Domain Empire

When do domains move to GoDaddy Closeout?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Couldn't find this info in NP search so I'm asking this simple question. At what time of the day (US time) do domains move to Closeout if there is no bid in the expiring auction? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,
Currently is it in auction with a min bid of 10$ ?
If no one bid on it until the end of the auction, it should go to the Closeouts (9$)

•••
I may be wrong but from my understanding, domain appears in closeouts after its auction ends without any bids, there might be some minutes delay. But if it doesnt appear on closeouts, then possiblity is previous owner renewed the domain or someone beat you to it and bought the domain.

•••
Couldn't find this info in NP search so I'm asking this simple question. At what time of the day (US time) do domains move to Closeout if there is no bid in the expiring auction? Thanks.
Usually within a few minutes after the auction closes. It's never exactly the same.
That being said it has fluctuated quite a bit as there was a stretch where it was hours later.

Hello,
Currently is it in auction with a min bid of 10$ ?
If no one bid on it until the end of the auction, it should go to the Closeouts (9$)
$10 are bids from backorders. Most standard opening bids are $12.
First day of closeouts are $11 .. following day $10 .. then $9 .. then $8 .. then $5 .. then it's gone!
(Check out my daily closeouts list at NameCult to get an idea of what's available)

... But if it doesnt appear on closeouts, then possiblity is previous owner renewed the domain or someone beat you to it and bought the domain.
I'd say that the chances a renewal happens in between auction and closeout is effectively zero.
But yes .. there are bots who snipe closeouts .. so if you don't absolutely need the domain then you can take a chance ... however .. if you absolutely MUST have the domain then you should really consider bidding on it at $12 and then take your chances and hope nobody else bids on it or that it doesn't go too far above your budget.

Last edited:
•••
Usually within a few minutes after the auction closes. It's never exactly the same.
That being said it has fluctuated quite a bit as there was a stretch where it was hours later.
So there is no such thing a fresh batch of Closeout domains at $11 that I can go and check everyday? I can use ExpiredDomains.net to give me a list of Closeout domains at $11 everyday, which I assumed would be the fresh batch, but depending on the time of the day I check, sometimes I find the same domains are still there the next day.

•••
I believe they don't do it once a day, but a few times
As of ExpiredDomains I don't know how often they update their data

•••
... but depending on the time of the day I check, sometimes I find the same domains are still there the next day.

I'm guessing they likely only update their list once a day (I don't use ExpiredDomains so I really can't say for sure) .. otherwise it would be a very resource intensive process and also likely get them blocked from GoDaddy for hammering their servers too hard.

All that said .. you should really be using my lists at NameCult and here at NamePros (links in my signature)! lol ;)

You can also go to my Auctions list for that day and try some of the ones listed there with zero bids. Obviously a portion of them will be gone .. but there's always between about 100 and 200 each day.

I'm still trying to figure out when best to post my list .. for the closeout list I usually try to post it at NameCult at 9am Eastern Time (Montreal, New York) .. but that's definitely subject to change .. and there are days when I'm not finished by 9am so I post it as soon as I can. (Today's will be up at 9am Eastern Time)

Last edited:
•••
you should really be using my lists at NameCult a
I had a look at your list. Thanks for you hard work. Currently, for the filter I set up, ExpiredDomains.net gives me about 5,000 domains everyday listing at $11 (which I understand is the first day of Closeout). I like studying "raw" data. I see that your list is much smaller. Is it because you have curated it?

•••
The closeouts list on ExpiredDomains.net is updated every hour (new domains added, sold domains removed).

•••
I had a look at your list. Thanks for you hard work. Currently, for the filter I set up, ExpiredDomains.net gives me about 5,000 domains everyday listing at $11 (which I understand is the first day of Closeout). I see that your list is much smaller. Is it because you have curated it?
There are actually about 50,000 domains that go to expiration auctions each day these days .. the vast majority are total garbage .. so only about 3% get sold. So I'm not sure why ExpiredDomains only has about 5000?

As for my lists .. yes .. definitely MANUALLY curated .. I obviously skip through various parts of the list (20 character .mobi for example .. lol), but I go through many thousands of domains each day to build the auction lists. I can say with relative confidence that there isn't another person who manually goes through the lists every day as deeply and thoroughly as I do! The last day I missed was last July when my condo flooded .. and even then I think I might have done the closeouts? lol

I usually end up with about 350 domains at auction each day. At NameCult you can filter, sort and search. Just enter "Dictionary" in the search field and you'll find all dictionary words. Or you can also sort by GoDaddy valuation. The list is essentially the same here at NamePros, with the extra here being the links to Estibot, although with NamePros limiting each post to 150k characters I usually have to cap my list at 370 domains .. so on days when I have 400+ you'll only get the full list at NameCult. I always post at NameCult first .. but advantage at NamePros is that you get the notification (please do subscribe to both threads .. lol).

Eventually I'm going to get a newsletter going .. but I'm stretched extremely thin as I do have a regular "non-domain" job, dealing with a few "issues" that I won't get into here aside, and walk little Steamie (SteamieTheHotDog.com) a million miles a month! lol

The key is manually eyeballing the lists .. it helps me find great domains that bots and filters often miss. Which leads to finding unique names under the radar which usually results in less competition at auction. You can find a lot of my own personal buys in the "Domains You Won at Auction or Closeout" thread in the "Domain Buying and Domain Purchases" section of the forum.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What happens if a domain fails to get sold even in Godaddy Closeouts? Can we hand-register it again?

•••
After closeout the domain goes into the registrar redemption period for another 40-45 (varies a bit between various TLDs .. pretty sure .com is another 42 days after the first 42 of expiration).

After that the domain gets completely deleted from the registrar database. When effectively the domain no longer exists in any way and is available to hand-register (about 84 days after expiration for .com's).

However .. if it's a good domain it is often snatched up in the first seconds by the various drop-catch services .. at which point if only one person wanted it they would have gotten it via drop-catch .. or if many people wanted it at the drop-catch service that actually grabbed the domain first, then there would likely be an auction.

•••
By this, do we mean that first closeout>>expired auction>>pending delete>>available (if not bought)?
Please clarify, thanks!

•••
The order is ...

- Registered (before expiration)
- Expired (at expiration)
- Registrar redemption at GoDaddy, you can still renew but pay an extra fee (18 days after expiration)
- Listed for expiration auction (25 days after expiration)
- End of ability to renew domain at GoDaddy and some registrars (30 days after expiration)
- Expiration auctions ends (35 days after expiration)
- Domain closeout sale pricing (35 to 40 days after expiration)
- End of ability to renew domain at many registrars (40-42 days after expiration)
- Domain gets transferred to your account if won at GoDaddy Auctions or Closeout (41-42 days after expiration)
- The registrar (GoDaddy) loses control of domain to the registry (Verisign) as it goes into registry redemption. Can still be renewed by original owner for a larger registry redemption fee for most of this period. (42 to 84 days after expiration)
- The registry deletes the domain completely from it's database. (~84 days after expiration)
- The domain effectively does not exist so is available to hand-reg. (~84 days after expiration)
- Best domains get snatched up by drop-catch services in the first few seconds. (~84 days after expiration)

Note that I might be off by a day or so for the number of days after expiration. Also, those numbers vary for different TLD's .. the days I gave are for .com.

Do a search for "Domain Life-cycle" .. you'll get a lot of info ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back