Domain Empire

When buying a domain, do you expect to always get a discount on the asking price?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Me and another NP member are having a ridiculous battle over $10 and neither of us will back down on principle. He refuses to sell for a discount on his asking price and I refuse to pay his asking price without getting a discount. His contention is that asking prices are non-negotiable and mine is that they are always negotiable.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OMG, this topic just keeps getting better :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL:

•••
@wilfra What is the domain name???

"I would certainly accept numbers less than my $49 asking price -- and very much live up to what I'm saying as a seller.

I would never refuse a sale for $48 or $45, on ego. I'd be happy to have found a buyer.

Dude you just refuse to pay $0.01 more.

If I were the seller, I would definitely raise the price and say buy it or leave it.

Last edited:
•••
This is domainup comedy. OP rename this thread to "Penny Pincher" :ROFL::-P:xf.cry::ROFL::-P

•••
I would chip in that extra penny in gratitude for this thread.

•••
I think you should stare at the domain for at least another full hour. Glad you outed yourself as a time waster saves finding out later much later.

•••
•••
•••
penny for all his thoughts or for each one?

HeHe, I'm not sure I could handle more than one of his thoughts...

So my limit is 1 penny.... no negotiations!!! :xf.grin:

•••
If I give a customer the quote..." $10,000 and not a penny less." You bet i'm not discounting a penny! It's all about pride. :)

•••
we don't even have pennies in Canada anymore - thats sooo old school.

•••
You bet i'm not discounting a penny! It's all about pride. :)

This hilarious and hypocritical comment sums up the whole thread. It's fine for the seller to act that way but you criticize the buyer for doing the same thing.

"It's their domain!"
ya and "it's their money!" It's a lot easier to come by a $60 domain than it is to come buy a buyer willing to pay $50 for it. If one side lets the other walk based on pride, it's the seller who is the fool. The buyer can easily find another domain.

Last edited:
•••
...but the seller didnt start the silly thread

•••
Most of my sales are $8 expired domains sold only to end users generally in the range of 1-10k with a few oddballs below that range and a few well above that range. So would I flinch at a $60 price tag over $50=No as I wouldn't be buying it if I didn't think I can get at least $750-$1000 for it from an end user so only a $10 difference in profit margin.

Guessing your more of a flipper based on your signature links where a few bucks might make a difference as your profit margin is small. Not a model I've ever been into as it equals a job selling mass domains for small margins or a time investment. Buying the best domains you can find, enabling sales pages on them, entering them into distribution channels and having patience equals less sales, less work and still higher ROI. If a seller was firm on $60 I'd pay it if I thought the domain was worth it if not move on as you have 25 posts in this thread over $10. My time to post 25 posts is worth more than $10. So the question for me is always "What would an end user pay for this" and not a firm "I'm never gonna pay asking price" as I've been known to overpay people for domains or just round up.

This is 2017. We are in a dying industry. A buyer is a buyer, if you find one for your random domain, it's probably best to figure out the most they will pay and take it.

Domainer to domainer sales maybe. I use my own sales pages so I build names, company names, email addresses, phone numbers, ip address and this month is the strongest of 2017 for me so far on end user sales and inquiries. I've added 5 end user leads to my database in the last 2-3 days on 4 of my domains. Will those sales pan out not sure yet but the end user database just continues to build month after month for 14 years now and the end user offers I see don't say domains are dying just gotta get into the right market which isn't $49 domainer sales where $10 matters.

Last edited:
•••
we don't even have pennies in Canada anymore - thats sooo old school.

Good to know, I'll save the ones that end up in my American change then every so often. :ROFL:

•••
The context is a domainer-to-domainer sale. If you have a method that allows you to fleece morons consistently by selling them $8 domains, that sounds great for you. I have given up on that as a reliable moneymaker and am liquidating my portfolio (not flipping). The only domains I have bought for the last long while, are ones I'm developing.

•••
People use Twitter, Facebook, Yelp etc, instead of websites now. When they do want their own site, they have a million extensions to choose from now and lots of other options than buying a domain from a domainer. And they all know how it is to deal with domainers, so they see us as an annoying last resort. Many feel we are shady borderline scammers. That does not seem like a promising industry to be in, headed into the future.

Last edited:
•••
Most of my sales are $8 expired domains sold only to end users generally in the range of 1-10k with a few oddballs below that range and a few well above that range. So would I flinch at a $60 price tag over $50=No as I wouldn't be buying it if I didn't think I can get at least $750-$1000 for it from an end user so only a $10 difference in profit margin.

Guessing your more of a flipper based on your signature links where a few bucks might make a difference as your profit margin is small. Not a model I've ever been into as it equals a job selling mass domains for small margins or a time investment. Buying the best domains you can find, enabling sales pages on them, entering them into distribution channels and having patience equals less sales, less work and still higher ROI. If a seller was firm on $60 I'd pay it if I thought the domain was worth it if not move on as you have 25 posts in this thread over $10. My time to post 25 posts is worth more than $10. So the question for me is always "What would an end user pay for this" and not a firm "I'm never gonna pay asking price" as I've been known to overpay people for domains or just round up.

Domainer to domainer sales maybe. I use my own sales pages so I build names, company names, email addresses, phone numbers, ip address and this month is the strongest of 2017 for me so far on end user sales and inquiries. I've added 5 end user leads to my database in the last 2-3 days on 4 of my domains. Will those sales pan out not sure yet but the end user database just continues to build month after month for 14 years now and the end user offers I see don't say domains are dying just gotta get into the right market which isn't $49 domainer sales where $10 matters.

couldn't have said it better myself, a $50-$75 sale is just to cull the portfolio. Profits are made with my $x,xxx sales.

•••
I have never paid full price for anything - LOL
My wife hates it :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back