Dynadot

What's one domain trend you regretted buying into?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Way3

Branding and Domain InvestingEstablished Member
Impact
What is the one domain trend over the years that you most regretted buying into?

I'll start - early on in my investing I saw someone, somewhere (Twitter?) saying that they'd sold a .fr domain, and they said they were making a fortune selling country specific domains only. Being new, I just bought up a slew of .fr domains - that was years ago, long story short that went nowhere, and I quickly let go of that.

Learning lessons are the best. :xf.rolleyes:

btw - if you are new to domaining, some country based tlds sell very well. Not that one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
but I'm just getting ones I will develop.
Don't do it with .biz mate, please don't do it. You'll regret it. Nobody trusts .biz.

•••
I registered a dozen of hepticglov & metaglov domains.

Do nt think they will sell

I have a bunch of dao domains, lets see where they go

•••
I think that there are now over 1,000 different extensions available (maybe someone can confirm exact number for clarity) and in my opinion they are only introduced so that someone can make money from naive or irrational registrations.

They then know that they will drop and the cycle repeats itself. Now, IMHO some of the alternative name combinations and extensions are actually very good as brands but not as domain names. However, as I always expect the unexpected I appreciate that sometimes lightening does strike once and I have a few odds/randoms which at one point made goo sense in my tiny little head. Live and learn I guess.

Some would argue that I have too many (some) hyphenated names but slowly they rise. This in the annuls of history may prove to be my downfall and in 1,000 years people will say....Reddstagg, never heard of them!!!

A balanced portfolio is always a good idea in any investment strategy but never get in too deep or pend money that you can't afford to lose and remember that the value of your domain portfolio will go down as well as go down!!! LOL

Enjoy the ride.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
•••
and remember that the value of your domain portfolio will go down as well as go down!!!
Favourite quote of the weekend, nice one mate!

•••
I try not have regrets just drops as and regret some of those as well. I could say that i have had industries lose popularity but at same time could regret wanting to think about this so much when could have speculated other things.

•••
May all these misguided extension purchases now RIP.
RIP

Ah, I had completely forgotten about .name domains. I registered quite a few .names back in 2004, ironically including successful, opportunity and, relevant for this thread, trends :ROFL:
Only ended up selling one .name and that was for next to nothing (200 namepros bucks) her on namepros.
Lol

I guess we keep on learning from our mistakes, but wonder, do the tld owners as well learn from theirs!

•••
Not being rude, but do you mean your choices of .uk and .co.uk have been a disaster?

DomainPriceDateVenue
newfreebets.co.uk5,929 USD2022-08-14Andy.co.uk
whitehall.co.uk6,378 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
role.co.uk9,851 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
energybills.co.uk9,629 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
brotherhood.co.uk627 USD2022-08-02Catched.com
careersbox.co.uk3,017 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
clarendon.co.uk9,084 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
awa.co.uk9,921 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
prized.co.uk7,414 USD2022-07-19Sedo
ssa.co.uk9,041 USD2022-07-17DomainLore.uk

DomainPriceDateVenue
meteo.uk1,483 USD2022-08-16Sedo
emma.uk3,616 USD2022-08-14Andy.co.uk
cheltenham.uk1,311 USD2022-05-08DomainLore.uk
poole.uk1,204 USD2022-05-08DomainLore.uk
motorcycles.uk1,257 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
scotch.uk7,156 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
fudge.uk7,743 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
elevate.uk7,402 USD2022-02-27DomainLore.uk
pave.uk7,478 USD2022-02-13DomainLore.uk
outpost.uk2,430 USD2022-02-04Sedo
I own some nice .co.uk/.uk but sales volume and amounts compared to .com or .xyz is very low.

The 20 sales above are for the whole namespace which is twice the size of .com or .xyz as they have 2 extensions.

The majority of domains go unsold for £50 and it is not a very liquid market.

•••
I own some nice .co.uk/.uk but sales volume and amounts compared to .com or .xyz is very low.

The 20 sales above are for the whole namespace which is twice the size of .com or .xyz as they have 2 extensions.

The majority of domains go unsold for £50 and it is not a very liquid market.
Interested to know what UK and .xyz names you've sold and rough ranges if you care to oblige. No worries if not

•••
Not being rude, but do you mean your choices of .uk and .co.uk have been a disaster?

DomainPriceDateVenue
newfreebets.co.uk5,929 USD2022-08-14Andy.co.uk
whitehall.co.uk6,378 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
role.co.uk9,851 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
energybills.co.uk9,629 USD2022-08-14DomainLore.uk
brotherhood.co.uk627 USD2022-08-02Catched.com
careersbox.co.uk3,017 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
clarendon.co.uk9,084 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
awa.co.uk9,921 USD2022-07-31DomainLore.uk
prized.co.uk7,414 USD2022-07-19Sedo
ssa.co.uk9,041 USD2022-07-17DomainLore.uk

DomainPriceDateVenue
meteo.uk1,483 USD2022-08-16Sedo
emma.uk3,616 USD2022-08-14Andy.co.uk
cheltenham.uk1,311 USD2022-05-08DomainLore.uk
poole.uk1,204 USD2022-05-08DomainLore.uk
motorcycles.uk1,257 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
scotch.uk7,156 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
fudge.uk7,743 USD2022-04-24DomainLore.uk
elevate.uk7,402 USD2022-02-27DomainLore.uk
pave.uk7,478 USD2022-02-13DomainLore.uk
outpost.uk2,430 USD2022-02-04Sedo
DomainLore is mainly a reseller marketplace.......Check most (not all) of the sales listed and they don't have end user sites

Also when you copy and paste from Namebio, the prices change - Example - role.co.uk sold for $1,560 and is listed by the new owner for £3,250 on Dan ......

The co.uk market is a tough nut - one guy on here owns thousands of them, really nice portfolio......A big mistake when I was starting out was buying a load of co.uk domains thinking they where good - they weren't.

•••
•••
NFT. Including SH - approved.

Still having many, about to expire soon. Haven't sold a single one for whatever reason.

Edit: Sold several metaverse domains, some even weaker overall. So metaverse did pay off well. But the even shorter .com NFT's? Nay.
Ironically , Nfts.com sold for 15m

•••
•••
.mobi argh!!!
LOL, me too. It didn't kill me financially because they were so cheap, but I did buy a few hundred back when it looked like they were going somewhere.

•••
.mobi
.ws
.biz
.us

In that order. I'm starting to like .biz again mostly because there are some great terms available again, but I'm just getting ones I will develop.

•••
.mobi
.ws
.biz
.us

In that order. I'm starting to like .biz again mostly because there are some great terms available again, but I'm just getting ones I will develop.

There recently seemed to be some attempt to revive .us interest, but in the United States the popular use seems to be for official sites of cities and towns.

•••
Back in 2016, I had been domaining for less than 1 year when I got swept away by the 6N .com craze. At one point there was talk that all 6Ns .com had been registered so I tried to get as many as I could from sellers on here. Bought a bunch of random useless 6Ns that I dropped a few years later. I knew that pattern was important with 6Ns but thought that eventually lesser 6Ns would be worth enough for me to get a decent return on my investment :xf.rolleyes:

•••
What is the one domain trend over the years that you most regretted buying into?

I'll start - early on in my investing I saw someone, somewhere (Twitter?) saying that they'd sold a .fr domain, and they said they were making a fortune selling country specific domains only. Being new, I just bought up a slew of .fr domains - that was years ago, long story short that went nowhere, and I quickly let go of that.

Learning lessons are the best. :xf.rolleyes:

btw - if you are new to domaining, some country based tlds sell very well. Not that one.
Hi Bob, I live in France and have bought a few .fr domains but never sold one. Actually, I have just looked, and I only have one - Pinyin.fr because pinyin is an international word I presumed it would be good. I live in hope

•••
7N (NNNNNNN ) .com during chinese number boom in 2016

•••
Regged a few VASP names, when I started domaining last year.

•••
SBS extension. I buy two SBS extension domain name. But now I thinking, am I did wrong?

•••
Regging in random extensions seems to be a common trend. I was also in that trap for a while where I would register a domain idea in multiple extensions, .co .us .biz .info .org etc... I was sucked in by GD's bundle and "save" offers. I stopped doing that right before I joined this forum.

After that, I tried going back in and scooping up dictionary words for new extensions and the appeal is just not there. The only one that did just decent was .gg

I barely even go for .net or .org now unless it's a personal project or high-interest dictionary word. 90% of my portfolio is .com now.

•••
I can relate to this.

There was a time when .name domains got really famous and everyone wanted a domain matching their name with the .name or .me tld. I got into the hype and got some of them to eventually realise that it was just a hype that people bought into and the hype died down, so did i let my .name and .me domains go away
May all these misguided extension purchases now RIP.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz was my worst mistake. Lots of singular one word domains with no offers for years. Luckily I’ve let them all expire.

•••
I can relate to this.

There was a time when .name domains got really famous and everyone wanted a domain matching their name with the .name or .me tld. I got into the hype and got some of them to eventually realise that it was just a hype that people bought into and the hype died down, so did i let my .name and .me domains go away
Ah, I had completely forgotten about .name domains. I registered quite a few .names back in 2004, ironically including successful, opportunity and, relevant for this thread, trends :ROFL:
Only ended up selling one .name and that was for next to nothing (200 namepros bucks) her on namepros.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back