Domain Empire

status-done What's with the new bumping rules?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so whats with the new bumping rules???? now sellers can spam and postpad and overcrowd their sale thread with meaningless comments literally after every single bid and nothing will happen???

how is this not postpadding or at least not just uselessly creating distractions and interference in the bidding process?

and yet this is allowed to go on .. following some recent bumping rules.

can you imagine the chaos if seller posts a new comment like "ok let's go boys!" after every single bid is placed... in every auction???????? 50 bids a day and 50 such comments in a day seems like a perfectly fine thing to do now on namepros.

come on mods. let's get serious. can't believe your letting stuff like this sit.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The new bump system does not require any intervention from us or any reports from members.

If a post is posted too soon, it will show up in the thread but it will be ignored and it will not bump the thread. If it is posted when a bump is permitted, then it will bump the thread.

It's simple, automated, and doesn't require any work from anyone. :)

Learn more:

Note: We're experimenting with different bump processes at the moment to discover what will bring buyers and sellers the most value. Once we finish and finalize it, we will announce it.

•••
The thing that I see everyone hung up on here is the 12 hour rule, which is not in effect currently with the new rules to my understanding.
With a Blue Account, you get 4 bumps a day or one every 6 hours

upload_2018-6-20_20-14-23.png

With a Gold Account you get 5 bumps or one every 4.8 hours.
upload_2018-6-20_20-15-32.png

There is no more 12/24 hour standard from my understanding of this. Am I misunderstanding something? I am legitimately confused about the 12 hour standard being in place now and how it could be if you are an upgraded member with 4 or 5 bumps per day that you pay for.

•••
I think posts in the sales area don't show up in post count and that would make it not post-padding per se.
But I thought the rule was only 2 bumps per day (every 12 hours) - have to report the excess bumps I think.

•••
If the thread really gets bumped only when posts are distanced by at least 12 hours I don't see any issue with a seller keeping bidders' attention high.

Actually by posting often the thread never gets bumped because at every post the "12 hour clock" is reset, meaning if you post every hour or every 5 you never have a 12 hour pause between your own posts.

•••
it also creates needless alerts by email or on np...when watching thread

thinking there are new bids

•••
The detailed study of the rules, logic and human behaviours of bumping would be called bump science.

I would just point out that as of this instant you can hand register bump.science (in fact just $0.48 + $0.18 at NC!).

I left it for one of you, as I already own too many domains I will never sell! :xf.frown:

ps It's worth $450 according to GoDaddy GoValue. Seems low :)

Last edited:
•••
Ty for your bids is ridiculous and should not be allowed, except for your 12 hour bump, same with let's go more bids. That's the bump allowed. You should reply to someone bidding $1 when increment is $2 etc...

I guess what some are asking is if something doesn't bump the thread, does the seller have the right to post as often as they like? Knowing only once every 12 hours will bump the thread.

•••
I have no idea whether this is possible. But another solution might be to only allow a bump if the thread is not on page 1 of the forum. But even this might lead to a bumping frenzy of competition. However a 12hr time limit between bumps would help to curtail any frenzy. At least somewhat.

•••
Thanks. That explains it.
No problem.
I didn't mean to seem so blunt, but as @stub can tell you sometimes I just have to throw it out there because I can't think of a better way to explain myself.

•••
If its a reply to a bid ,i don't see how it makes much difference.The bid bumps the thread anyway and the ops replies will only bump the thread once every 12hours
I think everyone has the right to reply to their own sales thread as much as they like

•••
The overcrowding of a sales thread with bump posts?
We have a great solution for that coming soon. :)
Hopefully something simple like a "bump" button. Click it when can bump and it'll bump the thread to the top without any posts being made. Click it when you can't bump and it'll say "not for X more hours yet" ;)

•••
I'm 200% with @alcy on this. The current "test" system isn't good at all. I don't actually see why a seller would need to bump a thread more than every 12hrs. Everything more than that is sheer overkill. And annoying, whether it actually bumps the thread or not. It might be even worse, if it doesn't bump the thread. Because then it is 100% REDUNDANT.

•••
I say we allow as much bumping as we want and even multiple bumps by entering

bumpety-bump, bumpety-bump, bumpety-bump as many times as we want.

So without having the monotonous concerns of coming back to the same darn post time after time the system will automatically bump it for us multiple times per day :xf.wink:

•••
Don't forget the rights of the readers of these forums. We have as much rights as those posting the sales. If you favor the rights of only the sellers, none of whom have contributed to this conversation, I think you will be doing a disservice to the rest of us.

•••
Most auction platforms do not allow any talk, chatter or discussion on an active auction. NP is different.

Perhaps if there was no manual bumping and the system automatically handled renewal of the auction threads, it would help members.

Possibly setting rules that disallow any chat even by the poster, within the auction thread, would eliminate this problem.

Who knows.

•••
ty
yes im aware of many needed posts by seller which are fine

my thread heres not about those
its exclusively about extra bump/up posts which do nothing except useless notifications/emails/wasted time reading them

ty
Yes, especially on those multi-domain auctions. Can get confusing sometimes. :)

•••
@WebSolutions.GA - Well there is a likely solution, right there, why there is too much bumping going on. I cannot see any real need for ANY bump, if the thread is still on the 1st page. IMHO. (If you really want to overthink this).

I agree completely, and I do try to remember to look at the threads to make sure they aren't on the first page before I bump. But, at the same time, I am going to make sure to get my $10 a month out of it too. I don't try to overkill my posts and I know I am guilty of it from time to time. At the end of the day I want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for, but, if I over-do it and I don't realize that I am... I fully welcome someone to call me out for it. Via DM preferably.
If I ever am being that guy, I should have it brought to my attention:

I mean if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck.... It sure ain't no chicken...

•••
ty
yes im aware of many needed posts by seller which are fine

my thread heres not about those. Its exclusively about extra bump/up posts which do nothing except useless notifications/emails/wasted time reading them

ty

I understand that. I misunderstood your post to mean that you didn't approve of any posts. My apologies.

I'm in 100% agreement with everything you have said. But you seem to have an additional problem, which I'm not experiencing, is every post in a thread is sending you an email notification. I can imagine that would be irritating.

We are both talking about the same thing here though. All this needless bumping. But I think @WebSolutions.GA has discovered why there are so many bumps/needless posts. It's because it is allowed on Blue and Gold Accounts. Although I haven't physically cross-checked if it is Blue or Gold Accounts. But I'm a tad surprised that it's taken a User rather than a Mod to point this out.

Such a blanket rule, is ludicrous. IMHO There are probably only 2 forums which actually need any rules. Which is Auctions & Fixed Price. On every other Domain MarketPlace you probably don't need any rules at all related to bumping. If I missed any forum out. Then just add it to these 2.

For those high traffic forums, like Auctions & Fixed Price. I think Blue & Gold privileges should be curtailed to the same as other Members, for the interest of the general improvement in quality of the forums.

But, for me personally. I would not bump any post which is on the 1st page of any thread. If at all possible.

•••
What is ludicrous, is basically what @alcy is experiencing. But any bump when the thread is on the first page, is also ludicrous. Bumps 4/5 times in 24 hrs is ludicrous.

I can agree with you on the aspect of bumping a thread on the first page, that is unnecessary.
However, with the increased numbers of members especially upgraded members, and having them bumping their threads all at once (Again, I have been guilty of this too, I readily admit it). If you have 2 Gold Members with their limit of listings that bump all of their listings at the same time, that will essentially cover the entire first page. I have experienced it regularly that when I bump my thread, shortly thereafter I will see that another member with multiple gold accounts has bumped all of their listings and mine are now on the bottom of the second page or even on the third page.
So 4-5 Bumps in 24 hours IMHO isn't too far fetched, it allows us members that don't have multiple accounts to be able to get our listings back to the first page.

I think a better solution would be that if you bump one thread you should have to wait a minimum of an hour to bump another thread. That would eliminate the problem of posts that were just bumped at 7am being knocked back down to page 2 or 3 by a member that has 4 accounts with 6 listings each at 730 am.

Just my thoughts on it and experience.

•••
At the moment, there are around 10 unique members on the first page (25 listings in total), which is an average of 2.5 listings per member on the first page. We could change that by forcing bumps to be spread out, but that would require a lot more time from sellers, and with the new bump system, sellers can bump whenever they have bumps available to bring themselves back to the top of the first page.

The current system allows sellers to use their own strategies and determine the times they want to use their bumps for more exposure. If you get bumped off the first page shortly after you bumped, then you can bump again to return to the first page, as long as you have bumps left.

I don't think that you should have to force them to be spread out, I think it should fall on the sellers to have mutual respect. I know I try to spread mine out throughout the day now, I have experienced what it is like to have to bump your thread back to the top literally after less than 20 minutes because one member with multiple accounts decided to just bump every single auction one right after the other. Again, I have done this before and I don't dispute that, but after experiencing having auctions get very few views because I had been put right back down to the second or third page, after just bumping my thread up. I have tried to be sure to 1. look at the threads placement and 2. Space out the bumps to threads.

Something sellers forget, often times the same people that are bidding on your names are selling names as well at the same time. A little bit of respect for the other sellers goes a long way. That same seller that you just caused their listing that they just bumped to be put back on page 2 or 3 might be the buyer that was going to pay your full BIN but instead decided to pass on the thread entirely because they feel as if they have been disrespected.

It's just my opinion and it isn't worth much, but, it is mine..

•••
If the thread really gets bumped only when posts are distanced by at least 12 hours I don't see any issue with a seller keeping bidders' attention high.

Actually by posting often the thread never gets bumped because at every post the "12 hour clock" is reset, meaning if you post every hour or every 5 you never have a 12 hour pause between your own posts.

good point. I guess stupidity and greediness sometimes has opposite effect and instead of getting you more, gets you nothing at all.

Last edited:
•••
anything u can say in reply to specific scenario in my thread?
Which part, specifically?

The overcrowding of a sales thread with bump posts?

We have a great solution for that coming soon. :)

•••
well... with or without your new bump rules, I don't believe your goal is to have every auction and seller write a "ty for your bid" or "let's see more bids" post after every single 1$ increment... 50 or 100 times a day... should there be 50 or 100 bids per day on auction.. etc...

therefore when reports of such things happen, I think they should be acted on. even now, before your future automation routines are implemented.

Last edited:
•••
The only downside for me with the bumps is if I am bidding on an auction (which right now I am and the OP is bumping a few times a day) I get the alerts constantly. I have enough alerts as it is ;) .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back