Dynadot

status-done What's with the new bumping rules?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so whats with the new bumping rules???? now sellers can spam and postpad and overcrowd their sale thread with meaningless comments literally after every single bid and nothing will happen???

how is this not postpadding or at least not just uselessly creating distractions and interference in the bidding process?

and yet this is allowed to go on .. following some recent bumping rules.

can you imagine the chaos if seller posts a new comment like "ok let's go boys!" after every single bid is placed... in every auction???????? 50 bids a day and 50 such comments in a day seems like a perfectly fine thing to do now on namepros.

come on mods. let's get serious. can't believe your letting stuff like this sit.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can somebody from the support team clearly state what the bumping rules are, which are currently in place? Because it seems to keep changing. I especially would like to know whether or not, editing your initial post is now counted a 1 bump, or not. For me. Editing the initial post should not be considered as a bump. A bump, is generally a gratuitous post to jump the thread to the top of the forum. Whereas an edit to a first post is generally for improving the information in the thread. Like removing sold domains, et al. I have no problem if that doesn't bump the thread. But I just cannot understand why, an edit to the first post, would ever be considered a bump. Or an edit to any post for that matter.

Last edited:
•••
Also. The rules for bumping should only apply to the OP. And not to the BUYERS in a SALES thread. As has happened in one case of mine.

Last edited:
•••
Because it seems to keep changing
It has not changed since our last message.

I especially would like to know whether or not, editing your initial post is now counted a 1 bump, or not.
At the moment, there appears to be a bug with editing recent posts and/or counting the first post as a bump causing less bumps to be available at times. @Paul Buonopane will fix that soon.

Also. The rules for bumping should only apply to the OP. And not to the BUYERS in a SALES thread. As has happened in one case of mine.
That is how it works. It's worked that way since we implemented the new bumping system, unless there is a rare bug that only happens to some members, some of the time. We haven't seen it ourselves yet or received screenshots of it.

We hope that helps.

Last edited:
•••
It has not changed since our last message.

At the moment, there appears to be a bug with editing recent posts and/or counting the first post as a bump causing less bumps to be available at times. @Paul Buonopane will fix that soon.

That is how it works. It's worked that way since we implemented the new bumping system, unless there is a rare bug that only happens to some members, some of the time. We haven't seen it ourselves yet or received screenshots of it.

We hope that helps.

Well can you please let us know when Paul fixes this. When I was asking for what the rules are currently. What I meant was how they were currently working. These are 2 different things. your rules are one thing, but they are not actually operating like that if Paul is having to fix bugs because they are not working as they should.

I gave you a screenshot. But then you asked for a screenshot which included the forum page number. Which I can understand. But you gave my thread a courtesy bump which destroyed the evidence. Which you don't seem to understand, that it was then impossible to take another screenshot with the old forum page number, after you bumped my thread.

•••
We did not notice any issues at the time of the courtesy bump.

•••
We did not notice any issues at the time of the courtesy bump.

Then you must have not looked for the page number when you investigated. You keep saying you haven't seen any evidence. But if you had looked for the page number before you gave the courtesy bump. You would have seen, as clear as daylight, that the last post was from a buyer. Not me. And the thread was still sitting on page 7 or 8. When it should have been the top post in the thread.

Last edited:
•••
And the thread was still sitting on page 7 or 8. When it should have been the top post in the thread.
Please provide a screenshot the next time you notice it. We do not have any other reports except yours about this particular issue, and we have not noticed it anywhere. Looking at the Buy Domains page, posts by buyers are bumping multiple threads without an issue. This particular bug appears to be rare and/or specific to you.

Thanks in advance for your help with providing the information we need to investigate further.

•••
so this is still not fixed.... and bumping is still a total mess on np.

I don't mind sellers posting 50 bump posts per day (actually I do..).. but I am watching a thread now.. with email notifications.. and every time seller bumps thread every few hours.. I get an email about it..

why not just fix this nonsense once and for all???

•••
so this is still not fixed.... and bumping is still a total mess on np.

I don't mind sellers posting 50 bump posts per day (actually I do..).. but I am watching a thread now.. with email notifications.. and every time seller bumps thread every few hours.. I get an email about it..

why not just fix this nonsense once and for all???

@Paul Buonopane

•••
so this is still not fixed
Please be specific. Exactly what is not fixed?

The bugs that exist right now cause less bumps than the system was intended to allow. Fixing those bugs will result in more bumps, and it's clear from your writing that is not what you want, so what is not fixed?

Thanks.

•••
Please be specific. Exactly what is not fixed?

The bugs that exist right now cause less bumps than the system was intended to allow. Fixing those bugs will result in more bumps, and it's clear from your writing that is not what you want, so what is not fixed?

Thanks.

I was very specific. and more than once.
and everyone seems to get it. so I refuse to blame myself for lack of clarity here.

I'll recap.. so perhaps you can unmark my thread as resolved which it isn't.. and hopefully fix the issues... for me.. and everyone else who thinks they should not be here... the truth is, nothing I wrote in this thread has been handled and or resolved.. so marking its status as solved is a falsity or bug in itself.

#1: disallow sellers to post bump messages more than once per 12 hours. even if, as you say, that does not bump the thread more than once per 12 hours.

#2: if you can do #1 then ignore #2... if you cannot do #1, then at least when they do uselessly bump them 50 times per 12 hours or after every bid etc, then prevent emails from being sent to people who watch those thread by email. so I do not have to get emails about update to thread which says "bump" every 10 mins.

thnaks!

Last edited:
•••
I think this is really easy to fix. It's not overly complicated. I think there is way too much thinking being put into this. Any post by the OP within 12hr (or 24hrs.. you decide) from their last post. Will not bump the thread.

•••
I think this is really easy to fix. It's not overly complicated. I think there is way too much thinking being put into this. Any post by the OP within 12hr (or 24hrs.. you decide) from their last post. Will not bump the thread.

thats already done they said ;]

now next fix is they should not even allow extra bump posts at all [after all whats the point of them if they do not bump thread at all]... so people watching threads by email do not get useless email notifications

•••
thats already done they said ;]

now next fix is they should not even allow extra bump posts at all [after all whats the point of them if they do not bump thread at all]... so people watching threads by email do not get useless email notifications

There could be many reasons for posting in a sales thread, besides bumping. I think they should be allowed to post in a thread. But the thread will not be bumped, if it doesn't comply with the 12hr/24hr rule. As I said. It's not complicated. This is being overthought. IMHO.

Maybe the solution for you would be to turn off your email notifications :) Or have better definition, other than global on/off?

Changes to any post, including the 1st post. Does not constitute a bump. Bumps only apply to new posts. Again IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
There could be many reasons for posting in a sales thread, besides bumping. I think they should be allowed to post in a thread. But the thread will not be bumped, if it doesn't comply with the 12hr/24hr rule. As I said. It's not complicated. This is being overthought. IMHO.

Maybe the solution for you would be to turn off your email notifications :) Or have better definition, other than global on/off?

Changes to any post, including the 1st post. Does not constitute a bump. Bumps only apply to new posts. Again IMHO.

yes i know
me im talking about posting bump posts
not those other 'many reasons for posting in a sales thread' ;]

Last edited:
•••
The thing that I see everyone hung up on here is the 12 hour rule, which is not in effect currently with the new rules to my understanding.
With a Blue Account, you get 4 bumps a day or one every 6 hours

upload_2018-6-20_20-14-23.png

With a Gold Account you get 5 bumps or one every 4.8 hours.
upload_2018-6-20_20-15-32.png

There is no more 12/24 hour standard from my understanding of this. Am I misunderstanding something? I am legitimately confused about the 12 hour standard being in place now and how it could be if you are an upgraded member with 4 or 5 bumps per day that you pay for.

•••
@alcy - Here's a few....

Telling a bidder his bid is invalid for whatever reason
Noting changes to the first post
BIN Added/Changed
Bumping
Sold

... but not limited to these.

Last edited:
•••
@WebSolutions.GA - Well there is a likely solution, right there, why there is too much bumping going on. I cannot see any real need for ANY bump, if the thread is still on the 1st page. IMHO. (If you really want to overthink this).

•••
The thing that I see everyone hung up on here is the 12 hour rule, which is not in effect currently with the new rules to my understanding.
With a Blue Account, you get 4 bumps a day or one every 6 hours

Show attachment 91387
With a Gold Account you get 5 bumps or one every 4.8 hours.
Show attachment 91388
There is no more 12/24 hour standard from my understanding of this. Am I misunderstanding something? I am legitimately confused about the 12 hour standard being in place now and how it could be if you are an upgraded member with 4 or 5 bumps per day that you pay for.
Thanks. That explains it.

•••
Most auction platforms do not allow any talk, chatter or discussion on an active auction. NP is different.

Perhaps if there was no manual bumping and the system automatically handled renewal of the auction threads, it would help members.

Possibly setting rules that disallow any chat even by the poster, within the auction thread, would eliminate this problem.

Who knows.

•••
Thanks. That explains it.
No problem.
I didn't mean to seem so blunt, but as @stub can tell you sometimes I just have to throw it out there because I can't think of a better way to explain myself.

•••
@alcy - Here's a few....

Telling a bidder his bid is invalid for whatever reason
Noting changes to the first post
BIN Added
Bumping
Sold

... but not limited to these.

ty
yes im aware of many needed posts by seller which are fine

my thread heres not about those
its exclusively about extra bump/up posts which do nothing except useless notifications/emails/thread clutter/wasted time reading them

ty

Last edited:
•••
ty

my thread heres not about those
its exclusively about extra bump/up posts which do nothing except useless notifications/emails/wasted time reading them

ty
Yes, especially on those multi-domain auctions. Can get confusing sometimes. :)

•••
@WebSolutions.GA - Well there is a likely solution, right there, why there is too much bumping going on. I cannot see any real need for ANY bump, if the thread is still on the 1st page. IMHO. (If you really want to overthink this).

I agree completely, and I do try to remember to look at the threads to make sure they aren't on the first page before I bump. But, at the same time, I am going to make sure to get my $10 a month out of it too. I don't try to overkill my posts and I know I am guilty of it from time to time. At the end of the day I want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for, but, if I over-do it and I don't realize that I am... I fully welcome someone to call me out for it. Via DM preferably.
If I ever am being that guy, I should have it brought to my attention:

I mean if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck.... It sure ain't no chicken...

•••
ty

my thread heres not about those. Its exclusively about extra bump/up posts which do nothing except useless notifications/emails/wasted time reading them

ty

I understand that. I misunderstood your post to mean that you didn't approve of any posts. My apologies.

I'm in 100% agreement with everything you have said. But you seem to have an additional problem, which I'm not experiencing, is every post in a thread is sending you an email notification. I can imagine that would be irritating.

We are both talking about the same thing here though. All this needless bumping. But I think @WebSolutions.GA has discovered why there are so many bumps/needless posts. It's because it is allowed on Blue and Gold Accounts. Although I haven't physically cross-checked if it is Blue or Gold Accounts. But I'm a tad surprised that it's taken a User rather than a Mod to point this out.

Such a blanket rule, is ludicrous. IMHO There are probably only 2 forums which actually need any rules. Which is Auctions & Fixed Price. On every other Domain MarketPlace you probably don't need any rules at all related to bumping. If I missed any forum out. Then just add it to these 2.

For those high traffic forums, like Auctions & Fixed Price. I think Blue & Gold privileges should be curtailed to the same as other Members, for the interest of the general improvement in quality of the forums.

But, for me personally. I would not bump any post which is on the 1st page of any thread. If at all possible.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back