NameSilo

What's the most important lesson you've learned domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Jumping back into the business after being out of it for many years. Seems like a lot has changed and there is an overwhelming amount of information floating about. Seems like a lot of sharks too! As such, I thought I'd solcit input from all of you fellow domainers regarding important lessons that you have learned along the way. What's your best piece of advice, so a beginner doesn't get burned? Thanks in advance for any educational responses you can provide!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
finding end users is the easy part:

GOOGLE the domain's keywords (ex. "Garage Kits") for GarageKits.com
estibot has a nice lead generation tool
leadrefs pulls up similar domains

•••
I agree

finding end users is the easy part:

GOOGLE the domain's keywords (ex. "Garage Kits") for GarageKits.com
estibot has a nice lead generation tool
leadrefs pulls up similar domains

This is exactly how I find end users remember guys you also need some good negotiating and persuasive skills too. There are hundreds of companies waiting to buy your domains they just don't know it yet :) is up to you to find, convince and present them with a case as to WHY they should buy your domains.

Richface

•••
I'm sorry to say this but I completely agree with DubDubDubDot and you'll thank everybody for it later believe me...

Your portfolio at vinsdomains / com contains some of the worst domains I have ever seen. My advice: let all the artist, charity, most misc, motivational, religious and sports domains expire.

Keep the 4 letter ones for the time being and focus on 1 or 2 domains for developing. Only reasonable ones I see are making / euros / com and fab / views / com. old / diamond / rings / com may have some potential as well if you can develop it in the right way.

Sorry to break it to you in this way, don't hate me for it and just ignore my post if you think it's unimportant. But please at least consider it for 10 seconds.

Thanks and good luck in the future.

•••
here is some of what i learn during this years =)

- if you have a site selling domains, never ever, use free services ( like blogspot,google sites,and do on... ) real buyers will likely to stay away from "free sites", and it doesn't give you any credibility...

- when making your company site on your non-native language, pay someone native to correct your content, don't trust free translators unless you aren't serious in getting the foreign visitors as clients.

- for beginners, don't buy domains you think you can flip, start buy buying domains, put a mini-site on it and sell the domain+site.

- if you buy a domain to be a brand skip this one :P always check google adwords tool to see the exact searches local and global of the domain you want to buy or dev ( in the language of the domain of course... )

- don't trust entirely what you read - you do have a head don't you? - test things for your self after reading. if 10 ppl say different things, maybe all of them are true,maybe all of them are lies..

hmm this is enough i think =)

•••
Love the suggestions JFS but to add my personal experience!
- if you have a site selling domains, never ever, use free services ( like blogspot,google sites,and do on... ) real buyers will likely to stay away from "free sites", and it doesn't give you any credibility...
If you're on a tight budget and or new to this..start with a free site (learn some basic coding, promoting etc), be surprised if you get any traffic or sales, but sticking at it, will give you "hands on" experience! Start saving money and move it to a paid hosting site with a good domain name.

Last edited:
•••
well if i see a site "googlesites" one, and selling a domain for like 2k would you buy it ? even if the domain was worth more ?

•••
well if i see a site "googlesites" one, and selling a domain for like 2k would you buy it ? even if the domain was worth more ?
(1) Not sure why you are trying to debate "my personal experience" and what I thought was a tip for those new to domaining! But
(2) Again my personal opinion...if you had a "google site" and were selling a 2 k domain....I sure would do research to see if the domain was worth (or potentially) worth 2k!
(3) Bottomline isn't a domain worth what the buyer is willing to pay...

•••
(1) Not sure why you are trying to debate "my personal experience" and what I thought was a tip for those new to domaining! But
(2) Again my personal opinion...if you had a "google site" and were selling a 2 k domain....I sure would do research to see if the domain was worth (or potentially) worth 2k!
(3) Bottomline isn't a domain worth what the buyer is willing to pay...

Bottom line, what JFS is trying to say is, present yourself professionally to give potential buyers a greater sense of trust.

•••
Bottom line, what JFS is trying to say is, present yourself professionally to give potential buyers a greater sense of trust.
Thanks for your interpretation of what another member posted!

•••

nicelly put =) thanks, i can't express myself that well in english ehehe, sorry =)

•••
One of the most commonly heard thngs in domaining: Buy less, develop more.

•••
One of the most commonly heard thngs in domaining: Buy less, develop more.

It's also one of the most stupid things domainers say, imho. Most domainers wouldn't don't how to develop a cold.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Also..

I re-iterate. Ignore 99% of advice you are given by domainers.

•••
Would you mind to tell?

don't agree there.

It's not difficult to register 3-4 names daily and sell them for low $xxx within a few days.
A few hours work and some sharp research.

Would you mind to tell at least a little about your "A few hours work and some sharp research."

Hope this is a request from all newbies like me and will help all of us.

Regards

•••
Would you mind to tell at least a little about your "A few hours work and some sharp research."

Regards

It means:

- near perfect knowledge of langauge (near native) exmpl. favour / favor ... AE/BE
- more than 4-5 years of internet 'browsing'
- understanding of moneyflow
- good understanding of marketing
- business knowledge
- good understanding of search engine/s
- know what happens behind the scene in company

when you have all this ;) it takes 3-4 hours

:tu:

--

•••

Regards

For a lot of people sharp research and few hours work means "frontrunning".

Look it up. :hearts:

•••
Also..

Spot on. I recently sold a domain here for $x

Now it is up for sale for $800.-

ooopsss

•••
It's not difficult to register 3-4 names daily and sell them for low $xxx within a few days.

How is that possible? My registrar (Godaddy.com) requires you wait 90 days on a newly registered domain, before initiating a transfer or push.

•••
Also..

Spot on. I recently sold a domain here for $x

Now it is up for sale for $800.-

ooopsss

Hasn't sold though, right?

•••
How is that possible? My registrar (Godaddy.com) requires you wait 90 days on a newly registered domain, before initiating a transfer or push.

You can push to another godaddy account anytime.

•••
don't agree there.

Maybe this is true for full-time domainers. This happened only once to me, I sold a newly regged name for more than $2000. I take it as one-off incident, can't generalise it.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

In fact, people make more money by investing in new TLDs (premium names) during the land rush period and flipping the names within the hyped period.

•••
You can push to another godaddy account anytime

I did not realize this. Thank you for the tip ;)

•••
•••
I have learned a couple things in domaining.
One is that there is more money lost than made in domaining :notme:

•••
I think it is like Forex. 95% lose their shirt. :)

•••
I'm very happy I started this! An abundance of really really good information, opinions and advice. Thanks to all who have posted so far and for taking the time. It's nice to see there are some dolphins in this sea and not all sharks! Really happy to be aboard!!

vinsdomains.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back