible to all.

I know you all are busy = perhaps this is something you could build easily.

You hit a DELETE REASON and it closes the thread adds a reason. Sometimes having the thread remain serves as something to look at as to what to avoid in the future.

•••
No specific post - but I've read a lot about posts being deleted. I read about it on OTHER forums.

It really makes people annoyed and think of conspiracy theories.

If instead of deleting a thread without notice - it would be nice if there was a delete reason that was visible to all.

I know you all are busy = perhaps this is something you could build easily.

You hit a DELETE REASON and it closes the thread adds a reason. Sometimes having the thread remain serves as something to look at as to what to avoid in the future.

As to making deleted threads visible to everyone what would be the difference between a closed thread and a deleted thread?

•••
Isn't it courteous to indicate to the poster WHY their post was deleted versus just taking it away?

Anytime a post "vanish's" please feel free to contact one of us to find out why.
There is always a reason, whether the poster agrees with it is another story.

Most of the time the poster knows why the post was removed anyway, and knew it would
be removed before it was even posted.

The conspiracy theory rumours are those of the poster, based on the intent of the thread.
What could be the conspiracy?

Threads/posts that could get Namepros sued if left up, will be deleted.

•••
As to making deleted threads visible to everyone what would be the difference between a closed thread and a deleted thread?

None. But sometimes I wonder if threads deleted would be better left closed.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Anytime a post "vanish's" please feel free to contact one of us to find out why.
There is always a reason, whether the poster agrees with it is another story.

Most of the time the poster knows why the post was removed anyway, and knew it would
be removed before it was even posted.

The conspiracy theory rumours are those of the poster, based on the intent of the thread.
What could be the conspiracy?

Threads/posts that could get Namepros sued if left up, will be deleted.

I assume there's a reason. Sometimes I'm just curious. I will PM in the future if it's one I really care about. Thanks. Just thought you should know when a NUMBER of posts get deleted it does get discussed elsewhere and people do consider the impartiality of the mods.

Could you have been sued by my Frank Schilling post? I thought finding junk names in his portfolio would be fun. The dude has 200K names worth millions.. we can poke fun at some of the garbage he collected by accident or carried along on mass buys along the way ?

•••
No, threads deleted shouldn't just be closed. They can still get indexed and when you delete something, you want it gone, not hanging around in cyberspace for an indeterminate period of time.

Most deletions can be put down to the poster ignoring forum rules. It's never personal, nor is there some conspiracy/agenda behind any of it.

Believe me, with the number of members on the forum, each being individualistic, we don't even get time to ponder on who the poster is, the call is usually made on the content of the post / thread and/or reports about it by other members. Anyone telling you otherwise, specially on another board, is just overplaying their own importance, or lack thereof.

•••
No, threads deleted shouldn't just be closed. They can still get indexed and when you delete something, you want it gone, not hanging around in cyberspace for an indeterminate period of time.

Most deletions can be put down to the poster ignoring forum rules. It's never personal, nor is there some conspiracy/agenda behind any of it.

Believe me, with the number of members on the forum, each being individualistic, we don't even get time to ponder on who the poster is, the call is usually made on the content of the post / thread and/or reports about it by other members. Anyone telling you otherwise, specially on another board, is just overplaying their own importance, or lack thereof.

Understand. This makes sense. I don't think like a moderator or a forum owner. I don't believe the conspiracy theories because every time I *have* asked the mod I've received a friendly response.

I once got 5 pts for a violation - but had it reversed because you're not all robotic clones.

Appreciate the responses. I guess I'll just have to post on threads that don't get deleted ! :lol:

•••

I had a post "vanish" recently too, lol. Then, the thread was closed so I couldn't re-post.

•••
I had a post "vanish" recently too, lol. Then, the thread was closed so I couldn't re-post.

Let's be realistic here....You commented in an old thread, in response to someone else's post - about someone else
who had posted in an old thread...

It's always best to ignore trolling.

the thread was closed...because it's an old thread - and if there was some kind of point
to your post, it would have been closed with the post still there.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back