IT.COM

When shopping for registrar...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
...What, other than price & support, do you take into account?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Customer reviews, and how long they've been in business

•••
Full/robust bulk domain modification controls. You'd think this would be a given, but not all registrars have this feature. Google Domains, I'm talking about you. :xf.laugh: Same goes for WhoIs.com.

Might not be a huge deal if you don't plan on having many domains with a particular registrar.

Last edited:
•••
It’s popularity. In my case, I use GoDaddy because, in my experience, about 8 out of 10 endusers already have an account there and 10 out of 10 at least know GoDaddy. This increases trust and helps me close more sales.

GoDaddy isn’t necessarily the best registrar. I may even prefer NameSilo, but my preference is irrelevant if my sales stats point in a different direction.

Last edited:
•••
It’s popularity. In my case, I use GoDaddy because, in my experience, about 8 out of 10 endusers already have an account there and 10 out of 10 at least know GoDaddy. This increases trust and helps me close more sales.

GoDaddy isn’t necessarily the best registrar. I may even prefer NameSilo, but my preference is irrelevant if my sales stats point in a different direction.

exactly what i was going to say - if you are actively selling to end users, best to go with a register that is widely known and used

•••
I would rate 1) Good Control Panel (flexible, complete features, easy to use), 2) Good Support, 3) Price, 4) Domainer friendly, in that order, but must have all 4 rated highly. 1) would also cover API and bulk modifications, which others have mentioned. I don't give a damn about popularity (else we'd all be using GoDaddy). It's a bit more of a pain transferring a domain to GoDaddy than pushing a domain to another account at GoDaddy. Especially with somebody who has never done it before. I would also say that GoDaddy is one of the least Domainer friendly registers I've ever come across. It's all about the sales and upsales at GoDaddy. Awful experience.

•••
Nobody mentioned security yet ? And trustworthiness.

•••

Oh!.... I forgot them. Sorry. 5. Security, 6. Trustworthiness. Maybe even;7. Reputation within the domainer community (excl GoDaddy) :)

•••

I think this is why I stay as far away from Network Solutions as a registrar as I can...cough, cough!

If there's anything I've learned from perusing these NP forums, there seems to be a history of major "mishaps" involving them.

•••
•••
•••
•••

exactly what i was going to say - if you are actively selling to end users, best to go with a register that is widely known and used
How does end user having an account with and/or knowledge of GoDaddy, help with sales?

•••
Where do you find customer reviews that you trust?

Exactly. I don't read positive reviews any more. I look for the absence of legitimate negative reviews.

•••
I would rate 1) Good Control Panel (flexible, complete features, easy to use), 2) Good Support, 3) Price, 4) Domainer friendly, in that order, but must have all 4 rated highly. 1) would also cover API and bulk modifications, which others have mentioned. I don't give a damn about popularity (else we'd all be using GoDaddy). It's a bit more of a pain transferring a domain to GoDaddy than pushing a domain to another account at GoDaddy. Especially with somebody who has never done it before. I would also say that GoDaddy is one of the least Domainer friendly registers I've ever come across. It's all about the sales and upsales at GoDaddy. Awful experience.

Oh!.... I forgot them. Sorry. 5. Security, 6. Trustworthiness. Maybe even;7. Reputation within the domainer community (excl GoDaddy) :)
1-3 and 5-7 all seem to be a bit “Domainer friendly”. That said, what would you consider to be?

•••
•••
Exactly. I don't read positive reviews any more. I look for the absence of legitimate negative reviews.
(y) Where do read reviews?

•••
•••
•••
1-3 and 5-7 all seem to be a bit “Domainer friendly”. That said, what would you consider to be?

What would I consider to be what? Domainer friendly? All of them, need to be domainer friendly. For example. GoDaddy are hardly domainer friendly in any of these categories. Locking domains for 60 days after a push. Is definitely NOT domainer friendly. Their up-selling is NOT domainer friendly. You cannot trust GoDaddy to NOT close your account (without any reason, and with no possibility of appeal).

•••
Locking domains for 60 days after a push. Is definitely NOT domainer friendly. Their up-selling is NOT domainer friendly. You cannot trust GoDaddy to NOT close your account (without any reason, and with no possibility of appeal).

I'm not a big Godaddy fan myself but they don't lock your domain for 60 days anymore.

Anyway, most important to me is security and trustworthiness. Bulk editing is a big pro as well.

•••
I'm not a big Godaddy fan myself but they don't lock your domain for 60 days anymore.

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm this before I stop asking sellers to push the domain without any ownership changes? (I think I have three currently sitting in my account owned by somebody else) So I'd just like to be double sure that I don't need to do this anymore. When did GoDaddy change this, exactly?

•••
Not sure when they changed this but they lock it for transfers for 10 days if I recall correctly. Usually I don't transfer away that soon after a push/contact update so not 100% sure about the 10 days. There was a thread about this here on NP I think.

•••
Thanks. Can anyone else confirm this before I stop asking sellers to push the domain without any ownership changes? (I think I have three currently sitting in my account owned by somebody else) So I'd just like to be double sure that I don't need to do this anymore. When did GoDaddy change this, exactly?

i do have several godaddy accounts, as far as my experience, when the domain already sitting in my account all i have to do just update the whois contact, there will be pop up confirmation asking about the 60 days lock, just opt it out. If you got caught by random security check, the worst were only clicking the email confirmation.

sometimes we meet ignorant domainer who push the domain by optin (activating) the 60days lock and we were trapped on it...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back