Domain Empire

What's high traffic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I have seen many comments like "decent traffic" etc in the appraisal forum> people are saying this about sites ranging from 20 - 500 uniques a day.

What do you really think is decent traffic?

I know this is hard to answer but as it depends on a few things but take a stab using a developed site thats at least a year old.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
aspiramedia said:
Hi,

I have seen many comments like "decent traffic" etc in the appraisal forum> people are saying this about sites ranging from 20 - 500 uniques a day.

What do you really think is decent traffic?

I know this is hard to answer but as it depends on a few things but take a stab using a developed site thats at least a year old.

tough to answer like you said, but i'll give it a shot:
If it's just a simple mini site that doesn't change often .. then I'd say 300/month is "decent" ... around 10/uniques a day...
if you promote and change the site often, 1,000/uniques a month is more "decent"!

•••
+/- 100 views/day on a parking page since 1 month... Is it decent?

•••
thats some nice traffic. what name is it?

•••
I believe about 100 uniques per day is much better

•••
planetcall said:

I said "views" because it is the title of the column in my Namedrive account...

@kevmacmeh: PM sent

•••
planetcall said:

Well yeah... haha, 1000 is better than 100, too... we could do this all day!

•••
Any parked, non-developed, domain getting over about 20 uniques per day is a good amount of traffic. Of course, the more the better.

CTR is another thing to consider. I've noticed that some of my parked domains have gotten over 200 uniques on one day but no clicks. Arg.... It makes me wonder about the quality of the traffic if there are no clicks.

•••
So a site of mine has 30,000 - 100,000 uniques a month - it changes often. Is that 'high traffic' ?

•••
aspiramedia said:
So a site of mine has 30,000 - 100,000 uniques a month - it changes often. Is that 'high traffic' ?
100,000 uniques a month? That would rate as "very high traffic", :imho: :D

Other than the obvious extremes, (ie 100,000/mo or 10/mo), it's tough to quantify a value for "high", "medium" or "low" traffic There is no established standard so what is "high traffic"to one, might be averege or mediocre traffic for another. Additionally, the quality of the traffic is as important as, if not more important than, the volume. All things being equal, I'd rather have 10 uniques or visits /da w/ 3 affiliate click-thrus than 100 uniques/ da on a jump-off page in a commercially weak category that received zero click-throughs/da.

•••
One rule of thumb that I try to use is the criteria set out by sites like adbrite. They are looking for sites that have 3,000+ uniques a month... so 100 unique visitors a day is where you need to get to in order to be considered "high" traffic IMHO...

•••
And to satisfy my curiousity:

Does this (high traffic) mean a domain is much more valuable? How much does it affect the value?

(Again, I know there are no certains in this - I'm just asking for some general answers)

•••
yeah i agree wif fonzie..
high traffic is good but high CTR is also important..i have one domain that receives 400+ uniques but only about 15 clicks.. so low..
n if to compare another domain i have 100 unique in last mth but clicks was also 15.. so ctr is very important..

•••
linker said:
One rule of thumb that I try to use is the criteria set out by sites like adbrite. They are looking for sites that have 3,000+ uniques a month... so 100 unique visitors a day is where you need to get to in order to be considered "high" traffic IMHO...
Thanks linker. That good to know.
Does this (high traffic) mean a domain is much more valuable?
Yes. It effects the value and the liquidity. There are always buyers searching for domains w/ traffic.
How much does it affect the value?
There are far too many factors involved to answer this definitively, IMHO. Traffic will, of course, factor into the amt of revenue that a domain generates which can be assigned a value. The formual for calculating the sales price for a domain based upon income varies but the general concensus seems to calculate the sales price at about 2 1/2 - 3 X the yearly revenue. ie $1000 income = $2,500-$3,000 sales price. Again, this varies from domain to domain.

Because you are asking some very basic questions, if you do have some domains that are generating high volume or if you are thinking about making a purchase, it would. probably, be best to hold off for awhile and get a feel for the lay of the land before making any moves.

Last edited:
•••
Grrilla,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not selling that domain by any means at the moment but was just getting a feel for the domains industry using my site as an example.

Many thanks.

•••
aspiramedia said:
And to satisfy my curiousity:

Does this (high traffic) mean a domain is much more valuable? How much does it affect the value?

(Again, I know there are no certains in this - I'm just asking for some general answers)

More traffic = more ad clicks = more valuable. Depends on the click-thru rate, of course. Depends well targetting the domain name is, if you know the visitors are going there for something specific, ads can be targetted to that, therefore lots of click-thrus. If it's just general traffic, it's harder to target ads, therefore less revenue.

•••
I would say 30+ uniques a day is decent, 100+ uniques a day can be considered good traffic, 500+ very good, 1000+ extremely good.

My fight song page was getting around 150 uniques/day during March Madness, but now that college sports has cooled down, I'm only getting around 40-50. Come football season I am expecting around 250/day.

So it can also depend on the site you have and if it is seasonal

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back